Boldface math/greek font?
Author Message
 Boldface math/greek font?

I use Ventura Publisher and a postscript printer to typeset books.
One customer has given me a manuscript that calls for boldface
mathematical symbols and Greek letters.  The "Symbol" font that
is included in the standard 35 resident Postscript fonts does not
come in boldface (or italic).  Judging from the Adobe catalog, there
is no math typeface available from Adobe in bold and italic.  Does
anyone know of any other Postscript typeface that I can buy?  Or is
there another way to skin this cat?  Thanks!

David

--
                 David McCune, Sage Publications, Inc.
           2111 West Hillcrest Drive, Newbury Park, CA 91320

Wed, 17 Feb 1993 15:39:00 GMT
 Boldface math/greek font?

Quote:
> I use Ventura Publisher and a Postscript printer to typeset books.
> One customer has given me a manuscript that calls for boldface
> mathematical symbols and Greek letters.  The "Symbol" font that
> is included in the standard 35 resident Postscript fonts does not
> come in boldface (or italic).  Judging from the Adobe catalog, there
> is no math typeface available from Adobe in bold and italic.  Does
> anyone know of any other Postscript typeface that I can buy?  Or is
> there another way to skin this cat?  Thanks!

>                  David McCune, Sage Publications, Inc.

Here's an incredibly savage way of getting ersatz bold, italic,
and bold italic 10 point Symbol:

/S10-Bold {dup /Symbol findfont 1000 scalefont setfont 0 0 moveto show
           30 0 moveto show} bind def
/S10-Italic{/Symbol findfont [1000 0 267.95 1000 0 0] makefont setfont
            0 0 moveto show} bind def
/S10-BoldItalic{dup /Symbol findfont [1000 0 267.95 1000 0 0] makefont setfont
                0 0 moveto show 30 0 moveto show} bind def

Hold your stomach -- they aren't pleasant, and depending on the width
of the character, you may have problems with some wide characters
going off the edge of the bounding box.
--
Clayton E. Cramer {pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer
What shall it be today?  Watch Three's Company?  Or unify the field theory?

Wed, 17 Feb 1993 17:36:00 GMT
 Boldface math/greek font?
For non-Adobe math and symbol laser fonts, try the LaserTECH set from:

        Linguist's Software
        925 Hindley Lane
        Edmonds WA 98020
        (206) 775-1130

Wed, 17 Feb 1993 23:54:00 GMT
 Boldface math/greek font?

Quote:
> One customer [needs] boldface mathematical symbols and Greek letters.
> The "Symbol" font ... does not come in boldface (or italic).

You can get somewhat the effect of bold by expanding the font in the X
direction.  Instead of italic, you might try oblique.  Such variants can
be created by twiddling the FontMatrix.

Wed, 17 Feb 1993 04:02:00 GMT

1. Need units

2. Searching bold Symbol/Greek/Math font

3. Times Greek boldface/italic and Times vs Symbol

4. data modules

5. Open dialog

6. cyrillic fonts & math fonts

7. Greek Fonts for Ghostscript