Downloading PS Header files to LW from Mac?
Author Message
 Downloading PS Header files to LW from Mac?

I'm writing an application that uses a lot of custom postscript routines
and need to download a header(dictionary) prior to sending any hard data.

The only way IM discusses sending PostScript to a LaserWriter is with the
use of PicComments, and these have to be sent between the open and close
page commands and, as such, the printer state is restored between pages and
any header file would have to be downloaded for each page. Not very
efficient!

Obviously it is possible to send header info that lasts the duration of
the print job as many major graphics applications do so.

Can anyone point me towards some info on this area? Apple seems to be
deliberately vague about the inner workings of their printer drivers.

Many Thanks

Simon Ward

Thu, 01 May 1997 13:51:36 GMT
 Downloading PS Header files to LW from Mac?

Isn't that what the "LaserWriter Utility" is supposed to be used for ?

--
Peter Van Avermaet
Digital Equipment

Mon, 05 May 1997 20:39:36 GMT
 Downloading PS Header files to LW from Mac?

Quote:

> Isn't that what the "LaserWriter Utility" is supposed to be used for ?

One might think so, but it may depend on which version of software and
printer you have, whether it can download just a header, then not flush it
when you try the print job.

--
Peter Kerr                             bodger
School of Music                        chandler

Tue, 06 May 1997 04:27:19 GMT
 Downloading PS Header files to LW from Mac?

Quote:

> > Isn't that what the "LaserWriter Utility" is supposed to be used for ?

> One might think so, but it may depend on which version of software and
> printer you have, whether it can download just a header, then not flush it
> when you try the print job.

That's a function of the contents of the PostScript file, not of the
downloader program.  All effects of the downloaded PostScript are flushed
at the end of the PAP session, unless the PostScript includes an "exitserver"
command.

-- Bruce

Tue, 06 May 1997 21:02:35 GMT
 Downloading PS Header files to LW from Mac?

Quote:
>Isn't that what the "LaserWriter Utility" is supposed to be used for ?

Hmm, I can just see the page in the instruction manual:

        1  Launch "LaserWriter Utility" (If you have insufficient memory
           you may have to quit "Wiz-Bang App")
        2  Locate file "Wiz-Bang Header.ps"
        3  Download "Wiz-Bang Header.ps" to printer
        4  Quit "LaserWriter Utility"
        5  Reactivate or re-launch "Wiz-Bang App"
        6  Select "Print..." from the File Menu
        7  .......................................

I've since learnt that any data in a 'PREC' resource (ID 103) that is in
an open resource file will be treated as a PS header and automatically
downloaded by the printer driver.

Thanks for everyone's interest.

Simon Ward

Wed, 07 May 1997 06:32:11 GMT
 Downloading PS Header files to LW from Mac?

Quote:

> unless the PostScript includes an "exitserver" command.

AldusPrep was known to do that. There may be others. Hence my warning,
which was a little loosely worded sorry.

--
Peter Kerr                             bodger
School of Music                        chandler
University of Auckland                 neo-Luddite

Wed, 07 May 1997 09:23:37 GMT

1. Downloading Mac ps file to UNIX postscript printer

2. Downloading PS file from Mac

3. Downloading PS Files From Workstation to Mac

4. auto downloading header file in windows?

5. Need help to view Mac Adobe Illustrator files saved without preview headers

6. pstool/Mac downloading PS fonts

7. PS file to print Apple LW config?

8. Setting LW IIg serial parameters through serial download

9. MAC problem? - downloading binary files

10. MAC problem? - downloading binary files

11. MS Word generates PS-2.0, LW-II is PS-1.0

12. PS Rip for Mac Needed (Comp proofs of sep'd PS files)