Ghostscript: eps->tiff fails w/o err msg
Author Message
 Ghostscript: eps->tiff fails w/o err msg

In installed GNU Ghostscript 7.05 on Win98 (2nd ed.).
Here's my version info (redacted at <snip>):
vvvvv
GNU Ghostscript 7.05 (2002-04-22)
<snip>
Input formats: postscript PostScriptLevel1 PostScriptLevel2 PDF
Available devices:
   <snip>
   pbmraw pgm pgmraw pgnm pgnmraw tiffcrle tiffg3 tiffg32d tiffg4 tifflzw
   tiffpack bmpmono bmpgray bmp16 bmp256 bmp16m tiff12nc tiff24nc psmono bit
   <snip>
Search path:
   . ; C:\Program Files\gs\gs7.05\lib ; C:\Program Files\gs\fonts ;
   c:/gs/gs7.05/lib ; c:/gs/fonts
For more information, see c:/gs/gs7.05/doc/Use.htm.

^^^^^
I have been trying to convert eps from Adobe InDesign (2.0 and 1.5)
and Photoshop 6.0.1 and have run into the following problem.
Essentially I have grayscale images in TIFF lzw format at 400dpi
and their are exported as eps with no preview, PS 2, Hi Res,
grayscale ASCII with or without fonts.

Using GSview for Windows, version 4.2 (2002-02-07) I am able
to open the eps files and convert them.  I want to be able to
create TIFF with lzw at 400 dpi.  When I use the
tifflzw or tiffpack devices set with "400" or "400x400" in
the menu, the results are compromised... it appears that they
are RIPed at a lower resolution than 400.  The documentation
does not indicate any limitations on resolution; in fact,
the "manual.pdf"  provided with the Windows zip file suggests
that resolution may be whatever, e.g. "-r600".
On the other hand, GSview's menu displays 4 presets, with 204x96
as the highest resolution, when I select either the tifflzw
or tiffpack devices; this suggests there is a limitation.
Finally, if I convert using the color tiff devices (need only to
use the 12 since 24 is overkill for the 8 bits of gray scale
I use) my images come out fine and conversion is acceptable.
Accodingly, since I was able to manually convert the files
within GSview, I know that my files can be converted and it
is just a question of settings, path (see supra), or whatever.

Question #1:  Are there resoultion limitations for the tifflzw
and tiffpack devices?

Using GS, I am able to view the eps images.  For example:

   >gswin32 test1.eps

produces both windows, one with the interpreters prompt
and one with the image at a high resolution.

The problem arises when I try a conversion.
When I run a script that attempts to convert,
the interpreter provides me a ready prompt with no error
message and no converted file.  It seems to me that
if the program croaks, it should say so.  This looks
like a situation of a silent bug. Moreover,
it appears that a conversion is possible with the
existing code as a session with GSview presumably uses
the same librarys.

Here is my conversion session:

where params1.txt has the following:

-sDEVICE=tifflzw -r400
-sOutputFile=test1.tif
test1.eps

I even tried the above params1.txt without the "-r400" to
see if a default value would work. Again, the same
output: nothing and no error message.

Note: I discovered the installation routine for windows did
not create any type of permanent PATH setting, so I
included in my DOS sessions the appropriate PATH settings:

[next 3 lines are actually one continuous line]
PATH=C:\PERL\BIN;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;
c:\"Program Files"\gs\gs7.05\bin;
c:\"Program Files"\gs\gs7.05\lib

I am wondering if there is a PATH issue at play since
GSview is able to perform the conversion and GS is not.
This dichotomy or results coupled with the fact that the
GS installation did not correctly provide
for a PATH setting causes me to believe there is
a basic setting missing somewhere that GSview takes care
of and GS does not.

Note: I was able to perform a conversion of the sample tiger.ps
included with the installation using GS, so this problem does
not seem to be dependent upon the quality or nature of
input file.

Question #2: Has anyone successfully converted eps files
to TIFF using GS as generically installed on Windows98?

Question #3: Does GSview use any error overrides that
allow it to complete a conversion where GS might halt
upon the first instance of an error?

Question #4: Are there any settings for GS that will allow
it to bypass certain error conditionss -- assuming the
answer to Question #3 above is "yes"

Thank you for any help/pointers.

John Laurence Poole

Fri, 15 Oct 2004 08:54:23 GMT
 Ghostscript: eps->tiff fails w/o err msg

Quote:
> In installed GNU Ghostscript 7.05 on Win98 (2nd ed.).
> Here's my version info (redacted at <snip>):
> vvvvv
> GNU Ghostscript 7.05 (2002-04-22)
> I have been trying to convert eps from Adobe InDesign (2.0 and 1.5)
> and Photoshop 6.0.1 and have run into the following problem.
> Essentially I have grayscale images in TIFF lzw format at 400dpi
> and their are exported as eps with no preview, PS 2, Hi Res,
> grayscale ASCII with or without fonts.

If you wish to add a preview, see "epstool" included with GSview.

Quote:
> Using GSview for Windows, version 4.2 (2002-02-07) I am able
> to open the eps files and convert them.  I want to be able to
> create TIFF with lzw at 400 dpi.  When I use the
> tifflzw or tiffpack devices set with "400" or "400x400" in
> the menu, the results are compromised... it appears that they
> are RIPed at a lower resolution than 400.

I tried this and got 400dpi, monochrome with halftoning.

Quote:
>  The documentation
> does not indicate any limitations on resolution; in fact,
> the "manual.pdf"  provided with the Windows zip file suggests
> that resolution may be whatever, e.g. "-r600".
> On the other hand, GSview's menu displays 4 presets, with 204x96
> as the highest resolution, when I select either the tifflzw
> or tiffpack devices; this suggests there is a limitation.

The GSview resolutions are only suggestions for this device.
They are common resolutions for facsimile.

Some printer devices have limited values for the resolution,
but the bitmap output devices like tifflzw do not.

Quote:
> Finally, if I convert using the color tiff devices (need only to
> use the 12 since 24 is overkill for the 8 bits of gray scale
> I use) my images come out fine and conversion is acceptable.
> Accodingly, since I was able to manually convert the files
> within GSview, I know that my files can be converted and it
> is just a question of settings, path (see supra), or whatever.

> Question #1:  Are there resoultion limitations for the tifflzw
> and tiffpack devices?

Not that I know about, apart from available memory, disk space etc.

Quote:
> Using GS, I am able to view the eps images.  For example:

>    >gswin32 test1.eps

> produces both windows, one with the interpreters prompt
> and one with the image at a high resolution.

> The problem arises when I try a conversion.
> When I run a script that attempts to convert,
> the interpreter provides me a ready prompt with no error
> message and no converted file.  It seems to me that
> if the program croaks, it should say so.  This looks
> like a situation of a silent bug. Moreover,
> it appears that a conversion is possible with the
> existing code as a session with GSview presumably uses
> the same librarys.

GSview recognises that it is an EPS file and that it might
not contain a showpage.  GSview disables showpage in
the EPS file, renders it, then executes a single showpage.
Something like
save /GSview_save exch def
/showpage {} def
% insert EPS here
GSview_save restore
showpage

This is your problem.

By the way, if you get an "invalidrestore" error then it isn't
a valid EPS file.

Quote:
> Note: I discovered the installation routine for windows did
> not create any type of permanent PATH setting, so I
> included in my DOS sessions the appropriate PATH settings:

> [next 3 lines are actually one continuous line]
> PATH=C:\PERL\BIN;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;
> c:\"Program Files"\gs\gs7.05\bin;
> c:\"Program Files"\gs\gs7.05\lib

Yes, this is required if you with to use something like ps2pdf.
For your application, you could make do with
  "c:\program files\gs\gs7.05\bin\gswin32c" ...

Quote:
> I am wondering if there is a PATH issue at play since

It is not a PATH problem.

Quote:
> Question #3: Does GSview use any error overrides that
> allow it to complete a conversion where GS might halt
> upon the first instance of an error?

No.

Sat, 16 Oct 2004 19:36:04 GMT

1. Help: EPS->TIFF with ghostscript

2. GhostScript: EPS->TIFF and some glitches

3. Q: eps->tiff but having tiff file cropped to BBox dim

4. PS->TIFF, PCL->TIFF, PCL->PS

5. TIFF/EPS -> EPS with G4 compression

6. Normal EPS -> EPS with TIFF

7. EPS -> TIFF on Mac OSX

8. Autoconvert EPS -> TIFF

9. Shareware EPS -> WMF, TIFF, ETC

10. EPS->TIFF or Other Scalable

11. WANTED: EPS -> TIFF Translator

12. How to convert EPS to TIFF with Ghostscript ?