postscript abreviations
Author Message
 postscript abreviations

Hi

I have come across the use of abreviations in postscript generated by the
adobe postscript print driver and other sources. For example xS => xShow.

Is there anywhere I can go for a complete list of abreviations, I can't find
the in the language reference or on any sites I have found.

Any ideas????

Cheers

Mark

Sun, 07 Mar 2004 09:49:10 GMT
 postscript abreviations

Quote:
>  Is there anywhere I can go for a complete list of
>  abreviations, I can't find the in the language reference or
>  on any sites I have found.

>  Any ideas????

There is no consistency. You can trace through
the 'def' commands in postscript source, but it can be
a LONG painful process.

It used to be the case that speed of printing related most
strongly to the length of the postscript file, which led to a
lot of very obfuscated postscript code.

--
Dave Blake

Sun, 07 Mar 2004 10:50:28 GMT
 postscript abreviations
Thanks, that makes a bit more sense now I didn't realise that all the
commands where being given alias.

Mark

Quote:

> >  Is there anywhere I can go for a complete list of
> >  abreviations, I can't find the in the language reference or
> >  on any sites I have found.

> >  Any ideas????

> There is no consistency. You can trace through
> the 'def' commands in postscript source, but it can be
> a LONG painful process.

> It used to be the case that speed of printing related most
> strongly to the length of the postscript file, which led to a
> lot of very obfuscated postscript code.

> --
> Dave Blake

Sun, 07 Mar 2004 11:42:33 GMT
 postscript abreviations

Quote:

>Thanks, that makes a bit more sense now I didn't realise that all the
>commands where being given alias.

>Mark

>> >  Is there anywhere I can go for a complete list of
>> >  abreviations, I can't find the in the language reference or
>> >  on any sites I have found.

>> >  Any ideas????

>> There is no consistency. You can trace through
>> the 'def' commands in postscript source, but it can be
>> a LONG painful process.

>> It used to be the case that speed of printing related most
>> strongly to the length of the postscript file, which led to a
>> lot of very obfuscated postscript code.

The problem is compounded by shorthand abbreviations often being given to
a series of procedures which themselves are abbreviated.
This was originally for quicker parsing by the PS interpreter but mainly
for the programmer to obfuscate his porcedures to make them less hackable.
Rather like the early engineers making their own nuts and bolts so no one
else could do the repair work.

Cappella Archive, Book on Demand Editions
The TinyDict mark-up for self-printing books
www.cappella-archive.com

Sat, 13 Mar 2004 04:34:04 GMT

1. rotate postscript file -rotate postscript file -rotate postscript file -

2. Apple postscript to non-apple postscript -- laser-not-apple

3. PostScript in PostScript

4. PostScript to Encapsulated PostScript Utility?

5. PostScript interpreter in PostScript bug fix

6. A PostScript interpreter written in PostScript

7. PostScript Fonts, was (Re: PostScript compatible printers)

8. about info-postscript and comp.lang.postscript

9. When is PostScript not PostScript?

10. Converting PostScript 3 to Postscript 2 or 1

11. Downloading Postscript Files to a Postscript Printer

12. Including another postscript file in a postscript file