Question: How to print small books?
Author Message
 Question: How to print small books?

Is there a package that allows you to print several pages to
doublesided sheets of paper, so that you later can fold, cut and
staple the papers, and get a small booklet.

For instance if you want a booklet of 8 pages or less you have to
print:
Dotted lines are where to fold. UD means that the side is printed
upside down.

        ----------.----------
        | Page 5UD  Page4UD |
        |         .         |
        |         .         |
        |         .         |
        |         .         |
        |         .         |
        |         .         |
        |         .         |
        |         .         |
        | Page 8    Page 1  |
        ----------.----------

and on the flip side

        ----------.----------
        | Page 3UD. Page 6UD|
        |         .         |
        |         .         |
        |         .         |
        |         .         |
        |         .         |
        |         .         |
        |         .         |
        |         .         |
        | Page 2  . Page 7  |
        ----------.----------

This would be very useful for printing Address Books or any
kind of registers.

/Dag

Wed, 16 Aug 1995 18:15:14 GMT
 Question: How to print small books?

Quote:
>Is there a package that allows you to print several pages to
>doublesided sheets of paper, so that you later can fold, cut and
>staple the papers, and get a small booklet.

  [ diagrams deleted ]

Quote:
>/Dag

There is/was a program called 4Print that did exactly that. You could
print fours on one side, or eights with double-sides. Don't know much more
than that, though, nor whether it could easily do this with PS files.

    Steven Cherry

Thu, 17 Aug 1995 04:34:42 GMT
 Question: How to print small books?

Quote:

>>Is there a package that allows you to print several pages to
>>doublesided sheets of paper, so that you later can fold, cut and
>>staple the papers, and get a small booklet.

>  [ diagrams deleted ]

>>/Dag

Pagemaker 5.0 will support this feature.

--

TONY THOMAS - SIGop - Audio Arts SIG - Cleveland FreeNet
"True riches is not what you have - It's the kind of person you are"

Thu, 17 Aug 1995 23:21:06 GMT
 Question: How to print small books?

Quote:
>Is there a package that allows you to print several pages to
>doublesided sheets of paper, so that you later can fold, cut and
>staple the papers, and get a small booklet.

What you want is called imposition software.  I know of no non-commercial
software and the commercial stuff is very expensive.  As in the >$6000
range.  If you're still interested, drop me some email and I'll look
up some brand names.

Someone else suggested 4print.  That is not imposition softwware.  It merely
takes 4 pages of ascii print and places them front and back, landscape
oriented, onto one page of paper.  No rotation or other gymnastics are
involved and it only works with ascii text.

john
--
John De Armond, WD4OQC               |Interested in high performance mobility?
Performance Engineering Magazine(TM) | Interested in high tech and computers?

Need Usenet public Access in Atlanta?  Write Me for info on Dixie.com.

Fri, 18 Aug 1995 10:19:58 GMT
 Question: How to print small books?
actually the psutils can generate book "signatures" which you can double side
and all that...

            | uunet!mntgfx!sboyle    |  8005 S.W. Boeckman Road     |
            |                        |  Wilsonville, OR 97070-7777  |
            |       "Intrinsically lazy, therefore creative"        |

Sat, 19 Aug 1995 04:47:59 GMT
 Question: How to print small books?

Quote:

>>Is there a package that allows you to print several pages to
>>doublesided sheets of paper, so that you later can fold, cut and
>>staple the papers, and get a small booklet.

>  [ diagrams deleted ]

>>/Dag

>There is/was a program called 4Print that did exactly that. You could
>print fours on one side, or eights with double-sides. Don't know much more
>than that, though, nor whether it could easily do this with PS files.

>    Steven Cherry

I currently use a utility called 'MPAGE' to make small books.  The
program takes normal ASCII text files and prints 1,2,or 4 pages of the
text file on one side of a sheet of paper. It prints them in this
format:

        ---------
        |       |       |
        | 1     | 2     |
        |       |       |
        ---------
        |       |       |
        | 3     | 4     |
        |       |       |
        ---------

I then cut the page up like this:

    ---------
    |   |   |
    | 1 | 2 |
    |   |   |
    ---------

    ---------
    |   |   |
    | 3 | 4 |
    |   |   |
    ---------

I then fold them in half and staple all the pages together. This method
works great, except a program that writes on both front and back would
be much better.

I hope this helps.

Sat, 19 Aug 1995 13:12:59 GMT
 Question: How to print small books?

It should be no problem to do this with postscript documents that follow
the DSC and have no dependencies between pages. Normally, every better
printer spooler software allows you to print n-up, and also to select
dbl- or singleside and tumble. The only thing to do would be to get the
pages in the right order before n-up'ing them.

--
+-o-+--------------------------------------------------------------+-o-+
| o |                \\\-  Brain Inside -///                       | o |

+-o-+--------------------------------------------------------------+-o-+

Sat, 26 Aug 1995 23:37:47 GMT

1. Small problem/question

2. printing with smaller fonts from netscape/linux

3. Printing a large page as many smaller ones?

4. Printing prob with small memory printer

5. Can't print to small slip of paper

6. postscript printing offset on small page

7. PS won't print on small paper size

8. 4 small pages on a printed page

9. Cannot print this small PS file

10. Printing from ASP - How to make font smaller

11. Recommendation Wanted: Typeface for very small print

12. Postscript printing small and mirrorimaged!!