Help w/Mathematica/Postscript/LaTeX
Author Message
 Help w/Mathematica/Postscript/LaTeX

I hope discussing{*filter*}in this group isn't a faux pas.

I'm having trouble including Mathematica postscript output in my{*filter*}
files.  Printing selections in Mathematica produces output that takes up
a whole page.  The figures show up in Latex, but they're a bear to scale
and place so that they don't interfere with anything else.  The program
psfix doesn't seem to do much of anything, nor does changing the
BoundingBox in the ps file (though I really have no clue about postscript.)
Any ideas?  Thanks in advance,

Dave Cook

Fri, 25 Jul 1997 10:43:58 GMT
 Help w/Mathematica/Postscript/LaTeX

Quote:
>I'm having trouble including Mathematica Postscript output in
>my{*filter*}files.

Ahem, well I read back through some older posts and found some
helpful info on bounding boxes.  It seems to do the trick.
Still, if you have any hints on how to make the job an easier
I'd be very grateful.

Dave Cook

Fri, 25 Jul 1997 11:10:24 GMT
 Help w/Mathematica/Postscript/LaTeX

Quote:
>I hope discussing{*filter*}in this group isn't a faux pas.
>I'm having trouble including Mathematica Postscript output in my{*filter*}
>files.  Printing selections in Mathematica produces output that takes up
>a whole page.  The figures show up in Latex, but they're a bear to scale
>and place so that they don't interfere with anything else.  The program
>psfix doesn't seem to do much of anything, nor does changing the
>BoundingBox in the ps file (though I really have no clue about postscript.)
>Any ideas?  Thanks in advance,
>Dave Cook

Mathematica seems to make the bounding box larger than necessary to
postscript output.  You need to edit the 2nd and 4th numbers in the
bounding box (add 100, and subtract 100, respectively .. about).  For
scaling the figures, you can use psfig's size option (I usually tell
it to scale it to be a constant width).

John Lockwood                  | Electrical & Computer Engineering

phone: (217) 244-1565; Fax (217) 244-8371
address: 405 N. Mathews Ave., Urbana, IL  61801
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Fri, 25 Jul 1997 12:47:27 GMT
 Help w/Mathematica/Postscript/LaTeX

Quote:
> I'm having trouble including Mathematica Postscript output in my{*filter*}
> files.  Printing selections in Mathematica produces output that takes up
> a whole page.  The figures show up in Latex, but they're a bear to scale
> and place so that they don't interfere with anything else.  The program
> psfix doesn't seem to do much of anything, nor does changing the
> BoundingBox in the ps file (though I really have no clue about postscript.)
> Any ideas?  Thanks in advance,

I never had any problems using Mathematica postscript files. Here is
what I normally do:

\begin{document}
\input psfig
\begin{figure}
        \centerline{\psfig{figure=fig3.ps,height=90mm,rheight=75mm}}
\end{figure}
\end{document}

Here I am using a package psfig to include the figure. Another
possibility is to use epsf, that also works.

Morten

Fri, 25 Jul 1997 22:22:22 GMT
 Help w/Mathematica/Postscript/LaTeX

Quote:

>> I'm having trouble including Mathematica Postscript output in my{*filter*}
>> files.  Printing selections in Mathematica produces output that takes up
>> a whole page.  The figures show up in Latex, but they're a bear to scale
>> and place so that they don't interfere with anything else.  The program
>> psfix doesn't seem to do much of anything, nor does changing the
>> BoundingBox in the ps file (though I really have no clue about postscript.)
>> Any ideas?  Thanks in advance,
>I never had any problems using Mathematica postscript files. Here is
>what I normally do:
>\begin{document}
>\input psfig
>\begin{figure}
>    \centerline{\psfig{figure=fig3.ps,height=90mm,rheight=75mm}}
>\end{figure}
>\end{document}
>Here I am using a package psfig to include the figure. Another
>possibility is to use epsf, that also works.

In order to use either psfig or epsf TeX macros, you need to create an
encapsulated postscript file (with a bounding box).  Here is how I do
that from within mathematica under UNIX.  The procedure might be
somewhat different if you are running a mathematica front end.

1. First create the graphic.  Say it is Output[20]

2. Execute the mathematica command: Display["graph.ps",%20].  Here
"graph.ps" is whatever file name you want to give to the file.

3. At the UNIX prompt, execute: psfix -epsf graph.ps >graph.eps
You can add other psfix options if you wish.

4. Now you can follow the above procedure for psfix from within your TeX
document.  (Using graph.eps instead of fig3.ps, of course.)

cliff bergman

--
Cliff Bergman

Wed, 30 Jul 1997 03:04:02 GMT

1. eps mathematica fonts/latex

2. Postscript file by Mathematica, help!

3. Postscript within TeX/LaTeX (dvi2ps help)?

4. Help on including Postscript file in Latex

5. Need help including Mac PostScript in LaTeX documents

6. HELP - Printing the Postscript file included with Latex

7. Latex/Postscript macro help

8. Help needed to access fonts in PS file created by Mathematica

9. LIMITATIONS OF POSTSCRIPT INTERPRETER IN MATHEMATICA?

10. printing from mathematica to non-postscript printer with gs

11. Cropping a postscript graphic in Unix -how? (Mathematica)

12. Mathematica Postscript output