Maddening ghostscript printer problem (RH6 to Win98)
Author Message
 Maddening ghostscript printer problem (RH6 to Win98)

I have a small LAN at home, with all the PCs running Linux except one
running Win98, which has an HP870C on it. My problem is, I can print text
and postscript from all the Linux machines, except my main Linux system
(syrinx) from which I can only sucessfully print text. When I use the
printtool to print a Postscript test file, the printer data light flashes,
and after awhile the error light comes on. Pushing the advance button starts
the print, but all I get on the paper is:

Unrecoverable error: invalidfileaccess in  .setdevice
                                                     Operand stack:
                                                                --nostring

which I assume is a error message from ghostscript. (Spacing is almost
exactly as I show above, except the last line "--nostring" is several
spaces to the right of where the text on the line above it ends.)

I have tried comparing everything I can think of between the working Linux
systems and the non-working one. I have checked permissions of directories
and files in the print system as per the various howtos. (Side note: the
Printing howto refers to a "Printing to Windows mini-howto". I have not been
able to find this, if anyone knows where it is or could email me a copy I'd
appreciate it). As my system started "life" as a RH5.2 system, which was
subsequently upgraded to the 2.2 kernel, then RH6, I suspect the problem is
with my system configuration, not a network problem. Printing has been
broken or semi-broken for awhile; possibly what broke it was trying the CUPS
unix printing system, but that's just a guess (cups is long since
uninstalled). I can print text, and also ghostscript works fine for viewing,
just not printing.

My system is:
RedHat 6 Intel
ghostscript-5.10.7
samba-2.0.3-8
lpr-0.35-1

As far as samba goes, filesharing works fine, as does text-only printing.
/etc/smb.conf:

[global]
security=share
printing=bsd
printcap name=/etc/printcap
lpq command =/usr/bin/lpq -P%p
lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -P%p %j
load printers=yes

socket options=TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SOBUF=8192
lock directory=/usr/local/samba/var/locks
case sensitive=no
log file=/var/log/samba/log.%m
log level=3
hosts allow=192.168.9. 127.
keep alive=60
guest account=sammy
server string=Samba Server
dns proxy=no
null passwords=yes
client code page=437
domain master=yes
domain logons=yes
encrypt passwords=no
smb passwd file=/usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
preserve case=yes
workgroup=WORKGROUP
max log size=50
wins support=yes
share modes=yes
write raw=yes
short preserve case=no
lm announce=yes
interfaces=192.168.9.1/255.255.255.0
read prediction=yes
[homes]
default case=lower
guest ok=yes
case sensitive=no
comment=Home Directories
mangle case=no
read only=no
share modes=no
mangled names=no
writable=yes
path=/home/netlogon
writable=yes
[samba]

comment=Samba Dir
path=/usr/local/samba
writeable=yes
[syrinx]
default case=lower
case sensitive=no
directory mask=0000
public=yes
comment=Whole drive
preserve case=yes
mangle case=no
read only=no
writable=yes
path=/
writeable=yes
create mask=0000
[tmp]
default case=lower
service type=fileservice
case sensitive=no
public=yes
comment=Temporary file space
preserve case=yes
mangle case=no
read only=no
path=/tmp
writeable=yes

[printers]
printable=yes
comment = All Printers
path=/var/spool/samba
guest ok = Yes
print ok = Yes
browseable = No
public=yes
create mask=0700

Thu, 21 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Maddening ghostscript printer problem (RH6 to Win98)

Quote:
>My problem is, I can print text
>and postscript from all the Linux machines, except my main Linux system
>(syrinx) from which I can only sucessfully print text.

Did you compare syrinx's /etc/printcap to the same file on your
other Linux boxes?

(followups to comp.os.linux.setup)

Fri, 22 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Problems with Ghostscript and Win98

2. GS6.5 installation problem on RH6.0

3. Maddening DateAdd Problem

4. Removing printer in Win98 using a script - help!

5. Rename Printer (Win98)

6. Connect Win98 shared printers to Win2k workstation

7. delete printers in Win98&2000

8. Problem with ghostscript and a color printer

9. Problem compiling/installing GhostScript for 890C printer

10. ghostscript problem: position of the output with different printers

11. Win95 postscript problem printing to shared Ghostscript printer

12. Problem with Ghostscript / 24pin printer