Help: Freehand TIFF output chokes printers but not ghostview
Author Message
 Help: Freehand TIFF output chokes printers but not ghostview

I am working on a project that involves saving Freehand (Macintosh)
files in postscript format (via "print to a file") and then printing
the postscript files on a color printer on a Unix Platform.  I made a
file today which ghostview (a Postscript previewer) is completely happy
with, but it makes both the color Postscript printer and my B&W printer
in my office choke.  It starts to go wrong in the middle of a TIFF
image embedded in the Postscript file.  I have no idea what a TIFF
image would have in it that would be okay for a previewer but not for
an actual printer.  It looks like it is off by only one byte, but the
error propagates and eventually the page rendering crashes.  When I
preview the TIFF file directly (with JPEGview or xv) without embedding
it in the Freehand document, it looks fine.   What is going wrong and
what can I do about it?

Please send a copy of your reply by mail.

--
   /\   Greg Kuperberg
  /  \  Department of Mathematics, UC Davis

   \/   http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~greg/

Sun, 10 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help: Freehand TIFF output chokes printers but not ghostview

Quote:

> >I am working on a project that involves saving Freehand (Macintosh)
> >files in Postscript format (via "print to a file") and then printing
> >the postscript files on a color printer on a Unix Platform.  I made a
> >file today which ghostview (a Postscript previewer) is completely happy
> >with, but it makes both the color Postscript printer and my B&W printer
> >in my office choke.  It starts to go wrong in the middle of a TIFF
> >image embedded in the Postscript file.

> The plot thickens!  The Postscript file is now 2 and 2:  Ghostscript
> and my printer at home do fine with it, two other printers make a
> propagating mistake in the middle of a TIFF file.  My printer at home
> is an Apple LaserWriter 320; the two printers at work that have trouble
> are a Hewlett-Packard MP5 and a Tektronix dye sublimation printer.

The problem is probably that the binary data is being corrupted. If
FreeHand gives you the option to save out the TIFF using ASCII data,
then it should be more portable. Otherwise you may need to open the TIFF
in PhotoShop, save it out as an EPS, and include that in your FreeHand
file.

--

Principal Software Developer Tel: (604) 451-2700 x2329 Burnaby B.C.
Creo Products Inc.           Fax: (604) 437-9891       Canada V5G 4M1

Sun, 10 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help: Freehand TIFF output chokes printers but not ghostview

Quote:

> I am working on a project that involves saving Freehand (Macintosh)
> files in Postscript format (via "print to a file") and then printing
> the postscript files on a color printer on a Unix Platform.  I made a
> file today which ghostview (a Postscript previewer) is completely happy
> with, but it makes both the color Postscript printer and my B&W printer
> in my office choke.  It starts to go wrong in the middle of a TIFF
> image embedded in the Postscript file.  I have no idea what a TIFF
> image would have in it that would be okay for a previewer but not for
> an actual printer.  It looks like it is off by only one byte, but the
> error propagates and eventually the page rendering crashes.  When I
> preview the TIFF file directly (with JPEGview or xv) without embedding
> it in the Freehand document, it looks fine.   What is going wrong and
> what can I do about it?

Greg, this might be a stupid question, but have you tried printing the
postscript file to any non-unix postscript printers for comparison? I
can't think of any good reason for it to fail, unless there's some
specific corruption in the TIFF.

Things to try:
1. Try downloading the file to any mac or pc postcript printer
2. Try copying the tiff into a new file (in photoshop?)

Bentley Wolfe, Macromedia

Sun, 10 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help: Freehand TIFF output chokes printers but not ghostview

Quote:

>I am working on a project that involves saving Freehand (Macintosh)
>files in Postscript format (via "print to a file") and then printing
>the postscript files on a color printer on a Unix Platform.  I made a
>file today which ghostview (a Postscript previewer) is completely happy
>with, but it makes both the color Postscript printer and my B&W printer
>in my office choke.  It starts to go wrong in the middle of a TIFF
>image embedded in the Postscript file.

The plot thickens!  The Postscript file is now 2 and 2:  Ghostscript
and my printer at home do fine with it, two other printers make a
propagating mistake in the middle of a TIFF file.  My printer at home
is an Apple LaserWriter 320; the two printers at work that have trouble
are a Hewlett-Packard MP5 and a Tektronix dye sublimation printer.
--
   /\   Greg Kuperberg
  /  \  Department of Mathematics, UC Davis

   \/   http://www.math.ucdavis.edu/~greg/

Mon, 11 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help: Freehand TIFF output chokes printers but not ghostview

-snip-

Quote:
> The plot thickens!  The Postscript file is now 2 and 2:  Ghostscript
> and my printer at home do fine with it, two other printers make a
> propagating mistake in the middle of a TIFF file.  My printer at home
> is an Apple LaserWriter 320; the two printers at work that have trouble
> are a Hewlett-Packard MP5 and a Tektronix dye sublimation printer.

Greg, Dave's advice is spot on. Sorry I hadn't thought of it.

In FH7's File menu, choose "Output Options." There is a pulldown menu
labeled "Images". On the Mac it defaults to Binary. Choose ASCII here
and you _may_ be alright.

Regards
Bentley Wolfe
Macromedia Tech Support

Mon, 11 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help: Freehand TIFF output chokes printers but not ghostview

Quote:

> >I am working on a project that involves saving Freehand (Macintosh)
> >files in Postscript format (via "print to a file") and then printing
> >the postscript files on a color printer on a Unix Platform.

Just to add to the scroll rate, how are you passing the file through
Unix?  If it is going through any sed or awk filters, it will lose
data.  Try a straight lpr and see if that works.

You might also look at the printcap to see if there is anything weird
happening there.

FWIW - Keith

Mon, 11 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help: Freehand TIFF output chokes printers but not ghostview

Quote:

>>I am working on a project that involves saving Freehand (Macintosh)
>>files in Postscript format (via "print to a file") and then printing
>>the postscript files on a color printer on a Unix Platform.  I made a
>>file today which ghostview (a Postscript previewer) is completely happy
>>with, but it makes both the color Postscript printer and my B&W printer
>>in my office choke.  It starts to go wrong in the middle of a TIFF
>>image embedded in the Postscript file.
>The plot thickens!  The Postscript file is now 2 and 2:  Ghostscript
>and my printer at home do fine with it, two other printers make a
>propagating mistake in the middle of a TIFF file.  My printer at home
>is an Apple LaserWriter 320; the two printers at work that have trouble
>are a Hewlett-Packard MP5 and a Tektronix dye sublimation printer.

Sounds like the classical problem with binary PostScript files. Almost
noone gets these files to the printer without corrupting them. Apple
does the job fine using appletalk and ghostscript does read the file
from disk. But when you send the file to the printer using a serial
line, you have to use a communication protocol. The standard
communication protocol is not able to transmit binary data. You could
use BCP or TBCP instead.

Unfortunately most implementations of printing via TCP/IP emulate the
serial communication protocol over the TCP link, which breaks binary
printing. On HP's jetdirect card, even the buildin LPD server is not
able to correctly communicate binary data to the printeres PostScript
interpreter, althoug the LPD protocol does transmit the data
correctly. :-(

73, Mario
--

Institut fuer Robotik und Prozessinformatik der TU Braunschweig
Hamburger Strasse 267, 38114 Braunschweig, Germany

Fri, 15 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Ghostview/Ghostscript output to TIFF?

2. bug: gs6.50 chokes on Netscape 4.nn output

3. grainy grayscale with printer but not with ghostview

4. Annoying difference in output from FreeHand and EPS

5. Printer Chokes / Ghostscript

6. HELP: wmf and bmp files saved by Ghostview can not be recognized by other software

7. Help convert multi-strip TIFF to single strip TIFF

8. HP Laserjet III choking on Laser Prep (Help!)

9. Ghostview Printer Driver for Epson Stylus Color Printer?

10. color TIFF output??

11. Tiff output from PDFs through Ghostscript