Some postscript questions
Author Message
 Some postscript questions

Hello!

Just a couple of questions regarding postscript.

1. I'm writing an application which displays an overhead plan of an
area
of land. This is represented by lines/text and some simple symbols
representing trees/rivers etc. The output is meant to be simplistic. I
need
to output this to printers and plotters (black and white is all I
need).
Will producing a postscript representation of my plan be printable on
various printers/plotters? How is the resizing of the output for
different sized printers/plotters handled? Is there a better
alternative for printing vector based output?

2. Are there any resources on the net where I can learn the syntax.

3. Are there any available libraries on the net which might make the
task of
creating the postscript output more easier.

I'm new to this so any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy Shiels

Tue, 24 Feb 2004 21:50:23 GMT
 Some postscript questions

Quote:

>Hello!

>Just a couple of questions regarding postscript.

>1. I'm writing an application which displays an overhead plan of an
>area
>of land. This is represented by lines/text and some simple symbols
>representing trees/rivers etc. The output is meant to be simplistic. I
>need
>to output this to printers and plotters (black and white is all I
>need).
>Will producing a postscript representation of my plan be printable on
>various printers/plotters?

If they are PostScript printers.

Quote:
>How is the resizing of the output for
>different sized printers/plotters handled?

It is not. It's up to you to generate it at the required size. Some
PostScript does try to auto-scale to the page size - it is a
programming language after all - but this can be unreliable.

Quote:
> Is there a better
>alternative for printing vector based output?

PDF?

Quote:

>2. Are there any resources on the net where I can learn the syntax.

The 800 page PostScript Language Reference Manual on
http://www.*-*-*.com/ (recommended) a nice book from
Addison Wesley. The syntax is covered in a few pages, but the graphics
model, font handling, rendering issues and operator details fill the
rest.

Visit http://www.*-*-*.com/ ,
PSAlter, psalters, tea, and small {*filter*} animals. And stuff.

Wed, 25 Feb 2004 03:56:33 GMT
 Some postscript questions

Quote:

>2. Are there any resources on the net where I can learn the syntax.
>3. Are there any available libraries on the net which might make the
>task of
>creating the postscript output more easier.

See http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/5682/programming.html

Jim Land
     PostScript/Ghostscript Internet Resources Web Page
          http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/5682/postscript.html

Thu, 26 Feb 2004 06:35:15 GMT

1. PostScript question (help needed)

2. general postscript questions

3. Postscript questions from a novice

4. Basic PostScript Question

5. PostScript question

6. PostScript Questions...

7. postscript question - overlaying image

8. Postscript Questions for 2100m HP

9. Postscript question

10. artwork to postscript question

11. HELP NEWBIE Postscript Question