How to get a consistant output (within the code) when using the generic adobe postscript driver & different operating systems.
Author Message
 How to get a consistant output (within the code) when using the generic adobe postscript driver & different operating systems.

We are having problems with different operating systems generating different
postscript code output when using the adobe generic postscript printer
driver.
We have a processing program that expects the ps file to be in a certain
format but because this format varies between operating systems we will
either need to change the program to accommodate both formats, not the
preferred solution, or ensure the format of the code is generated in the
same way on all operating systems.

Is there a way to ensure to code of the postscript file is the same
regardless of the operating system?
Win98 / ME / 95 Generate text strings on a line by line basis with position
information for each character while NT provides the text as a single line
with position information and another line with the complete text string.
The NT format is the preferred option.

Thanks for any help on this issue
Rick Drewitt

Sun, 07 Mar 2004 06:45:14 GMT
 How to get a consistant output (within the code) when using the generic adobe postscript driver & different operating systems.

Quote:

>We are having problems with different operating systems generating different
>postscript code output when using the adobe generic postscript printer
>driver.
>We have a processing program that expects the ps file to be in a certain
>format but because this format varies between operating systems we will
>either need to change the program to accommodate both formats, not the
>preferred solution, or ensure the format of the code is generated in the
>same way on all operating systems.

>Is there a way to ensure to code of the postscript file is the same
>regardless of the operating system?
>Win98 / ME / 95 Generate text strings on a line by line basis with position
>information for each character while NT provides the text as a single line
>with position information and another line with the complete text string.
>The NT format is the preferred option.

The only way to ensure it's the same is if you write your own printer
driver.  As long as its legal PostScript and produces the same result
when printed theres no requirement for the OS driver to do it in any
particular fashion, nor should you be suprised if it changes in a new
release.

Have you checked that the application options are the same?  If you're
doing kerning on one platform but not the other that could be whats
causing the difference.

--
                                        -- Rod --

Sun, 07 Mar 2004 07:45:14 GMT

1. Getting x and y pos of a table cell

2. Looking for GENERIC CMYK driver within GS

3. Adobe generic postscript printer

4. Generic ps code to do columns?

5. How can I use EPS code from within PS code

6. Q: Generic Postscriptdriver and using Ghostscript to print?

7. Including PS files within troff output

8. Consistant Issue: Enumerating Shares

9. Adobe PS driver 4.2 - blank characters in output

10. Running Excel within IE6 / getting Solver to work properly

11. Getting at the Adobe archives