How to convert PS Level 2/EPS to Level 1
Author Message
 How to convert PS Level 2/EPS to Level 1

Greetings:

I'm a newbie to both this group and to postscript.  My question is
probably an old one, but I have checked the FAQ and a number of WWW
resources and have been unable to find a suitable answer.

I recently began using a reconditioned Apple Laserwriter II with my
MS-DOS machine.  Several of the plotting programs I am running produce
Adobe Level 2 code while my printer is only capable of handling Level
I.  When I try to print the files created in Level 2 nothing prints.
Are there any utilities available to convert Level 2 "down to" Level
1?

As always, many thanks.

Fri, 29 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 How to convert PS Level 2/EPS to Level 1

: I recently began using a reconditioned Apple Laserwriter II with my
: MS-DOS machine.  Several of the plotting programs I am running produce
: Adobe Level 2 code while my printer is only capable of handling Level
: I.  When I try to print the files created in Level 2 nothing prints.
: Are there any utilities available to convert Level 2 "down to" Level
: 1?

This is an excellent question, and while others may be aware of such
utilities, my strategy might be to find out what Level 2 operators are
being used that cause the interpreter to fail. One tool for this purpose
would be ehandler.ps, which prints out an error page -- another would be
to see if your printer itself reports error messages, including the
offending commands. Or, if you're familiar with which operators are
specific to Level 2 (see Adobe's _PostScript Language Reference Manual_,
2nd edition, 1990), just reading through the PostScript output printed to
disk might be enough to tell you.

The trick would be, if possible, in some way to define the Level 2
operators in question as equivalent Level 1 procedures. This would work,
at least, for operators such as 'selectfont', 'rectstroke', and
'rectfill', etc.

Ideally, an application would implement this type of solution itself with
contingent definitions ("use the operator if we're running in Level 2, and
define a Level 1 procedure otherwise"). I wonder if others here have run
into such problems, and what solutions they have worked out.

Not all Level 2 operators could be handled this way, so knowing which ones
are being called by your application would be a first step in deciding
whether and how the problem might be solved.

Also, it's possible that your application is using compression schemes or
the like that could be switched on and off -- in which case you'd want to
try switching them off.

Most respectfully,

Margo Schulter

Fri, 29 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 How to convert PS Level 2/EPS to Level 1

Quote:

> Greetings:

> I'm a newbie to both this group and to postscript.  My question is
> probably an old one, but I have checked the FAQ and a number of WWW
> resources and have been unable to find a suitable answer.

> I recently began using a reconditioned Apple Laserwriter II with my
> MS-DOS machine.  Several of the plotting programs I am running produce
> Adobe Level 2 code while my printer is only capable of handling Level
> I.  When I try to print the files created in Level 2 nothing prints.
> Are there any utilities available to convert Level 2 "down to" Level
> 1?

I'd recommend getting ahold of Ghostscript, which is a freeware
PostScript interpreter. It's available from
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost, for a variety of platforms including DOS
and Win95.  Ghostscript has its own set of drivers to print PostScript
files on a number of printers, including PCL (HP LaserJets and clones),
Epson dot-matrix, Canon inkjets, etc.  One of these drivers is for
PostScript, which may sound peculiar until you consider that it was
designed for precisely your situation (among others).  There are a few
downsides to this solution:

1) You'll be sending a bitmap to your printer, which may chew up more
bandwidth on
   your printer port or network and result in slower printing;
2) If you want to produce files that can be printed later simply by
sending them
   to the printer, they'll be huge;
3) I have no idea if it's possible to set this up so that you can print
"directly"
   from the application; you may need to print to a file, exit the
application,
   and run the results through Ghostscript.  I know Ghostscript can be
set up to
   intercept printer port output under both OS/2 and Win95;
4) Ghostscript can be a nuissance to configure;
5) Ghostscript chews up several megs of disk space.

It may just be an acceptable solution to your problem, though, and as
it's freeware for most purposes, it's well worth checking out.

FWIW, Ghostscript also handles converting PostScript to various other
on-disk formats, like TIFF, PDF, etc.  There are previewer front-ends to
Ghostscript on many platforms, including Win95, OS/2, and Unix, so you
can preview PostScript on-screen before sending it to a printer.

--
                                        --Rod Smith

Sat, 30 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 How to convert PS Level 2/EPS to Level 1

The simplest solution I know of is: distill and then re-emit
PostScript code. Ganz einfach.

-- O.L.

Sat, 30 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 How to convert PS Level 2/EPS to Level 1

: I'd recommend getting ahold of Ghostscript, which is a freeware
: PostScript interpreter. It's available from
: http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost, for a variety of platforms including DOS
: and Win95.  Ghostscript has its own set of drivers to print PostScript
: files on a number of printers, including PCL (HP LaserJets and clones),
: Epson dot-matrix, Canon inkjets, etc.  One of these drivers is for
: PostScript, which may sound peculiar until you consider that it was
: designed for precisely your situation (among others).

[...]

Hello, there.

This is just to say that using Ghostscript to convert a PS Level 2 file to
Level 1 compatible PostScript in the form of a sampled image is quite an
ingenuous solution.

A year ago, I faced a somewhat comparable situation when a printer's
built-in PostScript RIP hit a bug and crashed in handling an especially
complex handcoded EPS file. The solution -- until the printer's
manufacturer sent out a new PostScript SIMM, which they did quite
promptly, by the way -- was to use Image Alchemy PS, a commercial
interpreter including a version of Aladdin's RIP, to convert the
PostScript to an 8-bit (256 levels of gray) EPS image at 200 samples per
inch. This took a while to send to the printer, but produced fine output
at 1200 dpi, 106 lpi (the default screen frequency for this printer).
Sending the data in grayscale form, and letting the printer do the
halftoning itself, worked very nicely.

In my own reply to the PS Level 2 question, I focused on the possibility
of defining Level 2 operators as Level 1 procedures -- but that would work
for only some operators, and your solution should work across the board.

Most appreciatively,

Margo Schulter

Sat, 30 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 How to convert PS Level 2/EPS to Level 1

Greg Schmitz schrieb:

Quote:
> Greetings:

> I'm a newbie to both this group and to postscript.  My question is
> probably an old one, but I have checked the FAQ and a number of WWW
> resources and have been unable to find a suitable answer.

> I recently began using a reconditioned Apple Laserwriter II with my
> MS-DOS machine.  Several of the plotting programs I am running produce
> Adobe Level 2 code while my printer is only capable of handling Level
> I.  When I try to print the files created in Level 2 nothing prints.
> Are there any utilities available to convert Level 2 "down to" Level
> 1?

> As always, many thanks.

Try ghostscript (gs), available for DOS, UNIX and "WINDOWS".
program call:
gs -sDEVICE=psmono -r600 -sOutputFile= file1.ps1 file2.ps

Maximilian Lohrer

Mon, 09 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. PS Level 1 vs. PS Level 2

2. how to print PS level 3 on PS level 2 printer

3. Level 3 ps -> level 2 ps

4. ps level I and ps level II

5. Converting Level II into Level I

6. Newbie: convert level 1 to level 2 or 3

7. How to convert level 1 to level 2?

8. Convert from Level 2 to Level 1?

9. Convert Level 2 to Level 1

10. Converting Level 2->Level 1

11. Convert Level 2 to Level 1?

12. PS Level 2: How many setgray levels?