gs 3.33 seg fault (ppmraw)
Author Message
 gs 3.33 seg fault (ppmraw)

Ghostscript version: 3.33

Where you got Ghostscript: ftp.cs.wisc.edu

Hardware you are using: sun Sparc 5

Operating system you are using: SunOS 4.1.4

(If you compiled Ghostscript yourself)
C compiler you are using: gcc 2.6.3

(Use as much space as you need for the remaining items.)
Symptoms: gs generates a seg fault when I do "gs -DNODISPLAY -- foo.ps",
  where "foo.ps" is:

(ppmraw) selectdevice
  [ /HWSize [10 20]
    /OutputFile (%stderr)
  currentdevice putdeviceprops pop

% 2 2 moveto 2 4 lineto 4 4 lineto 4 2 lineto 2 2 lineto fill
showpage

Suggested fix (if any):

Other comments:

Wed, 08 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 gs 3.33 seg fault (ppmraw)

Quote:
> Symptoms: gs generates a seg fault when I do "gs -DNODISPLAY -- foo.ps",
>   where "foo.ps" is:

> (ppmraw) selectdevice
>   [ /HWSize [10 20]
>     /OutputFile (%stderr)
>   currentdevice putdeviceprops pop

> % 2 2 moveto 2 4 lineto 4 4 lineto 4 2 lineto 2 2 lineto fill
> showpage

This problem results from a bug and a misconception.

The misconception is that the /OutputFile device parameter has the same
syntax as file names passed to the file operator.  It does not.  It uses %
as a marker similar to printf, to indicate that the page number should be
substituted in the file name.  (This is documented in the "Choosing the
output device" section of use.doc.)

The bug is that the implementation does not check to make sure that % is
followed by something reasonable, i.e., an integer conversion format.  I
will fix this bug in the next release.  With the fix, the above will give a
rangecheck in putdeviceprops.

L. Peter Deutsch :: Aladdin Enterprises :: P.O. box 60264, Palo Alto, CA 94306

            "Implementation is the sincerest form of flattery."

Fri, 10 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT

1. gs 3.33 seg fault problem

2. Seg faults in gs 3.1.2

3. seg fault in GhostScript 5.0 ps2ascii/Solaris 2.4/Capture 1.01

4. GS 3.33: memory handling error (seg. violation) in writeppmfile

5. ps2epsi for gs 3.33

6. eps->eps with preview, with gs 3.33

7. Q: Canon BJC-4550 device driver for gs (2.6.1, 3.33)

8. Fax Driver Probs in GS 3.33 and 4.03

9. EPS to JPEG with gs 3.33?

10. Problem viewing Framemaker 5.1 postscript file with GS 3.33

11. X11 bug in gs 3.33 for DEC X11R5 mono displays

12. GS 3.33 won't display in color on mac