HELP:Fonts won't print on level 1 PS printer
Author Message
 HELP:Fonts won't print on level 1 PS printer

I am trying to use a DEC LN03R Scriptprinter with WFW3.11.  This is a
PS level 1 printer.  When I print a doc with any fonts other than the
ones in the printer, they do not get sent but are substituted with
ones in the printer.  The same doc will print fine on my level 2
declaser.  Is this a limitation of PS level 1 or am I missing something
to get the fonts to download?

Sat, 23 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP:Fonts won't print on level 1 PS printer

Quote:

>I am trying to use a DEC LN03R Scriptprinter with WFW3.11.  This is a
>PS level 1 printer.  When I print a doc with any fonts other than the
>ones in the printer, they do not get sent but are substituted with
>ones in the printer.  The same doc will print fine on my level 2
>declaser.  Is this a limitation of PS level 1 or am I missing something
>to get the fonts to download?

If the printer is a non-Adobe clone older than 1980, it won't
understand type 1 fonts, the only common type in use now.

Visit http://www.*-*-*.com/ ,
PSAlter, psalters, tea, and small {*filter*} animals. And stuff.

Sun, 24 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP:Fonts won't print on level 1 PS printer

:
: >I am trying to use a DEC LN03R Scriptprinter with WFW3.11.  This is a
: >PS level 1 printer.  When I print a doc with any fonts other than the
: >ones in the printer, they do not get sent but are substituted with
: >ones in the printer.  The same doc will print fine on my level 2
: >declaser.  Is this a limitation of PS level 1 or am I missing something
: >to get the fonts to download?
:
: If the printer is a non-Adobe clone older than 1980, it won't
: understand type 1 fonts, the only common type in use now.

Hi, there, and I think we're talking about non-Adobe-licensed printers up
to about 1990, when the Type 1 font format was "declassified" by Adobe
<grin>.

Just to clarify the part of the question about Level 1 and Level 2: the
ability to print Type 1 fonts is a separate issue having to do with the
fact that the Type 1 format was originally proprietary, and was meant to
print _only_ on Adobe-licensed interpreters. Other printers of the time
used the open "user-defined" Type 3 format.

A major advantage of Type 1 is hinting, or fine-tuning of font outlines
for lower resolution devices. Below around 600 dpi, such fine adjustments
can greatly improve type quality; and during the pre-1990 era a 300 dpi
resolution was standard for desktop laser printers.

Because of market factors, Adobe decided in 1989 to make its Type 1
standard open, and naturally printer manufacturers incorporated it into
their postscript-compatible machines. It happens that PostScript Level 2
was becoming the new standard around the same time; Adobe's Second Edition
of the _PostScript Language Reference Manual_, defining the Level 2
standard, came out in 1990.

Thus any PS Level 2 device, as well as any Adobe-licensed PS Level 1
device, is likely to support Type 1 fonts.

A possible solution does occur to me for users of pre-1990 "clone"
printers (assuming a firmware upgrade isn't available). I'm pretty sure
that there is software out there than can convert a Type 1 font to Type 3
(user-defined), which any PostScript interpreter should be able to handle.

I say this because I remember that sometime around 1993, a helpful person
converted a freeware Type 1 font to Type 3 so that I could use it with an
interpreter which had limited support for the Type 1 format. Maybe other
people could name specific programs that do this for various platforms.

Most respectfully,
Margo Schulter

(To reply, please remove the extra . from my default address)

Tue, 26 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. how to print PS level 3 on PS level 2 printer

2. PDFs won't print on PS printers attached to server

3. .ps file won't print - help!

4. Help: printer (brother HL-1020) doesn't print PS

5. Printer won't print valid PostScript

6. A Win95 PS printer driver that won't break ps2ai

7. Print PDF on a PS Level 3 printer ?

8. print PS 3.0 on level 1 printer

9. Printing JPEG-EPS images on PS level 2 printer

10. Need help with PS code to embed font or download font(s) to printer

11. PS won't print on small paper size

12. needed: ps file that won't actually print