Brother printer
Author Message
 Brother printer

I try to print with a Type 1 font on a brother printer but it don't
work, with other marks of printers nothing to say but on brothers one
it's imposible. Someone know this problem and explain me how to do?

thank you very much.
--
Patrick Vialle

Fri, 14 Nov 2003 15:49:57 GMT
 Brother printer

Quote:

>I try to print with a Type 1 font on a brother printer but it don't
>work, with other marks of printers nothing to say but on brothers one
>it's imposible. Someone know this problem and explain me how to do?

What specific printer?  How old is it?
And what exactly happens when you print - what errors?

Visit http://www.*-*-*.com/ ,
PSAlter, psalters, tea, and small {*filter*} animals. And stuff.

Fri, 14 Nov 2003 16:37:56 GMT
 Brother printer
It's a HL-2400C printer (1 year 1/2) , it's the same thing with a 2060
(1 year)the printern send this message: ignore data.

friends try on lexmark and HP printer and it works very well, I can send
you my file if you want to try it.

Aandi Inston a crit :

Quote:

> >I try to print with a Type 1 font on a brother printer but it don't
> >work, with other marks of printers nothing to say but on brothers one
> >it's imposible. Someone know this problem and explain me how to do?

> What specific printer?  How old is it?
> And what exactly happens when you print - what errors?

> Visit http://www.*-*-*.com/ ,
> PSAlter, psalters, tea, and small {*filter*} animals. And stuff.

--
Patrick Vialle

Fri, 14 Nov 2003 16:44:59 GMT
 Brother printer

Quote:

>It's a HL-2400C printer (1 year 1/2) , it's the same thing with a 2060
>(1 year)the printern send this message: ignore data.

Are you generating the postscript yourself?
If so, are you converting the font to pure ASCII?

Visit http://www.*-*-*.com/ ,
PSAlter, psalters, tea, and small {*filter*} animals. And stuff.

Fri, 14 Nov 2003 17:02:59 GMT
 Brother printer
I use ttf2pt1 to generate de pfa file from a ttf font, I include this
file in the ps file, it works in every case i tried except on brothers
printer.

Aandi Inston a crit :

Quote:

> >It's a HL-2400C printer (1 year 1/2) , it's the same thing with a 2060
> >(1 year)the printern send this message: ignore data.

> Are you generating the PostScript yourself?
> If so, are you converting the font to pure ASCII?

> Visit http://www.*-*-*.com/ ,
> PSAlter, psalters, tea, and small {*filter*} animals. And stuff.

--
Patrick Vialle

Fri, 14 Nov 2003 17:08:23 GMT
 Brother printer

Quote:

>I use ttf2pt1 to generate de pfa file from a ttf font, I include this
>file in the ps file, it works in every case i tried except on brothers
>printer.

Since that is ASCII, and the printer is modern (early PostScript
clones did not understand type 1 fonts as the format was secret), I've
run out of ideas, sorry.

Visit http://www.*-*-*.com/ ,
PSAlter, psalters, tea, and small {*filter*} animals. And stuff.

Fri, 14 Nov 2003 17:22:24 GMT
 Brother printer
perhaps using a pfb file will work better but i don't know how to use
it.

Aandi Inston a crit :

Quote:

> >I use ttf2pt1 to generate de pfa file from a ttf font, I include this
> >file in the ps file, it works in every case i tried except on brothers
> >printer.

> Since that is ASCII, and the printer is modern (early PostScript
> clones did not understand type 1 fonts as the format was secret), I've
> run out of ideas, sorry.

> Visit http://www.*-*-*.com/ ,
> PSAlter, psalters, tea, and small {*filter*} animals. And stuff.

--
Patrick Vialle

Fri, 14 Nov 2003 17:36:06 GMT
 Brother printer

Quote:

> > I use ttf2pt1 to generate de pfa file from
> > a ttf font, I include this file in the ps file,
> > it works in every case i tried except on
> > brothers printer.

> Since that is ASCII, and the printer is modern
> (early PostScript clones did not understand
> type 1 fonts as the format was secret), I've
> run out of ideas, sorry.

Unlikely possibility (but at this point, anything may go...) :
Can it be that the PS does not start with "%!" ? Then the Brother
printer would not be able to make sense of the data received ?
Fran?ois Robert
(to mail me, reverse character order in reply address)

Fri, 14 Nov 2003 17:32:44 GMT
 Brother printer
the file start by %! and end by %%EOF

What other mean to use font? there is a mean to do it because with a
programme under windows: i can generate a ps file from a microsoft word
file, the problem is that this ps file is realy to hard to understand
for me and I can't use it, all I know is that it use Type 3 font.

--
Patrick Vialle

Fri, 14 Nov 2003 18:06:32 GMT
 Brother printer

Quote:
> the file start by %! and end by %%EOF

Just "%!" or there is more than that ?

Quote:
> What other mean to use font? there is a
> mean to do it because with a programme
> under windows: i can generate a ps file
> from a microsoft word file, the problem
> is that this ps file is realy to hard to
> understand for me and I can't use it, all I
> know is that it use Type 3 font.

You could download the font to the printer (outside a print job, that
is,  as an "unencapsulated job"). Usually, the font will remain
accessible until the printer is power cycled. There are some ways to
do that in PS, or alternatively, the Control Panel for your printer
may give you a more user-friendly way of doing this, something like a
"Download font" button.
Fran?ois Robert
(to mail me, reverse character order in reply address)

Fri, 14 Nov 2003 18:16:05 GMT
 Brother printer

Quote:
> perhaps using a pfb file will work better but
> i don't know how to use it...

No. PFB are not proper PostScript, so the PFA is the way to go.
(Theoretically, you *can* use raw PFB, but this requires writing an ad
hoc file decode filter. The PFA approach is far simpler, and safer...)
By the way, how do you "include" your fonts ? Do you just prepend them
to the file, or are they really included inside ?
Fran?ois Robert
(to mail me, reverse character order in reply address)

Fri, 14 Nov 2003 18:09:54 GMT
 Brother printer
First there was :

%!PS-AdobeFont-1.0: ComicSansMS Copyright [c] 1995 Microsoft
Corporation. All rights reserved.

and after I try with %! only. it is the same thing.
--
Patrick Vialle

Fri, 14 Nov 2003 20:13:53 GMT
 Brother printer
I am under Linux and I need postscript because I develop a postscript
printer driver for the brother printer. so I don't know how to send the
font, if i know that it will be easier but not and I'm know postscipt
only since 2 mounth and before I used ps2pdf to see the results and by
using that I don't need tu send font si when I try with the printer I
saw the font problem.
--
Patrick Vialle

Fri, 14 Nov 2003 20:18:00 GMT
 Brother printer

Quote:
> First there was :

> %!PS-AdobeFont-1.0: ComicSansMS Copyright
> [c] 1995 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

> and after I try with %! only. it is the same thing.

Ok, so if I understand well, the PFA file is prepended to the original
PS file. This results in the  first line of the *combined* file (font
+ PS, which is the stuff that gets sent to the printer) to be :
%!PS-AdobeFont-1.0: ComicSansMS Copyright  ... etc
Correct ?

Another (remote...) possibility is that the Brother printer looks at
the "%!PS" as the identifier for a PS file, instead of merely "%!".
Try it. If this does not work, then the reason is probably not the
syntax of the first line.

Also, try to narrow the failure conditions : Does the problem happen
only with this particular font ? Or with others as well ? Or only with
T1 converted from TTF ? Or with *any* T1 ? etc...
Fran?ois Robert
(to mail me, reverse character order in reply address)

Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:17:59 GMT
 Brother printer

Quote:

> Ok, so if I understand well, the PFA file is prepended to the original
> PS file. This results in the  first line of the *combined* file (font
> + PS, which is the stuff that gets sent to the printer) to be :
> %!PS-AdobeFont-1.0: ComicSansMS Copyright  ... etc
> Correct ?

        yes
Quote:

> Another (remote...) possibility is that the Brother printer looks at
> the "%!PS" as the identifier for a PS file, instead of merely "%!".
> Try it. If this does not work, then the reason is probably not the
> syntax of the first line.

        it gives the same result

Quote:
> Also, try to narrow the failure conditions : Does the problem happen
> only with this particular font ? Or with others as well ? Or only with
> T1 converted from TTF ? Or with *any* T1 ? etc...

        Ok, i'll search other font and I wrote the rsultat.

> Fran?ois Robert
> (to mail me, reverse character order in reply address)

--
Patrick Vialle

Fri, 14 Nov 2003 22:04:57 GMT

 [ 25 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Support for Brother HL-1060 printer

2. Ghostscript driver for Brother HL-1240 printer

3. Q: Postscript compatibility with Brother laser printers

4. Help: printer (brother HL-1020) doesn't print PS

5. gs and Brother HJ400 printer

6. DVIPS to HL-8PS Brother laser printer

7. Brother HL1440 and Ghostscript.

8. GhostView and Brother HL-1250

9. [Fwd: Getting 600 dpi with Brother laser]

10. Ghostscript driver for Brother HL-720?

11. Q:Quality of Brother Postscript Emulation

12. BROTHER HL-1020