Linux, Ghostscript and PDFs
Author Message
 Linux, Ghostscript and PDFs

Hi!
I am new to this list, so I apologize if this has been asked recently,
but I couldn't find any reference to it in the archives...
I am looking for a way to concactenate PDF files.  I am working on a
Linux box and was hoping ghostscript could accomplish this task
somehow.  Unfortunately, I am new to fairly new to
ghostscript/postscript and so am trying to figure out if this is
possible and if so, how. Could anyone help me out with this?

Thanks!
Mike

--
Mike Edwards, MIS
Edwards Graphic Arts, Inc.

Tue, 15 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Linux, Ghostscript and PDFs

Quote:

> a way to concactenate PDF files.

Here's a tip I read on this list a few weeks a go:

Quote:
> create PDF-files using ghostscript and
> then concatenate the PDF-files using the small program pdcat which you can
> download as an evaluation version from www.glance.ch

Works for me. It's not a perfect merge, in Acrobat you see a left hand
vertical window with the merged documents listed. You can select individual
pages from each document.

----------------------
Bruce LaZerte
Muskoka,Ontario,Canada
freshwat at muskoka dot com

Wed, 16 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Linux, Ghostscript and PDFs

Quote:

> > then concatenate the PDF-files using the small program pdcat which you can
> > download as an evaluation version from www.glance.ch

Sorry, forgot to mention that this program is Win9x, not Linux.

----------------------
Bruce LaZerte
Muskoka,Ontario,Canada
freshwat at muskoka dot com

Thu, 17 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Linux, Ghostscript and PDFs
Well, I see they make a version for Unix, but it isn't available for
free eval.  (And are those prices in US$, DM or Swiss Francs?!)

One thing I found was that I could use pdf2ps (comes as part of
ghostscript toolset) to create PS files--but these end up cropped.
Probably something to do with the bounding box or some such...  I'll
have to keep digging.

Thanks for the tip, tho!

Mike

Quote:

--
Mike Edwards, MIS
Edwards Graphic Arts, Inc.

Fri, 18 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Linux, Ghostscript and PDFs

Quote:

>Hi!
>I am new to this list, so I apologize if this has been asked recently,
>but I couldn't find any reference to it in the archives...
>I am looking for a way to concactenate PDF files.  I am working on a
>Linux box and was hoping ghostscript could accomplish this task
>somehow.  Unfortunately, I am new to fairly new to
>ghostscript/postscript and so am trying to figure out if this is
>possible and if so, how. Could anyone help me out with this?

>Thanks!
>Mike

>--
>Mike Edwards, MIS
>Edwards Graphic Arts, Inc.
>2700 Bell Avenue
>Des Moines, IA  50321

Brest, le lundi 1er mai

I'm not sure it can help you, but there is a tool called 'psmerge'
(a part of the 'pstools'), which purpose is to merge several ps files into one.
I never tried it, but maybe it can do what you want (if you convert the PDF to
postscript first).

--
   .~.   Thomas Baruchel

  // \\    Brest
 /(   )\   FRANCE
  ^`~'^

Fri, 18 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Linux, Ghostscript and PDFs
Thomas,

Thank you for the tip!  I am still playing with it, but so far I am not
having any luck.  As the man page says, it is for very specific cases.
I'm not sure exactly what that means, but it does not work on PS files
created from PDF using pdf2ps...

Cheers!
Mike

Quote:

--
Mike Edwards, MIS
Edwards Graphic Arts, Inc.

Fri, 18 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Linux, Ghostscript and PDFs
OK, the PS files are fine--gv just defaulted to the BBox view when I
opened them up...

:)

Quote:

--
Mike Edwards, MIS
Edwards Graphic Arts, Inc.

Fri, 18 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Linux, Ghostscript and PDFs

Quote:

> OK, the PS files are fine--gv just defaulted to the BBox view when I
> opened them up...

There was a thread just a week or 2 or 3 ago here called Concatenating PS
files. There were several suggestions involving Acrobat's products, and one
that just used simple file concatenation when the files are PS. Maybe
..????

----------------------
Bruce LaZerte
Muskoka,Ontario,Canada
freshwat at muskoka dot com

Sat, 19 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Linux, Ghostscript and PDFs
I think it should work something like:

gs -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=test.pdf -dNOPAUSE No1.pdf No2.pdf

and so on.

Mon, 21 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Linux, Ghostscript and PDFs

Quote:
>I am looking for a way to concactenate PDF files.  I am working on a

If the pdf files all only have one page, you can use pdfLaTeX on a
small{*filter*}file which includes all the files.

Best regards
        Martin

--

It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the
masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth

Tue, 22 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. How to merge PDFs using ghostscript...

2. Tiff output from PDFs through Ghostscript

3. Can Ghostscript make PDFs with the Copyright Symbol?

4. Encrypte pdfs with GhostScript?

5. Ghostscript w/o X windows on linux

6. Ghostscript Windows and Linux

7. Linux GhostScript Troubles

8. Solved: Missing fonts, ghostscript and Linux

9. Ghostscript and ms font encodings (Linux/X)

10. ghostscript on dual processors in linux smp kernel

11. Configuring ghostscript margins on Linux.

12. AutoCAD 2002 PS and Linux Ghostscript