forwarded (for David Young) Re: your mail
Author Message
 forwarded (for David Young) Re: your mail

Subject: Re: your mail

Quote:
> I need to read in a lot of data which I have stored in text files, I have
> read teach files, but this does not seem to discuss file manipulation of
> this kind. The data also needs to be sorted within the pop-11 programme as
> not all of it is relevant.

For detailed help you'll need to be more specific about what the problem
is. In general Pop-11 is excellent for manipulating text files, but
there are many different ways of doing it, and what is best depends on
what you need to do. I can't think of any good teach files - you'll need
to look at the help and ref files.

However, as a good starting point, I find the procedure LINE_REPEATER
(see REF * SYSIO) very useful for many applications. That reads a text
file a line at a time. If, however, you want to read it as individual
characters then you need DISCIN and if you want to read it as a sequence
of words, numbers, symbols etc. then you may find INCHARITEM useful.

After doing whatever processing you need, the easiest way to write the
results is to use a procedure a bit like this:

       define writeresults(data, filename);
           dlocal cucharout = discout(filename);
           < Use pr, pr_field, printf etc. to write the data in
             whatever format you want >
           cucharout(termin);
       enddefine;

David Young

Sat, 13 Aug 2005 02:59:16 GMT

1. Forwarded from David Young: Re: Silly Pop-11 Programming Challenge 2003

2. 07 looking for DAVID LOCKE DAVID LOCKE DAVID LOCKE DAVID LOCKE

3. 01 looking for DAVID LOCKE DAVID LOCKE DAVID LOCKE DAVID LOCKE

4. New version of David Young's popvision library

5. Forwarded message from patterns mailing list...

6. Forwarded mail for Nathan Bohlman

7. Forwarded Mail

8. forwarded mail

9. forwarded mail