linux , non-X, ved ?
Author Message
 linux , non-X, ved ?

ved is quiet usable under linux X-window, but:
   *  where is linux's  keyboard mapping facility ?
   *  is it sensible to re-map eg. the cursor 4 directions to the arrows ?
   *  which key serves as BS=back-space on a standard pc ?
           That's for the facility of scrolling in the OTHER half screen.

Since X has disadvantages, with no apparent benefits for ved usage,
can ved run non-X mode on a standard pc under linux ?

It seems that ved would be satisfied with VT100 simulation ?

Obviously all these questions have been investiagated and solved
by other linux-polog users.

Thanks,
   Chris Glur

PS. I still didn't solve the problem of the env-vars not being 'seen'
from the shell (command line), so I have the script which sets the
env-vars, also call pop11 or ved or ....
Apparently the env-vars are not exported to GLOBAL scope ?

Sat, 02 Aug 2003 04:39:48 GMT
 linux , non-X, ved ?
(My correct e-mail address is:

telus.net
)

Quote:
> Since X has disadvantages, with no apparent benefits for ved usage,
> can ved run non-X mode on a standard pc under linux ?
> It seems that ved would be satisfied with VT100 simulation ?

I used to use ved with a dumb terminal in 1990-1991 as hundreds of people did in
those days. I'm sure it still works. As long as you have a unix command line
prompt you should be able to get ved going. (Just type ved, if it's in your
path.) Is your question: how to use a different windowing system apart from
X-windows under linux? I've only used X under Linux myself.

I assume that ved wouldn't try to apply any xformatting if you're running it
outside of X-windows, but if it did, you could use ved_strip (ENTER strip) to
get rid of it. I have this in my vedinit.p:

Quote:
>    *  where is linux's  keyboard mapping facility ?
>    *  is it sensible to re-map eg. the cursor 4 directions to the arrows ?

Yes.

If you type ENTER dk, and then type the key that you want to map, e.g., UP
ARROW, then ved will create and display the source code for a procedure which
you can put in your vedinit.p file. It will prompt you for the characters or
keys that you want to map, and then it will prompt you for an action, which by
default is typing a string, but it can also be a procedure name.
See HELP * VED_DK.

For example, using ved_dk I've found that on my keyboard the UP ARROW button
maps to '\^[[A'. Knowing that I want to map that to the procedure vedcharup
(conveniently listed in help * ved_keys), I used that as the second argument to
the vedsetkey function in the following

 define :ved_runtime_action;
     vedsetkey('\^[[A', vedcharup);
 enddefine;

And that indeed causes the UP ARROW key to work properly on this standard
Microsoft Keyboard under Linux (via X-Windows).

In vedinit.p you can put a bunch of calls to vedsetkey.

There's also a convenient ved command that shows you what procedure is mapped to
a key: type ESC k, then type the key.

I haven't customized my keyboard mappings yet since returning to pop, but I
should do that soon.

Gotta run,

Luc

Sat, 02 Aug 2003 13:53:26 GMT
 linux , non-X, ved ?

Quote:
> > Since X has disadvantages, with no apparent benefits for ved usage,
> > can ved run non-X mode on a standard pc under linux ?

> I used to use ved with a dumb terminal in 1990-1991 as hundreds of
> people did in those days. I'm sure it still works.
> As long as you have a unix command line prompt you should be able
> to get ved going. (Just type ved, if it's in your path.) Is your question:
> how to use a different windowing system apart from
> X-windows under linux? I've only used X under Linux myself.

No; my problem is that ved is unusable outside X-windows.
It acts as if the virtual terminal width was too little; eg. causing 1 char
line-wrap ....

Quote:
> I assume that ved wouldn't try to apply any xformatting if you're running it
> outside of X-windows, but if it did, you could use ved_strip (ENTER strip) to
> get rid of it. I have this in my vedinit.p:

I havn't got vedinit.p.
A 'similarly' named file refers to vedinit.p, in a comment.
I'm guessing that X-windows handles the formatting/line-width problem
automatically.

Quote:

> >    *  where is linux's  keyboard mapping facility ?
> >    *  is it sensible to re-map eg. the cursor 4 directions to the arrows ?

> Yes.

OK. I see there's masses of stuff about keyboard mapping. And apparently
something about mouse-ing ?

 Instead of these tedious acrobatics:----

repeat      ;;; position cursor to top
    ^p
until cursorAtTopProc;

<esc> m;    ;;; mark top

repeat      ;;; position cursor to bottom
    ^n
until cursorAtBottomProc;

<esc> <shift> M;    ;;; mark bottom

^d        ;;; compile/load

I'd like to:------

point to TopProc;

RightMouse;

WipeDownTo BottomProc;

MidMouse;  ---------------
To 'compile/load a proc' -  similar to oberon operating system.

Since the keys are appaently very programmable, has any one
mapped key sequences to mouse sequences ?

Thanks,
   Chris Glur.

Sun, 03 Aug 2003 23:36:17 GMT

1. Running Ved from Ved

2. VisualWorks Non-Commercial for Linux i386 available

3. GemStone Non-Commercial for Linux

4. (Linux ELF) dynamic libf2c.so and non-Fortran main programs

5. Non-xbm icons for tcl/tk applications on unix/linux

6. Non-deterministic or non-portable

7. Syntactic errors when compiling from a ved buffer

8. making the world safe for ved

9. ved and rxvt (Boring)

10. DRAFT Ved utility for editing files whose names have spaces

11. ved key-mapping to conventional use.

12. ved key-mapping ?