news-relayFrom: jlc@uk.co.bmtech (jlc (Jonathan Cunningham))
Author Message
 news-relayFrom: jlc@uk.co.bmtech (jlc (Jonathan Cunningham))

Some people send e-mail with very long lines (eg if they are using a
mailtool which word-wraps automatically without inserting line breaks).

Some of us read mail using terminal emulators, and this is inconvenient.
(I have a PC on my desk, and I log into a Sun for reading e-mail.)

It is a bad idea anyway, since there are still mailers and mail
connections which truncate very long lines (eg Internet between
different commercial mail systems this can happen - I found this out
trying to send an rtf file). If this does happen, you can lose the last
few sentences of long paragraphs.

I just had to reformat a long text message I received, in which long
pieces of text were interspersed with bullet points lists etc., so that
I couldn't just <Enter> j the whole file. I wrote the following short
utility to help. It could also be useful for checking outgoing messages,
particularly if you have multiply nested "quoted" inserts with lots of
extra indentation (be nice to your readers!).

Even if it is of no use, you could always send me abusive mail about my
programming style! :-). (Any abuse will be ignored.)

--jlc