VED in VT100 mode
Author Message
 VED in VT100 mode

Quote:
> If you are running VT100 emulators under X, why not ditch them and
> use xterm windows instead. If you are using a PC you should be able
> to use X, and then students can use graphics also. (I have X menu
> panels that make it much easier for people to start off on VED even
> without Xved).

> Even Macs can run X.... Maybe the problem is the cost of the X
> software?

> Aaron

I've just tried this. The PCs I have to use run eXceed. On an xterm
window under this, the keypad Enter key gets mapped to Return, which is
rather serious when running ved! I'll try to find out whether there's
an eXceed config setting that controls this - anyone know?

I also tried Xved as an alternative. Is there a way to make it the
default ved mode? One of the demos I want to give is MSDEMO (the
mini-shrdlu program, with blocks and a robot hand drawn in a ved window),
and I wonder whether I can make it give its display in Xved mode
rather than ved.

(These problems are being caused because our computing service has
gone over to using PCs running eXceed and eXceed's telnet, as its
student-accessible terminals. Quite apart from the scrolling problems
I mentioned earlier in this newsgroup, I'm finding that neither
the telnet, nor - as mentioned above - xterm windows spawned from
eXceed, preserve all the VT100 mappings that we've been
accustomed to using.)

Jocelyn

Sat, 27 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 VED in VT100 mode

Quote:

> Date: 10 Jun 1997 15:42:28 GMT
[AS]
> > If you are running VT100 emulators under X, why not ditch them and
> > Even Macs can run X....

[JP]
> I've just tried this. The PCs I have to use run eXceed. On an xterm
> window under this, the keypad Enter key gets mapped to Return, which is
> rather serious when running ved!

There should be a way to configure this, as I have seen ved used
with eXceed on PCs with no problem (apart from low resolution
screens) but I can't help.

However, CTRL G nowadays defaults to ENTER anyway, so you can always
use that.

Quote:
> I also tried Xved as an alternative. Is there a way to make it the
> default ved mode?

If students have in their vedinit.p

    "x" -> vedusewindows;

Then Ved will always start up as Xved

Also if you type

    xved

it is possible that there is a saved image that will then run,
depending on your local configuration.

Also if you type

    pop11 %x

or

    prolog %x

it will start up with Xved as the editor.

(For full{*filter*}details see REF SYSTEM)

Quote:
> One of the demos I want to give is MSDEMO (the
> mini-shrdlu program, with blocks and a robot hand drawn in a ved window),
> and I wonder whether I can make it give its display in Xved mode
> rather than ved.

It should work. If you want to use the new graphical version which
uses a graphical window with coloured blocks, etc. and
shows the parse trees in a graphical window, you can fetch the stuff
in
    ftp://ftp.cs.bham.ac.uk/pub/dist/poplog/rctar.gz

If you untar this into $poplocal/local/

You can then run the shell script $poplocal/local/rclib/mkgblocks
to create a saved image in $poplocalbin/gblocks.psv

(If it's unix, not VMS. For VMS you will have to translate the
script and I don't know how much will work).

You can then run the saved image as

    pop11 +gblocks

If you want to rebuild your pop11 and prolog saved images to include
rc_graphic precompiled I can send you a suitable script (assuming
you are running on a unix system).

Aaron
--
Aaron Sloman, ( http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~axs )

Phone: +44-121-414-4775 (Sec 3711)       Fax:   +44-121-414-4281

Sat, 27 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 VED in VT100 mode

: I've just tried this. The PCs I have to use run eXceed. On an xterm
: window under this, the keypad Enter key gets mapped to Return, which is
: rather serious when running ved! I'll try to find out whether there's
: an eXceed config setting that controls this - anyone know?

Sounds like a problem I had trying to get ved to work with my dial-up software
(Telix for Windows). Changing the keymaps from vt100 to vt220 solved it for
me, but I'm not sure how you'd do it with an xterm.

R.

Sun, 28 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. VED in VT100 mode

2. ved and modes

3. modes, ved, emacs, UI

4. Running Ved from Ved

5. Modes for ved

6. VT100 emulator

7. TERMINAL VT100 IN CLIPPER

8. VT100 LabVIEW VI's

9. Looking for VT100 emulator in Z80 source

10. vt100 programming problem

11. VT100 specs

12. REQ: 80x86 VT100 terminal emulation assembly code!!!