Contest Registration (was: Re: ICFP Programming Contest (ii))
Author Message
 Contest Registration (was: Re: ICFP Programming Contest (ii))

Quote:
> Date: 25 Jun 2003 09:37:35 +0200

> Planning to join the ICFP Programming Contest this week-end? Register your
> email address NOW, to receive announcements from the organizing team,
> including the problem as soon as it is released!

> Just visit icfpcontest.org and click on "Contest Mailing List".

I have registered and I expect Steve Leach has. Has anyone else?

I have had a look at the competition web site, and found a presentation
on last year's competition. The task (defined on slide 12) was

To write a program that controls a robot to find and deliver packages in
a world with competing robots. Features of the robot world:
    o Square tiles with walls, water, and bases.
    o Initially, packages can be found on the bases.
    o Each package has a given weight and destination.
    o The robot has a  fixed carrying capacity.
    o When delivering a package, you get points equal to its weight.

  What about the water?
      o You drown if you step on water.
      o You can push other robots.
      o Robots cannot be pushed through walls.
  Pushing and bidding
      o Bidding is used to express urgency of move:
        highest bid moves first.
      o A  finite amount of bidding money is initially
        assigned each robot.

  etc.

I suspect that the SimAgent toolkit
    http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~axs/cogaff/simagent.html
would have made this much easier than most (any?) of the languages
actually used in the competition, i.e.

    Java 18%
    C 17%
    C++ 14%
    OCaml 14%
    python 11%
    Perl 8 %
    Haskell 6%
    Scheme 5%

Plus these for which percentages are not given (listed on slide 22):
    Lisp, Ruby, Mercury, Erlang, Dylan, Smalltalk,
    SML, Prolog, Pascal, Icon, Forth, Ada.

A Python team won the 'lightning' division, i.e. submissions within 24
hours, with runners up using Haskell and C (a long way behind).

However, the two finalists in the main competition used C and Objective
CAML. After a 'playoff' the OCaml team from Tokyo won.

Aaron
====
Aaron Sloman, ( http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~axs/ )

PAPERS: http://www.*-*-*.com/ (And free book on Philosophy of AI)
FREE TOOLS: http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sun, 11 Dec 2005 18:23:10 GMT

1. ICFP Programming Contest (ii)

2. ICFP Programming Contest (ii)

3. ICFP Programming Contest (ii)

4. ICFP Programming Contest (ii)

5. ICFP Programming Contest (ii)

6. ICFP Programming Contest (i)

7. ICFP Programming Contest (i)

8. ICFP Programming Contest (i)

9. Reminder -- ICFP functional programming contest starts Thursday!

10. ICFP Functional Programming Contest

11. ICFP functional programming contest -- deadline correction

12. Announce: ICFP programming contest