alphapop
Author Message
 alphapop

hi,
is there anyone who has experience with pop11 for
the mac, namely alphapop ?

i'd be especially interested in people who use both
the real pop11 and alphapop.
how easyly can the programms be transferred from
one system to the other ?

greetings
-moni

Sun, 17 Sep 1995 20:44:31 GMT
 alphapop

Quote:
> i'd be especially interested in people who use both
> the real pop11 and alphapop.
> how easyly can the programms be transferred from
> one system to the other ?

AlphaPOP is a great implementation for experimentation.  However, its
performance is poor (compared with Poplog) and the dialect of Pop-11
is restricted.  The most severe restriction is the absence of lexical
binding.

I am happy to recommend it for knockabout programming.  It is easy to
move programs from AlphaPOP to POPLOG.  It is easy to restrict your POPLOG
programming to ensure both systems can share.  Porting programs from
POPLOG to AlphaPOP can be straightforward or difficult -- it simply
depends on the features that are used.  My own programming style in
POPLOG/POP-11 means that porting is intracable.  So if I want to move
from one to the other I plan ahead of time.

A typical use that I make of AlphaPOP is to prototype C functions.  Sometimes
I do simple statistics with it.  I have written programs for predicting the
frequency of bridge distributions under conditional restrictions.  I also
use it to prepare text tables for inclusion with Microsoft Word.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Mon, 18 Sep 1995 01:43:43 GMT

1. Alphapop