ved and modes
Author Message
 ved and modes

I asked for help on how I might indicate edit modes in ved (may be of
interest to people using ved who would prefer to customise it to
have (lots of?) different modes - there was some recent discussion of
this).

Quote:
> BUT post 14.2, this all changed, -vedstatusheader- is now ignored. See
> ref vedscreenstatusinputmark for info (but I don't think it will do what
> you want, cos it only happens in immediate mode buffers).

> Roger

Thanks for your reply. It confirms what I was beginning to suspect. I've
tried various other of the documented ved variables and procedures too,
but without success.

The following half works, but feels very unsafe:

    vedwindowpoint(1,2), vedscr_char_out(`A`), vedsetcursor();

It only half works, because lower case letters seem not to work.

Anyway, the above code put into a procedure assigned to -vedprocesstrap-
enables me to switch modes (normal ved, normal vi, and vi in insert mode)
and also to keep visible some indication of which mode I am in).

On the basis that "If the developers use a feature, it would probably
be useful to the users, too" I think that there should be more hooks
for users to control what appears on the status line. I hope they
are listening :-).

--jlc

Sat, 09 Mar 1996 02:55:22 GMT

1. VED in VT100 mode

2. VED in VT100 mode

3. modes, ved, emacs, UI

4. Running Ved from Ved

5. Modes for ved

6. Syntactic errors when compiling from a ved buffer

7. making the world safe for ved

8. ved and rxvt (Boring)

9. DRAFT Ved utility for editing files whose names have spaces

10. ved key-mapping to conventional use.

11. linux , non-X, ved ?

12. ved key-mapping ?