comp.lang.pop -> pop-forum gateway
Author Message
 comp.lang.pop -> pop-forum gateway

Because of all the abuse of the internet by bulk email advertisers
the gateway which transmits messages from the comp.lang.pop
newsgroup to the pop-forum email list is now a real nuisance.

I wonder whether it would therefore be a good idea to make it a
one way gateway. I.e. messages to pop-forum would automatically
go to comp.lang.pop, but not the other way. Then anyone posting
a query direct to pop-forum who wanted to get a reply should
add a note asking for the reply to be emailed direct to the sender,
as you will not get copies of replies posted to the news group.

People on the list would also need, occasionally, to look at the news
group to see if they are missing anything.

Comments? Alternative suggestions?

Are there still any people who read the email version?

Aaron
--
Aaron Sloman, ( http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~axs )
EMAIL A.Sloman at cs.bham.ac.uk(||| MAKE BULK EMAIL ADVERTS ILLEGAL |||)

Tue, 11 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 comp.lang.pop -> pop-forum gateway

I am afraid that I became 'fed up' with Newsgroups a long time ago,
so personally I'm not too keen on stopping the email pop-forum.
Others will no doubt disagree.

(I am rapidly getting fed up with email now, due to the number of
adverts and spams that I receive - about 30-40%)

Dominic Fox
Portsmouth

Quote:
> Date:          Fri, 25 Jul 97 11:23:08 BST

> Subject:       comp.lang.pop -> pop-forum gateway
> Because of all the abuse of the internet by bulk email advertisers
> the gateway which transmits messages from the comp.lang.pop
> newsgroup to the pop-forum email list is now a real nuisance.

> I wonder whether it would therefore be a good idea to make it a
> one way gateway. I.e. messages to pop-forum would automatically
> go to comp.lang.pop, but not the other way. Then anyone posting
> a query direct to pop-forum who wanted to get a reply should
> add a note asking for the reply to be emailed direct to the sender,
> as you will not get copies of replies posted to the news group.

> People on the list would also need, occasionally, to look at the news
> group to see if they are missing anything.

> Comments? Alternative suggestions?

> Are there still any people who read the email version?

> Aaron
> --
> Aaron Sloman, ( http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~axs )
> School of Computer Science, The University of Birmingham, B15 2TT, UK
> EMAIL A.Sloman at cs.bham.ac.uk(||| MAKE BULK EMAIL ADVERTS ILLEGAL |||)
> Phone: +44-121-414-4775 (Sec 3711)       Fax:   +44-121-414-4281

Fri, 14 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. comp.lang.pop and pop-forum gateway

2. comp.lang.pop (and pop-forum) FAQ available in html

3. comp.lang.pop (and pop-forum) FAQ available in html

4. pop-forum -> news gateway now fixed

5. comp.lang.forth and Comp.lang.pop

6. bogus postings relayed via comp.lang.pop

7. comp.lang.pop is not for pop3/email/modem topics

8. FAQ for comp.lang.pop