the old free linux poplog comes to life on suse linux
Author Message
 the old free linux poplog comes to life on suse linux

Some of you may be interested to know that the version of SUSE
linux version 5.2 recently distributed free with a magazine called
"pcplus" supports the old FREE version of Poplog which stopped working
on other recent versions of Linux, e.g. Redhat.

I have never used SUSE or any other kind of linux myself. I am merely
passing on what my students have told me.

For more on SUSE see
    http://www.*-*-*.com/ (German)
    http://www.*-*-*.com/ (English)

The free poplog can be obtained from Sussex University at this
address:

    ftp://ftp.cogs.susx.ac.uk/pub/poplog/poplog15.0

The heap size is restricted to a mere 200,000 words, but it can be used
for introductory teaching of AI.

There's a whole lot of teaching stuff based on pop11 at the Birmingham
poplog ftp directory, some of it replacing the teach files distributed
with Poplog, and also using a new "safer" version of the pop-11 pattern
constract, for use with lvars.

        ftp://ftp.cs.bham.ac.uk/pub/dist/poplog/

I should imagine that a lot of this will run on the free poplog.

The heap limit may not be large enough for the sim_agent toolkit
however, since it requires you to compile objectclass and poprulebase
before sim_agent, and also requires the rclib graphical library for
graphical interactions.

The non-restricted linux poplog costs money, and works on redhat linux
4.2, but not later versions. It is available at a very low price for
academics from ISL:

        Integral Solutions Limited
        Berk House
        Basing View
        Basingstoke
        Hants RG21 4RG, UK

    Tel. +44 (0)1256 355899
    Fax. +44 (0)1256 363467

    http://www.*-*-*.com/

If you get that all my stuff is available free and should work on it
though if you don't have motif (which also costs money) you will have
to re-link the base pop11 system,and then rebuild saved images. This is
how:

1. unprotect both $popsys and $usepop/pop/extern/lib, the latter
   so that libXpw.so can be rebuilt.

    chmod -R u+w $popsys $usepop/pop/extern/lib

2. Give this command to do the re-linking

    $popsrc/newpop -link -x=-xt -xpw

there are scripts for rebuilding saved images with useful things
precompiled included in this collection:

        ftp://ftp.cs.bham.ac.uk/pub/dist/poplog/bhamteachtar.gz

Aaron
===
Aaron Sloman, ( http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~axs/ )

Phone: +44-121-414-4775 (Sec 3711)       Fax:   +44-121-414-4281

Sat, 28 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Installing Poplog under SuSE Linux 7.3

2. Re. Installing Poplog under SuSE Linux 7.3

3. Free Linux Poplog Version 15.01

4. Announcing free Poplog for Linux

5. Announcing free Poplog for Linux

6. Announcing free Poplog for Linux

7. debugger for gnu fortran77 under Linux, free compiler f90 under Linux

8. Soliton APL and SuSE Linux again

9. Soliton APL and SuSE Linux

10. A+ how? (Linux: SuSe 8.0)

11. Installing Squeak with SuSE Linux

12. VW5i3 NC crashes frequently under SuSE Linux 7.0