query about windows poplog
Author Message
 query about windows poplog

I have had this question from Austin tate who has been playing with
windows poplog V15.5

Quote:
> Is there a command that tells you the directory poplog or pop-11 is
> set to as a base?

On unix/linux it would be
        systranslate('usepop')=>

but I expect that does not work on windows, and don't have time to try
just now.

Quote:
> or one that lists the directories in the current directory?

When I last tried ENTER dired, and ENTER ls,
in windows poplog neither worked.

Is there an alternative that does work?

If possible please copy replies to A.Tate AT ed.ac.uk

I presume this may one day be fixed by the proposal to use cygwin
to make unix/linux poplog work on windows.

Austin has kindly made available his nonlin (heirarchical non-linear)
planning package originally developed in pop2, then converted to pop-11
then I think replaced by O-plan

It was last run in pop-11 in poplog version 13.

I've produced a version of nonlin that at least compiles and seems to
run in the current pop-11 (it requires restoring some old pop2 defaults
in lieu of doing a lot of editing of source code).

If anyone wants to play with it, it can be found here:

        http://www.*-*-*.com/
        http://www.*-*-*.com/

It comes with no guarantees and still needs documentation and tutorial
material, but may be useful for someone familiar with the history of AI
planning techniques, in which nonlin (based on Austin's PhD nearly 30
years ago) had a notable role.

There's a lisp version of nonlin with a lot of documentation here:
    http://www.*-*-*.com/

Google can point you are more things to do with nonlin
and its successor o-plan.

Thanks.
Aaron

Fri, 15 Apr 2005 20:25:33 GMT
 query about windows poplog
Austin has solved part of his problem using

        cd

and

        current_directory=>

But that still leaves the problem of how to list the contents of
a directory from inside pop11/ved (as opposed to going to
mycomputer or explorer).

Aaron

Fri, 15 Apr 2005 20:56:26 GMT
 query about windows poplog
Aaron,

writes

Quote:
>I have had this question from Austin tate who has been playing with
>windows poplog V15.5

>> Is there a command that tells you the directory poplog or pop-11 is
>> set to as a base?

>On unix/linux it would be
>       systranslate('usepop')=>

>but I expect that does not work on windows, and don't have time to try
>just now.

As I mentioned by email, systranslate('usepop')=> also works in Windows.

Quote:
>> or one that lists the directories in the current directory?

>When I last tried ENTER dired, and ENTER ls,
>in windows poplog neither worked.

>Is there an alternative that does work?

I have looked at the case of Windows + Cygwin. Assuming Cygwin is
installed in C:\cygwin, then the following will work without any changes
to the ved_ls function.

'C:\\cygwin\\bin\\bash.exe' -> systranslate('SHELL');

followed by

<ENTER> ls <RETURN>

in the VED environment.

Of course, you need to check that in your installation of Cygwin, bash
is in /bin and not /usr/bin or some other place. I remember making some
specific changes to the structure of the Cygwin directories because an
earlier version managed to get them very muddled.

The assignment to SHELL can be made in Windows (using the system dialog
or SET command), or within Poplog initialisation in an init.p file.

Using the Cygwin resources, I expect that most of the VED extra commands
expecting to exec or pipe to an external command will work, as is, since
the default assumption is that the system is running in a Unix
environment.

At some point, the VED commands ought to be changed to provide explicit
support for native Windows. It might be better to avoid this wherever
possible by using a platform-neutral procedure. For example, ved_ls
could be rewritten to use sys_files_matching and sys_file_stat. It would
then work under any version (current or future) of Poplog and the
results could be made available in a pre-determined format that was not
platform dependent, suitable for use via an enumerator. However we do
this, the semantics for file specification on different platforms will
be a nuisance.

Quote:
>If possible please copy replies to A.Tate AT ed.ac.uk

I'm not sure if I can cc: a news reply, but when I've finished looking
at the native Windows case, I'll send Austin a summary of both.

Quote:
>I presume this may one day be fixed by the proposal to use cygwin
>to make unix/linux poplog work on windows.

It looks as if it is much easier to make existing code work with Cygwin
with a few configuration changes than to complete the migration of the
non-core code.

Next stop Poplog + Windows + Cygwin + X-Windows.

Regards,
--
Jeff

Sun, 17 Apr 2005 20:18:07 GMT

1. MySQL query in PHP: Not query zero amounts also removes null amounts from query

2. Queries re MicroFocus Personal COBOL for Windows 3.1/Windows 95

3. (NEW) Poplog Version 15.53 for windows/NT

4. global init.p file for windows users (Now at Free Poplog site)

5. Poplog Common Lisp on Windows NT - popmemlim

6. question about windows poplog

7. Problem with windows version of free poplog

8. Poplog running under Windows-95:A faq for a reason

9. X windows s/w for Poplog?

10. Some CHM files for Windows Poplog users

11. X-windows and Poplog