Other gsl interfacing projects
Author Message
 Other gsl interfacing projects

[To reply replace "Aaron.Sloman.XX" with "A.Sloman"]

I wrote to the gsl "authors" list saying what was being discused, and
one of them urged me to post to this list

I did that, and received the following comments

Message 1: From Dirk Eddelbuettel

Quote:
>   Aaron> It would be very nice if something comparable in power to Matlab and
>   Aaron> as easy to use for interactive development, could be available
>   Aaron> completely free of charge with full sources.

> Have you looked at either one of these:

>       GNU Octave     http://www.*-*-*.com/
>       GNU R       http://www.*-*-*.com/

> Rgds, Dirk

I had a quick look at those two web sites. They certainly seem to be
addressing the issue. I can't tell how well their coverage matches that
of gsl.

It seems that both Octave and R meet parts of the objective I had in
mind in proposing an interface between pop-11 and GSL. The main
difference is that Pop-11 is a very rich AI language, which would enable
the mathematical functionality easily to be combined with sophisticated
AI mechanisms.

Message 2 From: Brian Gough

Quote:
> There is a list of "related projects" at http://www.*-*-*.com/
> Currently python & perlDL are listed.

>  > Anyhow, if you have any comments, suggestions, warnings, or pointers to
>  > similar work linking GSL to an AI or other interactive language, please
>  > let me know, and I'll pass them on to others who are interested in
>  > contributing to this.

> I have used the SWIG wrapper generator to wrap small parts of the GSL
> to perl, python and scheme (guile) in the past.  It worked ok, but the
> binding is a mechanical translation -- one needs to define extensive
> 'typemaps' in SWIG to improve the mapping to the high-level language.

> For languages not supported by SWIG it is also possible to use the
> perl module C::Scan to parse C headers and automatically create a
> wrapper that way.  I haven't tried that.

> regards
> Brian Gough

Note: I am part way through packaging Anthony Worrall's modifications to
newc_dec and will shortly post an announcement.

Anyone who is in a hurry can look here:

    http://www.*-*-*.com/

It is all there except for an installation script and a tar ball.

Aaron
====
Aaron Sloman, ( http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~axs/ )

PAPERS: http://www.*-*-*.com/
FREE TOOLS: http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sun, 23 Nov 2003 01:09:49 GMT
 Other gsl interfacing projects

Quote:
> It seems that both Octave and R meet parts of the objective I had in
> mind in proposing an interface between pop-11 and GSL. The main
> difference is that Pop-11 is a very rich AI language, which would enable
> the mathematical functionality easily to be combined with sophisticated
> AI mechanisms.

I've used Octave a bit, mostly for matrix computations.  It's very easy
to pick up.
The syntax, which is supposed to be compatible with matlab, is pretty
similar to vanilla pop11 (no lvars, closures, other fancy stuff).  I was
unhappy to find that function calls slowed it down considerably and
ended up writing long, non-modular stretches of code when I needed it to
run fast.  Maybe I missed some trick.

It uses gnuplot for graphics and I've heard more than one matlab user
sneer at it on that account.

I have no idea what would be involved in externally linking the guts of
it into poplog.

Steve

Sun, 23 Nov 2003 18:48:07 GMT

1. GSL collaboration and (and GSL Manual contents)

2. GSL interface: another Pop-11 development task?

3. Fortran interface for GSL (alpha)

4. MIDI interface modules for Linux (and others)

5. MS Project COM interface --getting started

6. Project : 3d graphic interface in Ada...

7. possible project: Qt-Python interface

8. TK interface for an existing project

9. GSL collaboration and formal methods.

10. filenames, argument list separators + gsl extension

11. GSL collaboration

12. GSL collaboration