windows version ox ved/xved?
Author Message
 windows version ox ved/xved?

Having just installed poplog on my home pc I was wondering if there is an
editor equivalent to ved / xved for windows 95 for use with pop-11

Vincent Murray
First yr CS/AI bham

Thu, 09 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 windows version ox ved/xved?

Quote:

> Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 16:50:59 -0000

> Having just installed poplog on my home pc I was wondering if there is an
> editor equivalent to ved / xved for windows 95 for use with pop-11

There's no Xved on windows - until someone provides graphical
facilities for windows poplog.

If you start pop-11, you will get a colon prompt. From that
prompt commands like

    help vedkeys

    teach eliza

    ved myfile

etc. should all work. You'll get a "dumb terminal" version of Ved,
in which you can view at most two files at a time. See

    TEACH BUFFERS

You may have a lot of trouble getting Ved to recognize the
function keys on your keyboard. So looking at the Emacs-like
facilities described in HELP VEDKEYS could be useful, especially

        ^G  Enter a command                             ENTER
    ESC ^G  Switch to/from command line                 SWITCHSTATUS
ESC RETURN  Redo command on command line                REDOCOMMAND

Also
     ESC m  Mark start of range                         MARKLO
     ESC M  Mark end of range                           MARKHI
     ESC C  Mark the current procedure                  ENTER mcp

     ESC g  Go to start of marked range                 MARKFIND
     ESC G  Go to end of marked range                   ENDRANGE

If you make good progress, post what you have discovered to
comp.lang.pop, as others may find it useful.

Aaron
==
--
Aaron Sloman, ( http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~axs/ )
EMAIL A.Sloman AT cs.bham.ac.uk   (NB: Anti Spam address)

Thu, 09 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 windows version ox ved/xved?

Quote:
> > Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 16:50:59 -0000

> > Having just installed poplog on my home pc I was wondering if there is an
> > editor equivalent to ved / xved for windows 95 for use with pop-11

> There's no Xved on windows - until someone provides graphical
> facilities for windows poplog.

> If you start pop-11, you will get a colon prompt. From that
> prompt commands like

>     help vedkeys

>     teach eliza

>     ved myfile

> etc. should all work. You'll get a "dumb terminal" version of Ved,
> in which you can view at most two files at a time. See

>     TEACH BUFFERS

> You may have a lot of trouble getting Ved to recognize the
> function keys on your keyboard. So looking at the Emacs-like
> facilities described in HELP VEDKEYS could be useful, especially

>         ^G  Enter a command                             ENTER
>     ESC ^G  Switch to/from command line                 SWITCHSTATUS
> ESC RETURN  Redo command on command line                REDOCOMMAND

> Also
>      ESC m  Mark start of range                         MARKLO
>      ESC M  Mark end of range                           MARKHI
>      ESC C  Mark the current procedure                  ENTER mcp

>      ESC g  Go to start of marked range                 MARKFIND
>      ESC G  Go to end of marked range                   ENDRANGE

> If you make good progress, post what you have discovered to
> comp.lang.pop, as others may find it useful.

Hi Aaron,

The impression I got from this reply is that you were describing the
dos-prompt version of pop11, rather than the winpop11 system (which puts
you into ved in immediate mode). In this mode things like the enter key
do work if your keyboard has one (though if it doesn't you need to fall
back on ctrl G etc as you describe). Also winpop11 supports resizing,
cut and paste etc - its a well-behaved windows client - so its far
preferable to the dos version. Its also the version you get from the
'Start' menu if you just did standard installation.

Forgive me if I misunderstood.

Roger

Fri, 10 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 windows version ox ved/xved?

> The impression I got from this reply is that you were describing the
> dos-prompt version of pop11, rather than the winpop11 system (which puts
> you into ved in immediate mode). In this mode things like the enter key
> do work if your keyboard has one (though if it doesn't you need to fall
> back on ctrl G etc as you describe). Also winpop11 supports resizing,
> cut and paste etc - its a well-behaved windows client - so its far
> preferable to the dos version. Its also the version you get from the
> 'Start' menu if you just did standard installation.
> Roger

This might sound silly, but neither I nor anyone I've met who uses POP
on an MSc at Sussex can get winpop11 to cut and paste.  Am I starting
the program incorrectly?

                ...\winpop11.exe  +startup

Lee
Sussex

Fri, 10 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 windows version ox ved/xved?

> > The impression I got from this reply is that you were describing the
> > dos-prompt version of pop11, rather than the winpop11 system (which puts
> > you into ved in immediate mode). In this mode things like the enter key
> > do work if your keyboard has one (though if it doesn't you need to fall
> > back on ctrl G etc as you describe). Also winpop11 supports resizing,
> > cut and paste etc - its a well-behaved windows client - so its far
> > preferable to the dos version. Its also the version you get from the
> > 'Start' menu if you just did standard installation.
> > Roger

> This might sound silly, but neither I nor anyone I've met who uses POP
> on an MSc at Sussex can get winpop11 to cut and paste.  Am I starting
> the program incorrectly?

> ...\winpop11.exe  +startup

> Lee
> Sussex

> Using the standard installation of winpop11 (starting from the start menu)

I can not get the program to cut and paste either
Vincent Murray
First yr CS/AI bham

Fri, 10 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Running Ved from Ved

2. Ved keys in Windows

3. re-using a ved window

4. bad magic number in g95 on OX X

5. motif libraries, Xved & ved problems.

6. Windows Tcl/Tk: Why diffent font size from version to version

7. 814078: Security Update (Microsoft Jscript version 5.1, Windows 98 and Windows N

8. xved?

9. Free Motif (better than Lesstif) works with Poplog/Xved

10. Making output.p or selected (ESC e) file in XVed pop up

11. XVED: highlighting text

12. xved with vedemacs