Poplog under emacs?
Author Message
 Poplog under emacs?

If there a poplog.el out there that allows use of the help system and
everything else under emacs instead of ved?

For the life of me, I can't figure out how to use

<enter> g

to move through the help system.  When I type <enter> I insert a line
feed in the help file.  Any help for the brain dead?

(I just downloaded the linux version which works like a charm, but I
really don't want to use another editor.)

Sun, 03 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Poplog under emacs?
: If there a poplog.el out there that allows use of the help system and
: everything else under emacs instead of ved?

: For the life of me, I can't figure out how to use

: <enter> g

: to move through the help system.  When I type <enter> I insert a line
: feed in the help file.  Any help for the brain dead?

: (I just downloaded the linux version which works like a charm, but I
: really don't want to use another editor.)

I just found out what <enter> g means and that there is an emacs mode
for poplog in the contributed directory which, alas, is not part of
the free linux demo.

This news group seems a bit slow.  Does anyone actually use the poplog
system?  This is not an idle question as I was thinking of purchasing
a license.  I would be less inclined to do so if I was the Lone
Ranger.

Tue, 05 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Poplog under emacs?

   This news group seems a bit slow.  Does anyone actually use the poplog
   system?

Loads of them, but perhaps they're not all using News.

   This is not an idle question as I was thinking of purchasing
   a license.  I would be less inclined to do so if I was the Lone
   Ranger.

Worry not; I suspect the reason the group is slow is that there's not all
that much need for complicated questions for which there aren't suitably-
local expert answerers.

--

Regards,    | ``"I can't suit myself," said Weinbaum, a little petulantly.
Kers.       | "I work for the Government".'' - Blish, "The Quincunx of Time".

Fri, 08 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Poplog under emacs?

Quote:

> Date: 15 Nov 1995 18:58:36 GMT
> If there a poplog.el out there that allows use of the help system and
> everything else under emacs instead of ved?

I have just installed in the Birmingham Poplog ftp directory, a copy of
the emacs subdirectory of the $popcontrib directory, originally produced
by Richard Caley, which is not included with Linux Poplog. I've also
made a compressed tar file containing the directory. The ftp directory
is
        ftp://ftp.cs.bham.ac.uk/pub/dist/poplog

The emacs subdirectory is called emacs, and the tar file is emacstar.Z
See the README file in the ftp directory for more detail. Some of my
colleagues at Birmingham using Poplog via Emacs have extended the Caley
emacs conversion, and I hope later to be able to include some of their
facilities.

Unfortunately the "fancy" graphics characters in the documentation
designed for reading in VED look awful in Emacs. But you can use XVED
simply for examining documentation. Put the following command in your
file $poplib/vedinit.p

            "x" -> vedusewindows;

That will force the Pop-11 "help", "teach" and similar commands to use
XVED for reading online documentation, and will save you the bother
of telling Emacs in which directories to look and save you the bother
of fighting VED's graphics characters. The point about which directories
to look in is important, for some libraries extend VED's search lists
and your Emacs process would not know about them. Alternatively, after
compiling all the libraries you are going to use, you could print out
        vedhelplist ==>
        vedteachlist ==>
        vedreflist ==>
        popuseslist ==>

and inform emacs about all the directories listed, so that it can be
made to search in all of them to examine documentation or library code
files.

Quote:
> For the life of me, I can't figure out how to use
> <enter> g

You may not have your function keys set up to work properly with VED, or
you may not be using an xterm window. However, you can do everything
with control and ESC sequences.

The crucial information is in the file HELP VEDKEYS, i.e.
        $usepop/pop/help/vedkeys

In particular
       KEY  FUNCTION                                    VED PROCEDURE

        ^G  Enter a command                             ENTER
    ESC ^G  Switch to/from command line                 SWITCHSTATUS
ESC RETURN  Redo command on command line                REDOCOMMAND

You can also put into your $poplib/vedinit.p file the command

        uses vedemacs

That will load the library file $usepop/pop/lib/ved/vedemacs.p
whenever you start up VED. This provides the key bindings described in
HELP VEDEMACS, i.e. $usepop/pop/help/vedemacs. It's nothing like a full
emacs emulation, but it may help you get going.

Quote:
> (I just downloaded the linux version which works like a charm, but I
> really don't want to use another editor.)

I think it's going to be essential for the future of Poplog/Pop-11 to
address the fact that the vast majority of potential users will share
your reaction.

As the person once responsible for managing the development of Poplog,
when I was at Sussex, I now think, although I remain a Ved user, that I
was guilty of a major error of judgement in not ensuring that there was
far better support for Emacs users. Sorry!

Maybe the spread of Linux poplog will lead to a remedy.

Aaron

Fri, 08 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Poplog under emacs?

2. poplog and emacs

3. poplog and emacs

4. New Emacs interface for (free) Poplog users

5. New Emacs interface for Poplog users

6. Emacs and Poplog

7. New Emacs interface for (free) Poplog users

8. New Emacs interface for Poplog users

9. New Emacs interface for (free) Poplog users

10. New Emacs interface for Poplog users

11. Ruby Emacs-mode with Emacs 21.1.1

12. Poplog talk/demo in Oxford, UK