A way to run linux poplog in a windows environment?
Author Message
 A way to run linux poplog in a windows environment?

[To reply replace "Aaron.Sloman.XX" with "A.Sloman"]

I have been sent the following suggestion by Olivier Lefevre

Quote:
> Subject: Poplog port to WNT/W2K

> The easiest solution would be to compile poplog not as a
> stand-alone Windows app but within a Unix emulation
> environment like Cygwin, U/Win or Interix. Within these
> XFree86 and Motif are available and porting Unix apps
> is no harder than porting them to another Unix variant.

He tells me that in this context it should be possible to
run linux poplog as it is, i.e. as available from here:

    http://www.*-*-*.com/

I wonder if anyone has experience of any of these Unix emulations, and
could recommend the best one to try (if I can find a PC running
WinNT or W2K on which to try it - I don't normally use a PC, except
a notebook running nothing but linux).

If anyone else has tried installing and running linux poplog in
one of these unix emulations, please let me know.

Thanks.

Aaron
====
Aaron Sloman, ( http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~axs/ )

PAPERS: http://www.*-*-*.com/
FREE TOOLS: http://www.*-*-*.com/

Fri, 31 Oct 2003 01:38:10 GMT
 A way to run linux poplog in a windows environment?

Quote:
> [To reply replace "Aaron.Sloman.XX" with "A.Sloman"]

> I have been sent the following suggestion by Olivier Lefevre

> > Subject: Poplog port to WNT/W2K

> > The easiest solution would be to compile poplog not as a
> > stand-alone Windows app but within a Unix emulation
> > environment like Cygwin, U/Win or Interix. Within these
> > XFree86 and Motif are available and porting Unix apps
> > is no harder than porting them to another Unix variant.

> He tells me that in this context it should be possible to
> run linux poplog as it is, i.e. as available from here:

>     http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/research/poplog/freepoplog.html

> I wonder if anyone has experience of any of these Unix emulations, and
> could recommend the best one to try (if I can find a PC running
> WinNT or W2K on which to try it - I don't normally use a PC, except
> a notebook running nothing but linux).

I use Cygwin to support most of my development work, primarily for access to
GNU-tools (thank goodness, a decent commandline shell on NT!), but don't
have any experience of creating XApps.  Certainly, this is an interesting
suggestion -- particularly (from the point of view of distributing one of
our products) if we could get some form of installation that didn't require
the end user to install the entire Cygwin distribution... (although the GPL
may have some effect on this as well... hmm)

Quote:
> If anyone else has tried installing and running linux poplog in
> one of these unix emulations, please let me know.

Hmm.  It wouldn't be quite as simple as just installing and running linux
poplog, I fear. It would need a full rebuild.  Unfortunately I don't have
the X libraries on my machine at the moment, so I can't do a trial build.

--
Michael Worsley
SPARK Development Team (http://www.sparkada.com)

Sat, 01 Nov 2003 01:52:30 GMT
 A way to run linux poplog in a windows environment?

:> The easiest solution would be to compile poplog not as a
:> stand-alone Windows app but within a Unix emulation
:> environment like Cygwin, U/Win or Interix. Within these
:> XFree86 and Motif are available and porting Unix apps
:> is no harder than porting them to another Unix variant.

: If anyone else has tried installing and running linux poplog in
: one of these unix emulations, please let me know.

cygwin is very stable now. apps are quite hard to port, mostly because of
the win specific filesystem and bad tools to build it. (autoconf is quite
okay, but most have only hand-crafted makefiles). pipes, threads and signals
caused headaches in the past, but are okay now. you don't have that much
signals as in unix and there are still major drawbacks. it also became
very slow in the last months.
the cygwin w32api headers also had a major revamp in the last month. I
cannot see the light there yet, but that's only a minor problem.

XFree86 apps are much easier to port, just recently the system became
quite usable. it just doesn't parse the .XConfig files yet, everything
is builtin so far. gnome is on the way. gtk is not quite stable,
but usable.

I would try U/Win. I don't know Interix.

A native port with msvc would get the best API support and performance.
--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/acadwiki/AutoLispFaq

Sat, 01 Nov 2003 15:25:06 GMT

1. Running linux poplog with Lesstif (now works)

2. Running Linux Poplog without motif

3. Running the Poplog demo for Linux.

4. Running linux poplog with Lesstif (now works)

5. Running linux poplog with Lesstif (now works)

6. A way to run linux poplog in a windows environment?

7. A way to run linux poplog in a windows environment?

8. Poplog running under Windows-95:A faq for a reason

9. the old free linux poplog comes to life on suse linux

10. COMMERCIAL: BlackAdder Windows/Linux Python GUI Development Environment

11. COMMERCIAL: BlackAdder Windows/Linux Python/Qt Development Environment

12. RedHat Linux 6.0 with Samba Emulating Windows NT running 5.2e