a little list problem
Author Message
 a little list problem

This little procedure is in TEACH LISTANSWERS.  It's meant to take a list such
as [a b c] and return [[a][b][c]], listifying every item in the original list.
Instead, it returns [[a] [b] c], and doesn't listify the last item in the
input list.  Can someone tell me why?  (The program in LISTANSWERS has an
output local - same difference.)

define listify(list);
vars item;
[^^(for item in list do [^item] endfor)]
enddefine;

I'm running v 14.5.

Thanks

Terry
Terry Dartnall
School of Computing and Information Technology
Griffith University Nathan Brisbane
Queensland 4111 Australia
Phone:  61-7-3875 5020
Fax:    61-7-3875-5051

Fri, 08 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 a little list problem

Quote:

> This little procedure is in TEACH LISTANSWERS.  It's meant to take a list such
> as [a b c] and return [[a][b][c]], listifying every item in the original list.
> Instead, it returns [[a] [b] c], and doesn't listify the last item in the
> input list.  Can someone tell me why?  (The program in LISTANSWERS has an
> output local - same difference.)

> define listify(list);
> vars item;
> [^^(for item in list do [^item] endfor)]
> enddefine;

> I'm running v 14.5.

The ^^ construct splices a list into another list. Crudely speaking, it
strips a set of list brackets off its argument and puts the contents
into the enclosing list. So [ ^^( [a] ) ] is just [a].

The procedure given above, with [a b c] as input, in effect has as an
intermediate result

    [ ^^( [a], [b], [c] ) ]

at the point where the for loop has run but the ^^ hasn't yet acted.
Since ^^ expects a single list as argument, it strips the brackets off
the [c] but leaves the other two lists alone, so when the outer list is
built you get the result you report. You can check this explanation: the
line above can be executed as I've typed it.

The teach file is thus incorrect, and the correct procedure is

    define listify1(list);
        vars item;
        [^(for item in list do [^item] endfor)]
    enddefine;

since the single ^ builds the list required without stripping any of the
brackets inserted in the loop.

Surprising that no-one's commented before in the 15 years the teach file
has been around! It must always have produced the error. I'll fix it in
the Sussex masters, though I don't know whether that will propagate now.

David

Fri, 08 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 a little list problem
David,
Thanks for responding to Terry's message, with a perfect
diagnosis and explanation.

I have no idea how I allowed this buggy version of listify to get into
or remain in TEACH LISTANSWERS:

Quote:
> > define listify(list);
> > vars item;
> > [^^(for item in list do [^item] endfor)]
> > enddefine;

I have learnt from bitter experience that I need to test all
demonstration programs even the ones that are *obviously* correct !!.

Quote:
> The teach file is thus incorrect, and the correct procedure is

>     define listify1(list);
>         vars item;
>         [^(for item in list do [^item] endfor)]
>     enddefine;

> since the single ^ builds the list required without stripping any of the
> brackets inserted in the loop.

Yes, though nowadays I would replace "vars" with "lvars" in that sort of
context.

And, in case anyone doesn't find it obvious, this

         [^(for item in list do [^item] endfor)]

is equivalent to this

         [% for item in list do [^item] endfor %]

which is probably better style.

Quote:
> Surprising that no-one's commented before in the 15 years the teach file
> has been around! It must always have produced the error.

I suspect we have a great deal of old teaching material that is not
really used.

Quote:
> I'll fix it in
> the Sussex masters, though I don't know whether that will propagate now.

I have installed a fixed version in
        ftp://ftp.cs.bham.ac.uk/pub/dist/poplog/bugfixes/teach/

with a note in
        ftp://ftp.cs.bham.ac.uk/pub/dist/poplog/bugfixes/BUGREPORTS

I shall eventually work out a scheme for updating all the masters and
the gzipped tar files here, but right now I am rather busy with other
things.

It looks as if the bham version will become the "main" version for a
while, though I don't know what will happen in the long run.

Aaron

Sat, 09 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 a little list problem
Aaron

Quote:
> [% for item in list do [^item] endfor %]
> is  probably better style.

I'd already pointed this out to David!

Thanks for your reply.

Terry
Terry Dartnall
School of Computing and Information Technology
Griffith University Nathan Brisbane
Queensland 4111 Australia
Phone:  61-7-3875 5020
Fax:    61-7-3875-5051

Sun, 10 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. 1 little, 2 little, 3 little endians...

2. Have any one a little cobol commands list?

3. List of exercises... a little OT

4. limited test-less loop-less call-full repetition

6. a little problem...

7. Little endian problem with Dual Procs

8. Little Tcl problem

9. Annoying Little Problem

10. Two little problems

11. Little typing problem