March 10 Changes
Author Message
 March 10 Changes

Hi Group,
          Anyone installed linux poplog since March 10 ? I am trying to
build it under linux emulation on NetBSD and have a problem with the
file C.all/lib/lib/mkimage.p
          When run_install unpacks this file the first character on the
first line is a full colon not /* as it should be. This makes, I think,
corepop believe a variable is being declared and the install has a
MISHAP and tries to go to Setpop.
           All the other files in this directory have the correct first
character when unpacked otherwise I would suspect a problem with NetBSD.
I am reluctant to try it on my Debian partition unless I have to since
that installation is working well from before March 10.

                                    All the best,
                                        John Duncan

Sat, 24 Sep 2005 17:52:18 GMT
 March 10 Changes
Quote:

> Hi Group,
>          Anyone installed linux poplog since March 10 ? I am trying to
> build it under linux emulation on NetBSD and have a problem with the
> file C.all/lib/lib/mkimage.p
>          When run_install unpacks this file the first character on the
> first line is a full colon not /* as it should be. This makes, I think,
> corepop believe a variable is being declared and the install has a
> MISHAP and tries to go to Setpop.
>           All the other files in this directory have the correct first
> character when unpacked otherwise I would suspect a problem with NetBSD.
> I am reluctant to try it on my Debian partition unless I have to since
> that installation is working well from before March 10.

>                                    All the best,
>                                        John Duncan

       O.K.
              I have installed it alright on another Linux machine.
  Looks like a problem with NetBSD.
                                   Keep Smiling,
                                       John Duncan

Sun, 25 Sep 2005 13:13:45 GMT
 March 10 Changes
John,
Thanks for your two messages (relayed from comp.lang.pop to pop-forum)

Your second one stated:

Quote:
>               I have installed it alright on another Linux machine.
>   Looks like a problem with NetBSD.

But this still puzzles me:

Quote:
>           Anyone installed linux poplog since March 10 ? I am trying to
> build it under linux emulation on NetBSD and have a problem with the
> file C.all/lib/lib/mkimage.p
>           When run_install unpacks this file the first character on the
> first line is a full colon not /* as it should be.

I wonder if this was jsut some sort of transcription error. The online
version of this file is

        http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/research/poplog/src/master/C.all/lib/lib/mki...

If you have anything that differs from this on your NetBSD system, then
probably something went wrong when you un-tarred the file. Was it this
one:
        bham-linux-poplog.tar.gz

It may be worth un-tarring again.

Aaron

Sun, 25 Sep 2005 19:05:08 GMT
 March 10 Changes
Quote:

> John,
> Thanks for your two messages (relayed from comp.lang.pop to pop-forum)

> Your second one stated:

>>              I have installed it alright on another Linux machine.
>>  Looks like a problem with NetBSD.

> But this still puzzles me:

>>          Anyone installed linux poplog since March 10 ? I am trying to
>>build it under linux emulation on NetBSD and have a problem with the
>>file C.all/lib/lib/mkimage.p
>>          When run_install unpacks this file the first character on the
>>first line is a full colon not /* as it should be.

> I wonder if this was jsut some sort of transcription error. The online
> version of this file is

>    http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/research/poplog/src/master/C.all/lib/lib/mki...

> If you have anything that differs from this on your NetBSD system, then
> probably something went wrong when you un-tarred the file. Was it this
> one:
>    bham-linux-poplog.tar.gz

> It may be worth un-tarring again.

> Aaron

Hi Aaron,
          It is something which is happening when this directory
../C.all/lib/lib is untarred on NetBSD whether under the Linux emulation
directory or not. I have checked all the files in this directory and it
only happens to mkimage.p
          I have downloaded the tarball with a few different programs
and the behaviour is the same, the timestamp of mkimage.p is changed
so the system is rewriting this first character.
          I will play with this further before I give in and mount my
Debian partition and try copying over /usr/local/poplog to NetBSD.
                                All the best,
                                     John Duncan

Mon, 26 Sep 2005 13:42:54 GMT
 March 10 Changes

Quote:

>           It is something which is happening when this directory
> ./C.all/lib/lib is untarred on NetBSD whether under the Linux emulation
> directory or not. I have checked all the files in this directory and it
> only happens to mkimage.p

Sounds like a bug in either gunzip or tar, though I find it hard to
believe that NetBSD uses different source for those.

If you just 'tar cfz' that lib directory then untar it I wonder
if it corrupts the file.

Quote:
>           I have downloaded the tarball with a few different programs
> and the behaviour is the same, the timestamp of mkimage.p is changed
> so the system is rewriting this first character.
>           I will play with this further before I give in and mount my
> Debian partition and try copying over /usr/local/poplog to NetBSD.

That's a lot of effort to get round one wrong character in one file.

If you have everything untarred correctly apart from the one file, edit
the file to fix it, or fetch this one

        http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/research/poplog/src/master/C.all/lib/lib/mki...

then copy and edit the installation script (run by run_install)

        INSTALL_MOTIF_POPLOG

to leave out this line

        zcat $tardir/linux-pc-1553a.tar.gz | tar xf -

Then everything should work if that one file is the only thing
corrupted.

Aaron

Mon, 26 Sep 2005 16:00:18 GMT
 March 10 Changes

Quote:

> Sounds like a bug in either gunzip or tar, though I find it hard to
> believe that NetBSD uses different source for those.

> If you just 'tar cfz' that lib directory then untar it I wonder
> if it corrupts the file.

>>          I will play with this further before I give in and mount my
>>Debian partition and try copying over /usr/local/poplog to NetBSD.

> That's a lot of effort to get round one wrong character in one file.

> Then everything should work if that one file is the only thing
> corrupted.

> Aaron

G'day Aaron,
             I may have misled you a bit. After further playing around
I think this could be some system call thing on NetBSD. I think this
rewriting is happening when mkimage.p is called by the installation
script. I have managed to get Poplog installed but no start-up images
were made. I am thinking of running $usepop/pop/com/mkstartup which I
see is a Bourne shell script which will call makeimage.p
             I will fix up mkimage.p before I run it and see if is
changed again. At the moment I can't get mkstartup to find basepop11
even though $poplog pop11 works from my home directory.
              This is fun and I am learning a lot. Thanks for your
advice and encouragement.

                              All the best,
                                  John Duncan

Tue, 27 Sep 2005 12:47:53 GMT

1. Toronto Smalltalk User Group March 10 meeting

2. TOOLS Europe '94 March 7-10, 1994, Versailles-France (long)

3. PyCon t-shirts: order by March 10

4. HPFF Meeting Notes - March 9-10, 1992 (Dallas)

5. HPFF Meeting Report - March 9-10 (Dallas)

6. HPFF Meeting Report - March 9-10 (Dallas)

7. PyCon t-shirts: order by March 10

8. TOOLS Europe '94 March 7-10, 1994, Versailles-France (long)

9. ML - much changed in 10 years?

10. Starter for 10: Changing owner/group of a symlink