Forwarded Re: Quick external problem?
Author Message
 Forwarded Re: Quick external problem?

On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 02:00:21PM +0100, Aaron Sloman

Quote:

> > What does 'Inappropriate ioctl for device' mean?

This refers to the C function "ioctl" (input/output control).  It's
quite a low-level procedure that (according to its man page)
"manipulates the underlying device parameters of special files.  In
particular, many operating characteristics of character special files
(e.g. terminals) may be controlled with ioctl requests."

In short, it's probably a much lower-level problem than poplog.  I'm
just guessing, but perhaps the permissions on file.so are wrong?  It may
need to be set executable or world-readable in order to work.
Alternatively, maybe the permissions on the directory it's in are
similarly wrong?

        - Andrew

Tue, 28 Dec 2004 21:47:40 GMT
 Forwarded Re: Quick external problem?

Quote:
>>>What does 'Inappropriate ioctl for device' mean?

> This refers to the C function "ioctl" (input/output control).  It's
> quite a low-level procedure that (according to its man page)
> "manipulates the underlying device parameters of special files.  In
> particular, many operating characteristics of character special files
> (e.g. terminals) may be controlled with ioctl requests."

> In short, it's probably a much lower-level problem than poplog.  I'm
> just guessing, but perhaps the permissions on file.so are wrong?  It may
> need to be set executable or world-readable in order to work.
> Alternatively, maybe the permissions on the directory it's in are
> similarly wrong?

>    - Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Yeah I had a quick look at the man page and my first impression was the
same as yours, something to do with permisions.
I had tried changing the permissions on the file, I hadn't tried the
directory. I have now and still no joy.
What I am confused about is the fact that xved and xemacs give different
versions of the error?

Thanks

--
Mike

http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~mhl/

Tue, 28 Dec 2004 21:57:09 GMT

1. Forwarded Re: Quick external problem?

2. Forwarded Re: Quick external problem?

3. Quick external problem?

4. External syncing of Quick Time

5. Forward reference problem

6. Forward reference problem

7. Forwarded (Matthias Scheutz) Re: Sockets problem

8. Forwarded: Still Windows problems with popautolib?

9. Forwarded:Poplog installation problem

10. Problem with using method_missing to forward messages

11. Problem doing forward-chaining / findall

12. Bug report (Tk4.0b4): search forward problem in text widgets