ved-configuration-problem
Author Message
 ved-configuration-problem

hi poppers,
i have a problem with ved-configuration.

i have a decstation on my desk. pop11 however runs on a unix-workstation.
therefore i'm logging over to that unix-workstation, where i'm starting
poplog.

the problem is, that the dec-monitor is only very small, so i'm working
with large windows and large fonts (xterm -fn *-Courier-*-18).
when i start ved then however, the vedscreen is somehow "corrupted": only
because i know how it normally would look like, i'm able to work with it.
e.g. neither the split-screen-line is visible nor the marking ranges. so it
is always some sort of blind navigation....

on the other hand: if i open a "normal-sized" window (xterm -fn 7x14) then
everything is ok: i can see the spliting line, the ranges are correctly
marked, i can identify the line numbers....

the only thing i configured in my vedinit.p is:
veduseterm('dxterm');

is there anyone who has an answer for that ?

hoping,

-moni

monika sester - institut fuer photogrammetrie - uni-stuttgart

0711-121 3384

Tue, 19 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 ved-configuration-problem

: the problem is, that the dec-monitor is only very small, so i'm working
: with large windows and large fonts (xterm -fn *-Courier-*-18).
: when i start ved then however, the vedscreen is somehow "corrupted": only
: because i know how it normally would look like, i'm able to work with it.
: e.g. neither the split-screen-line is visible nor the marking ranges. so it
: is always some sort of blind navigation....

If it is just the status line and range mark that are missing -- i.e.
if the text's OK -- then it's probably because the Courier font doesn't
have the graphics characters that Ved uses for drawing those parts of
the screen, and they're being mapped to blanks.

: the only thing i configured in my vedinit.p is:
: veduseterm('dxterm');

Try adding

        vednographics();

immediately after, which tells Ved to use ordinary ASCII characters
instead.

Robert

School of Cognitive & Computing Sciences               tel: 01273 678881
University of Sussex, Brighton, BN1 9QH, UK            fax: 01273 671320

Fri, 22 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 ved-configuration-problem

Quote:
> unfortunately no idea worked out....
> with the selection of an xterm, the windowsize and all the keys are correct
> - only the aspect of the editor remains strange, namely the splitting line
> isn't visible, etc.

Ah, I misunderstood. I thought the layout was wrong. I misread your
message.

That means you are using a font that does not have the Vt100 graphic
characters. So just find out which fonts are available of a suitable
size (using xfontsel) and keep trying them until you get one that
has the graphic characters. E.g. I use
        xterm -fn 10x20

which I think is equivalent on my machine to selecting

        -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--20-200-75-75-c-100-iso8859-1

Here are some other font specifications that may work, from my .Xdefaults
file
XTerm*VT100*font3: -misc-fixed-bold-r-*-*-15-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
XTerm*VT100*font4: -sony-fixed-*-r-*-*-16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
XTerm*VT100*font5: -sony-fixed-*-r-*-*-24-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

I can select those in an Xterm window using CTRL + Left mouse button.
You could make one your default, e.g. this should work if it is
available
        -sony-fixed-medium-r-normal--24-170-100-100-c-120-iso8859-1
I sometimes use it on a projector for teaching. It's not my favourite
font for my own work, but it has the graphic characters and a larger
than average font size.

Other people may have better font suggestions.

Aaron

Sat, 23 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Running Ved from Ved

2. Search and Replace Problems in the new VED in V14.5

3. configurations of configurations

4. Timing Problems with AI configuration

5. Problems with configuration file losing data

6. configuration-file vi + app builder Problem

7. Problem Win V4 PSPrinter.Install: Configuration corrupted obj file

8. Mysql/Ruby on win32, configuration problem

9. VRwave configuration / world problem...

10. HELP : Keybord configuration problem under Windows95

11. Visibility problems in Parent.Child configuration

12. RadAsm Hla configuration problem