Linux Poplog - seg fault?
Author Message
 Linux Poplog - seg fault?

Hi!

        I just downloaded and installed the demo poplog distribution
on my linux box.  Everything uncompressed just fine, but when I try to
run poplog, I get a segmentation fault.  Anyone ever have this
problem?  My machine info follows:

                        486DX 66
                        16 Meg memory
                        Linux 1.3.20 kernel

                                -sTeve-O

* Socorro, NM 87801                     (505)835-5144                *

Tue, 28 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Linux Poplog - seg fault?

Quote:
>    I just downloaded and installed the demo poplog distribution
>on my linux box.  Everything uncompressed just fine, but when I try to
>run poplog, I get a segmentation fault.  Anyone ever have this
>problem?  My machine info follows:
>                    486DX 66
>                    16 Meg memory
>                    Linux 1.3.20 kernel

Poplog runs on Linux 1.2.X but not on 1.3.X kernels. Julian mentioned in an
earlier post that they didn't test it on 1.3 because that was the development
kernel. So you can either downgrade to 1.2.13 or wait for a new release of
Poplog.

Ben.

Wed, 29 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Linux Poplog - seg fault?

Quote:

>> Poplog runs on Linux 1.2.X but not on 1.3.X kernels. Julian mentioned in an
>> earlier post that they didn't test it on 1.3 because that was the development
>I'm not convinced about this.
>Steve: exactly which Linux setup were you running? If it was an ELF system
>then it won't work as Poplog is still a.out.
>I'm considering getting RedHat 2.1 which is ELF kernel 1.3.x but has a good
>set of a.out compatability libraries.
>Can anyone confirm whether or not Poplog works on 1.3.x but with
>a.out libraries??

It doesn't matter whether you have elf or a.out libraries, because the
poplog binaries are statically linked.
I have tried poplog on several 1.3.X kernels and on the 1.2.13 kernel.
In all case the system was exactly the same (except for the kernel).
I've build all the kernel myself (same options, drivers, compilers, etc).
It runs on 1.2.13 and not on 1.3.X.

I would suggest that you just go ahead with RedHat but also get the kernel
source of 1.2.13 and build that. It should run fine with the rest of
the system. [I have also a SCSI DAT-drive which only works properly since
1.3.20 or so, so I'm forced to run a newer kernel, otherwise I would be
quite happy to run 1.2.13]

Ben.

Sun, 03 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Linux Poplog - seg fault?

Quote:

> >       I just downloaded and installed the demo poplog distribution
> >on my linux box.  Everything uncompressed just fine, but when I try to
> >run poplog, I get a segmentation fault.  Anyone ever have this
> >                       16 Meg memory
> >                       Linux 1.3.20 kernel

> Poplog runs on Linux 1.2.X but not on 1.3.X kernels. Julian mentioned in an
> earlier post that they didn't test it on 1.3 because that was the development

I'm not convinced about this.

Steve: exactly which Linux setup were you running? If it was an ELF system
then it won't work as Poplog is still a.out.

I'm considering getting RedHat 2.1 which is ELF kernel 1.3.x but has a good
set of a.out compatability libraries.

Can anyone confirm whether or not Poplog works on 1.3.x but with
a.out libraries??

Ian.

Sun, 03 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Calling Haskell function from C (FFI) causes seg-fault (GHC,linux)

2. seg fault on tcl8.2 linux ppc R5 glibc2 kernel2.2.6-15apmac

3. Wish8.0 SEG faulting in linux

4. Segmentation fault in POPLOG Linux.

5. Seg fault in J 2.02 on Sparc

6. Seg fault in J2.04 on Sparc

7. irb seg fault with latest ruby build on solaris

8. FXRuby 1.0.20 seg fault

9. new to ruby, seg fault

10. Requiring zlib & xmlparser seg faults

11. Possible bug -- ruby cvs (1.7.2 2002-02-10) interpreter seg fault

12. installing mod_ruby --> seg fault in ruby-rdtool