Quick external problem?
Author Message
 Quick external problem?

Hi,

I'm trying to load a shared object file in poplog using the following
syntax..

external load example;
         'file.so'
endexternal;

When I compile the file in XEMACS I get the following message

: ;;; Compiling buffer file.p
;;; Warning: can't open shared object ./file.so (Inappropriate ioctl for
;;;     device)

When I compile the same file in XVed I get a slightly different error..

;;; Warning: can't open shared object ./file.so (Success)

The both fail to find values for all symbols and then give...

;;; MISHAP - ERRORS ACCESSING EXTERNAL SYMBOLS (see above)
;;; FILE     :  /home/mhl/SIM_AGENT/external/file.p   LINE NUMBER:  432
;;; DOING    :  external_do_load exload_do_batch_load external runproc

file.p and file.so are in the same directory and the permissions are
fine for file.so. I'd like to understand what this error message means?
Does anybody know a possible reason?

Thanks

--
Mike

http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~mhl/

Tue, 28 Dec 2004 19:16:39 GMT
 Quick external problem?

Quote:

> Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 11:16:39 +0000 (UTC)

> Hi,

> I'm trying to load a shared object file in poplog using the following
> syntax..

> external load example;
>          'file.so'
> endexternal;

> When I compile the file in XEMACS I get the following message

> : ;;; Compiling buffer file.p
> ;;; Warning: can't open shared object ./file.so (Inappropriate ioctl for
> ;;;        device)

> When I compile the same file in XVed I get a slightly different error..

> ;;; Warning: can't open shared object ./file.so (Success)
> file.p and file.so are in the same directory and the permissions are
> fine for file.so.

Are you working in that directory? I.e. does pwd give the same
directory?

If not, that would explain it. Maybe some compilers take all file
names as being relative to the directory of the file currently being
compiled. Pop-11 does not.

The utility compilehere, available in these files
    http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/research/poplog/auto/compilehere.p
        Program file
    http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/research/poplog/help/compilehere
        Help file

gets over this for programs that use "compile".

Maybe a version of that for external load is also needed.
Try, in the meantime, ensuring that you either use an absolute
path name in the external load command, or work in the directory
containing the files.

Otherwise you may be able to use popfilename (which is the path name
of the file being compiled) to extract the directory, and then
construct the full path of the file to be externally loaded.

Quote:

> The both fail to find values for all symbols and then give...

> ;;; MISHAP - ERRORS ACCESSING EXTERNAL SYMBOLS (see above)
> ;;; FILE     :  /home/mhl/SIM_AGENT/external/file.p   LINE NUMBER:  432
> ;;; DOING    :  external_do_load exload_do_batch_load external runproc

that's a consequence of not finding the file.

Aaron
====
Aaron Sloman, ( http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~axs/ )

PAPERS: http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/research/cogaff/ (And free book on Philosophy of AI)
FREE TOOLS: http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/research/poplog/freepoplog.html

Tue, 28 Dec 2004 19:31:12 GMT
 Quick external problem?
Mike,
Thanks for your message.

> > Are you working in that directory? I.e. does pwd give the same
> > directory?

> > If not, that would explain it.

> I'm working in the same directory, I've tried using absolute path names
> aswell. If the file isn't in the correct directory, ie. poplog can't
> find the file the error changes

> Warning - can't open shared object file.so (No such file or directory)

> What does 'Inappropriate ioctl for device' mean?

In that case I am totally mystified. Maybe you should say how you
generated the file.so file. I have never used external load myself
so there may be some incompatibility that someone else can explain.

I assume you can get the examples in REF external to work?

There are lots of examples of C programs compiled and loaded in the
popvision library
        http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/research/poplog/popvision.tar.gz

If you untar it into $poplocal/local then explore the
directories you'll find in the popvision/lib directory C programs and
pop-11 programs that invoke them. The compiled versions of the C
programs are in
         popvision/lib/bin/<systemtype>

They are created by commands in shell scripts in
        popvision/com

(All done by David Young).

Post any further details to pop-forum or comp.lang.pop rather than to me
as I am too ignorant and may also be too busy to reply!

Aaron

Tue, 28 Dec 2004 21:01:39 GMT

1. Forwarded Re: Quick external problem?

2. Forwarded Re: Quick external problem?

3. Forwarded Re: Quick external problem?

4. External syncing of Quick Time

5. Quick Problem

6. Quick file access problems

7. Clarion 5 and Quick DDE problems.

8. External link errors when using external Catalyst SocketTools Library Edition 2.15 dll

9. Problem With Quick DDE

10. Quick Load Problem (Very Beginer Question)

11. Quick Basic 4.5 graphics problem.

12. Problem : Quick sort