Subject: Re: Problem installing PopLog on RedHat 9 - error in linking
Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 00:45:02 +0000

 > Hi,

 > I am trying to install PopLog on RedHat 9 using the
 > bham-linux-poplog.tar.gz file, but when running the initial install
 > script via ./run_install, the install bombs out as per the log below.
 > I'm pretty new to linux and am not sure exactly what's happening here,
 > but it looks fairly terminal. Could anyone give me some pointers? Not
 > sure what relevant info to include here so please ask and I will try to
 > provide.

 > TIA, Jay

 >>mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/local/poplog': File exists
 >>   Motif found OK
 >>Unpacking poplog+motif. May take some time

[snip]

 >>/usr/local/poplog/v15.53/pop/obj/src.olb(devio.o)(.text+0xda9):
  >> more undefined references to `errno' follow
 >>collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

[snip]

Check that the file errno.h exists in /usr/include (ls -l
/usr/incluse/errno.h) If it doesn't try to find it elsewhere - you might
need to install the devel RPM for your libraries - and make a symlink
pointing to it in your /usr/include/ dir.

Check 'man errno' for more info.

Hope that helps.

dave.

   The future of HTML mail is clearly > /dev/null.
   Two of the most famous products of Berkeley are
LSD and Unix. I don t think that is a coincidence

  The future of HTML mail is clearly > /dev/null.
  Two of the most famous products of Berkeley are
LSD and Unix. I don t think that is a coincidence

Tue, 18 Oct 2005 07:44:43 GMT
 [Fwd: Re: Problem installing PopLog on RedHat 9 - error in linking]

Quote:

I note that I upgraded to RH9 recently at work (at home I'm still
running RH8) and the existing installation of Poplog still works;
but when you run pop11 you get

  Incorrectly built binary which accesses errno, h_errno or _res directly.
  Needs to be fixed.

Presumably something changed in the 8-9 increment that we need to
find out about. (It all carries on *running* without apparent
problems.)

I don't have time to follow it up right now. Jena 2 Preview 3 is
supposed to be out next week ...

--
Chris "electric hedgehog" Dollin
C welcome: http://www.angelfire.com/ms3/bchambless0/welcome_to_clc.html

Tue, 18 Oct 2005 15:36:34 GMT
 [Fwd: Re: Problem installing PopLog on RedHat 9 - error in linking]

Quote:

> >  >>/usr/local/poplog/v15.53/pop/obj/src.olb(devio.o)(.text+0xda9):
> >   >> more undefined references to `errno' follow
> >  >>collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

> > [snip]

> I note that I upgraded to RH9 recently at work (at home I'm still
> running RH8) and the existing installation of Poplog still works;
> but when you run pop11 you get

>   Incorrectly built binary which accesses errno, h_errno or _res directly.
>   Needs to be fixed.

> Presumably something changed in the 8-9 increment that we need to
> find out about. (It all carries on *running* without apparent
> problems.)

If runs but produces a warning, then a temporary work around is to
edit the installation script to avoid relinking poplog.

In the file INSTALL_MOTIF_POPLOG comment out this bit:

    ##### START of bit that may not work on Mandrake and some other systems
    ### Comment out the next few commands (up to ##### END) if you are
    ### running mandrake and installation does not work

    echo "relinking -- using $popsys/poplink_cmnd"

    cd $popsys
        ./poplink_cmnd

    echo "checking for newpop11"

    ls -l newpop11

    if ( -f newpop11 ) then
        echo "copying newpop11 to basepop11"
        cp newpop11 basepop11
        rm newpop11
    else
        echo "COULD NOT LINK NEWPOP11:"
        echo "Try commenting out poplink_cmnd"
        echo "OR"
        echo "Try asking for help via comp.lang.pop or pop-forum AT cs.bham.ac.uk"
        exit
    endif
    ##### END of bit that may not work on Mandrake

and then run it again.

It may, or may not work. I.e. it may be able to rebuild all the
saved images using the basepop11 binary. Then you'll just have
to put up with the warning message mentioned by Chris whenever you
start poplog.

Since you have already actually untarred the system you can also
comment out this bit earlier in the file:

    echo "Unpacking poplog+motif. May take some time"

    # Install linux poplog with motif
    zcat $tardir/linux-pc-1553a.tar.gz | tar xf -

    echo "UNPACKING POPLOG TAR FILE COMPLETE"

That just unpacks the tar file in /usr/local/poplog or wherever
and you don't need to do it again.

What Dave wrote is also worth looking at

Quote:
> Check that the file errno.h exists in /usr/include (ls -l
> /usr/incluse/errno.h) If it doesn't try to find it elsewhere - you might
> need to install the devel RPM for your libraries - and make a symlink
> pointing to it in your /usr/include/ dir.

> Check 'man errno' for more info.

It's possible that for reasons to do with the market place Redhat
are moving towards a minimal installation as the default, i.e.
without the libraries needed by developers. In that case
you may have to find a devel RPM on the redhat CD that
includes errno.h (I don't know which it would be), or maybe
even a SRC rpm.

In general, when installing redhat I find it useful to ask for all
the 'developer' options when customising the installation (a tedious
process) even though I probably end up wasting many megabytes on my
hard drive.

That's because often I later want to install packages fetched
remotely, e.g. xine, which have to be compiled from source, and
without the 'developer' options that often will not work. Likewise
installing some rpms.
Some packages use libraries and languages I have never heard of and
don't use myself.

It's a messy world.

Aaron
====
Aaron Sloman, ( http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~axs/ )

PAPERS: http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/research/cogaff/ (And free book on Philosophy of AI)
FREE TOOLS: http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/research/poplog/freepoplog.html

Tue, 18 Oct 2005 18:29:37 GMT
 [Fwd: Re: Problem installing PopLog on RedHat 9 - error in linking]

Quote:

> It's possible that for reasons to do with the market place Redhat
> are moving towards a minimal installation as the default, i.e.
> without the libraries needed by developers. In that case
> you may have to find a devel RPM on the redhat CD that
> includes errno.h (I don't know which it would be), or maybe
> even a SRC rpm.

I believe you'll find it in the glibc-devel rpm.

Stephen Isard

Tue, 18 Oct 2005 22:45:45 GMT
 [Fwd: Re: Problem installing PopLog on RedHat 9 - error in linking]
All,

I've finally got it working; thanks for the help.

The suggested workaround did work; although I had tried it earlier, I
was having other problems at the time due to not having a libXm.so.2
symlink. Once I sorted that out and tried again, poplog did install. It
did spit out dozens of the "Incorrectly built binary which accesses
errno, h_errno or _res directly. Needs to be fixed." messages that Chris
  is receiving, and just like his install, spits one out every time I
run poplog, but it *does run*.

I did already have the /usr/include/errno.h on my system, along with the
rest of the glibc-devel package, although I think Aaron, you are right
about RedHat not installing the development RPM's by default. Didn't
help that the second time I installed linux I did a custom install and
didn't choose to install them - as a recent convert from Windows I'm not
used to having to compile stuff before I can use it. Just goes to show
how easy I've had it before now...

Again, thanks for all the help guys - although now I have no excuse for
not getting on with my poplog assignment!

Regards,

Jay

Wed, 19 Oct 2005 02:47:06 GMT
 [Fwd: Re: Problem installing PopLog on RedHat 9 - error in linking]

had written:

> Once I sorted that out and tried again, poplog did install. It
> did spit out dozens of the "Incorrectly built binary which accesses
> errno, h_errno or _res directly. Needs to be fixed." messages that Chris
>   is receiving, and just like his install, spits one out every time I
> run poplog, but it *does run*.

Here's my guess as to what's wrong.

The directory $popexternlib i.e. $usepop/pop/extern/lib includes
a collection of C files, a shell command file mklibpop, and a
library archive libpop.a

The C files access errno and other unix/linux things (i've just
checked).

The mklibpop script recompiles the C files and rebuilds the libpop.a
library.

If I run mklibpop on redhat 8 I get a lot of warnings, though it does
actually rebuild the library.

If instead I do

    cc -c *.c

That creates a bunch of .o files without any warnings.

Then after saving libpop.a somewhere as a precaution, do

    ar rc libpop.a *.o

That creates a new libpop.a and I don't get any warnings.

That suggests to me
(a) that there's something wrong with the script mklibpop

(b) that I should alter the installation process to run
mklibpop in $popexternlib before relinking poplog.

Can anyone tell me what's causing the error/warning messages
when mklibpop runs?

Anyhow after that I tried
    cd $popsys
    ./poplink_cmnd

That links a new executable, newpop11.

If it runs OK, as it does on my system, then you can do

    cp newpop11 basepop11

(NB do not use 'mv' instead of 'cp' as that will{*filter*}up a lot
of links.)

After that you can recreate saved images.
    $popcom/makeimages

to rebuild the 'standard' saved images in $popsavelib

then to rebuild the bham images
    cd $poplocal/local/com
    mkstartup.local
    mkxved.local

if you want prolog
    mkplog.local
    mkxvedpro
        creates a version of xved that starts in prolog

if you want common lisp
    mkclisp.local
    mkxvedlisp

if you want standard ML
    mkpml

and for fun
    mkeliza
        The pop11 eliza (run as pop11 +eliza)
    mkgblocks
        The pop11 mini-SHRDLU (run as pop11 +gblocks)

If anyone who has redhat 9 tries this out, please let me
know if it gets rid of the warning messags.

Meanwhile I'll see if I can alter the standard startup script
to rebuild libpop.a

Another possible source of problems is that the Xpw library
should probably also be rebuilt on each new installation.

I've been scared to do that automatically in case it stops something
working!

If I run $popcom/mkXpw (after saving $popexternlib/libXpw.so ) it all
seems to work, though I get repeated warnings of the form:

cc1: warning: changing search order for system directory "/usr/include"
cc1: warning:   as it has already been specified as a non-system directory

This builds a new version of $popexternlib/libXpw.so and then the
poplink_cmnd script can be used to incorporate that in a new
version newpop11, etc.

I guess that should all be part of the standard installation process.

Aaron

Wed, 19 Oct 2005 16:37:45 GMT

1. [Fwd: Re: Problem installing PopLog on RedHat 9 - error in

2. Problem installing PopLog on RedHat 9 - error in linking

3. Error Condition Re: problem linking BLT under windows (fwd)

4. Problem installing SimpleScalar 2.0 on Redhat Linux 7.0

5. Problem installing HBC on REDHat 5.0

6. problems installing PGPLOT on redhat linux 9

7. python2.1 install problem on redhat 7.1

8. pyopengl install problem on redhat 8.0

9. Fwd: problem installing 1.6.8 on OS X 10.2

10. experimental patch for poplog for v15.53 on Redhat 9

11. relinking poplog for redhat 7.3

12. ask help for problem with static linking (fwd)