Poplog website?
Author Message
 Poplog website?

Hi folks

I was wondering if there were any Web sites with information
about Poplog, in particular pop11?

thanks in advance

                           ------
*****       And you, are you so forgetful of your past,     *****
***  is there no echo in in your soul of your poets' songs,   ***
**           your dreamers' dreams, your rebels' calls?"       **
*                          ~ Emma Goldman                       *

Sun, 28 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Poplog website?

Quote:
> I was wondering if there were any Web sites with information
> about Poplog, in particular pop11?

You can try the Birmingham Poplog ftp directory

        ftp://ftp.cs.bham.ac.uk/pub/dist/poplog

It includes a draft incomplete Pop-11 primer (in several different
formats).

I'll append the README file to this message.

There's also Adrian Howard's Poplog page at Sussex.
    http://www.*-*-*.com/

Aaron

Overview of Birminghap Poplog ftp directory follows.

README                                        Last Changed 12 July 1995
Aaron Sloman, School of Computer Science,
The University of Birmingham

This file is
    ftp://ftp.cs.bham.ac.uk/pub/dist/poplog/README

This directory (ftp/pub/dist/poplog) contains several sub-directories
which provide local extensions to Poplog files which may be copied and
used elsewhere. Much of the material is teaching material used in
introductory AI courses at the University of Birmingham (in addition to
online teaching material distributed with Poplog.)

For more information on Poplog see
    http://www.*-*-*.com/

The teaching material includes "teach" files and "help" files in the
teach/ and help/ sub-directories, and also Pop-11 program libraires in
the the auto/ and lib/ sub-directories.

Please note that there is no guarantee that anything is bug-free.

Files at top level
    poplog.info.html
        Pointer to more information about Poplog

    primer.Z
        Is a compressed version of a draft new introduction to
        Pop-11 suitable for people who already know some programming
        Also gives a lot of information about poplog. This is a plain
        ascii text version suitable for online reading. Uncompressed
        version is in the file:
            teach/primer

    primer.ps.Z
        Compressed postcript version of{*filter*}formatted version of
        the Pop-11 primer. (May have some formatting oddities).
        252 pages
    primer_2page.ps.Z
        This is a "reduced" version printing two pages side by side
        in landscape mode. 126 pages

    The postscript versions were updated 6th March 1995 to overcome
    a formatting bug regarding "^" in previous versions.

    A hard copy version of the Primer in the reduced format is available
    for 4 pounds plus 1 pound (UK) or 2 pounds (non-UK) postage and
    packing. Orders should be sent to

        The Librarian, School of Computer Science,
        The University of Birmingham, B15 2TT, England

        Phone: +44 121 414 3735         Fax: +44 121 414 4281

The directories are
    actor/
        See the file actor/README
        This directory includes some files that replace the versions
        of LIB ACTOR, LIB EVENT and LIB NEWQUEUE that were in Poplog
        up to versoin 14.2. There's also a demo program.

        This has been incorporated in Poplog with some minor changes
        since Version 14.5. See HELP * ACTOR, HELP * NEWQUEUE

    auto/
        Autoloadable program files suitable for installation in
        $poplocal/local/auto
        Includes some "fixed" versions of Poplog autoloadable files
        and various extensions, including ved_gn.p for reading
        news vian NNTP in VED, ved_texify.p for converting Poplog
        documentation to latex, and many more.

    help/
        Corresponding help files suitable for installation in
        $poplocal/local/help

    lib/
        Non-autoloadable program files files suitable for installation
        in $poplocal/local/lib
        Includes some fixed versions of Poplog library files.

    teach/
        TEACH files for VED and Pop-11 suitable for installation in
        $poplocal/local/teach. The following are among the teach files
        available
            teach/advent_objectclass
                Shows how to use OBJECTCLASS to define an adventure game.
            teach/gstart
                An introduction to Pop-11 using lib rc_graphic
            teach/netstart
                An accelerated introduction to the use of the Pop-11
                database package: how to use it to create simple
                networks, and then write procedures that operate on
                those networks.
            teach/induce_rules.p
                An introduction to rule induction programs
            teach/pop11.evolution
                A chapter from the book
                    James Anderson, (editor)
                    Pop-11 Comes of Age, Ellis Horwood, 1989
            teach/popcore
                Brief summary of Pop-11 constructs used by beginners
            teach/popcore.tex
               {*filter*}version of the above
            teach/tower
                A new introduction to searching in Pop11
            teach/searching
                More advanced and general searching programs

            (plus other teach files)

    menu/
        The code and documentation for the "recursive hypermenu system"
        an extension to Pop-11 and VED which allows easily extendable
        menus for controlling VED and Pop-11, and spawning Unix
        processes etc. using asynchronous control panels. A tutorial
        example is in menu/teach/menu_demo.p
        For details see menu/help/ved_menu. (A slightly out of date
        printable version of that file is menu/hyper.ps.Z)
        Last updated 3rd March 1995
        NB the set of autoloadable menus in menu/menus/*.p should be
        regarded as a sample, rather than definitive. Some of the
        examples will not work outside Birmingham as they need local
        libraries (available on request.)

    menutar.Z
        A compressed tar file containing the contents of the menu/
        and pui/ subdirectories.

    prb/
        Code and documentation for the POPRULEBASE system: a forward-
        chaining condition-action rule interpeter, replacing LIB NEWPSYS,
        with some unusual features described in these files:

            prb/teach/poprulebase
            prb/help/poprulebase
            prb/help/prb_extra
            prb/help/prb_filter
        News is in:
            prb/help/prb_news

    prbtar.Z
        A compressed tar file containing the poprulebase package.

    pui/
        An extension of Poplog's pop_ui facilities, for creation of
        popup menus, file browser, requests for text input, etc.
        Used by the menu/ package. Included in menutar.Z

    sim/
        The sim_agent package for exploring agent architectures,
        includes some installation files and several subdirectories
            sim/auto
            sim/doc
            sim/help
            sim/lib
            sim/ref
            sim/teach
            sim/test
    simtar.Z
        A compressed tar file containing the package, including some
        postscript documentation in the sim/doc directory.
        The prb package is needed to run sim.

    ved_latex/
        Some extensions to VED making it convenient for use with
       {*filter*}and xdvi. The documentation file is
            ved_latex/ved_latex

    tmac/
        Some nroff macro definition files as described in help/rno and
        help/rno.extra and used in auto/ved_rno.p and auto/ved_rnoprint.p
        Can be used to provide elementary formatting on unix machines
        in VED. You may wish to change the ved commands to use a
        different set of nroff/troff macros

    nntpstuff/
        Some C programs for accessing a News Server via NNTP
        Superseded by auto/ved_gn.p

    pui/
        Some pop-up menu and control panel facilities based on a
        modified version of Propsheet.

--- ftp://ftp.cs.bham.ac.uk/pub/dist/poplog/README
--- The University of Birmingham 1995.  --------------------------------

Sun, 28 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Poplog website?

Quote:

> Hi folks

> I was wondering if there were any Web sites with information
> about Poplog, in particular pop11?

On Poplog there's:

        http://www.cogs.susx.ac.uk/users/adrianh/poplog.html

On Pop-11 there's:

        http://www.cogs.susx.ac.uk/users/adrianh/pop11.html

If there are any other Pop(log) related W3 sites out there I'd love to
hear about them.

Adrian

Phone: +44 (0)1273 678367 URL: http://www.cogs.susx.ac.uk/users/adrianh/

Mon, 29 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT

1. Poplog talk/demo in Oxford, UK

2. Availability and performance of POPLOG

3. where can I get POPLOG?

4. New poplog users start enthusiastically.

5. Poplog and .NET

6. Could I compile a poplog program into .exe ??

7. poplog for small linux systems

8. Startup Poplog Inquiries

9. Tuning linux-poplog

10. Tuning linux-poplog # correction

11. (NEW) Poplog Version 15.53 for windows/NT

12. reduced poplog