EMACS and POP
Author Message
 EMACS and POP

There is an improved version of the EMACS - POPLOG interface which was done
here by Gordon Dakin. This "knows" that POPLOG has 4 languages (not a
natural concept to EMACS). I did send it across the Atlantic some time ago,
but don't know if it will be in contrib for 14.2.  It will work in
conjunction with XVED to give access to help files (I don't know why people
like EMACS but they do...). Gordon Dakin has bashed it hard (at least the
Prolog and POP interface), since he is one of the ones who likes EMACS.

Robin.

Sun, 16 Jul 1995 08:13:22 GMT
 EMACS and POP

Quote:

> There is an improved version of the EMACS - POPLOG interface which was done
> here by Gordon Dakin. This "knows" that POPLOG has 4 languages (not a
> natural concept to EMACS). I did send it across the Atlantic some time ago,
> but don't know if it will be in contrib for 14.2.  It will work in
> conjunction with XVED to give access to help files

Yes, we have a copy here at Birmingham which I find pretty good. The one
thing that an emacs interface to pop11 lacks at the moment (there may well
be more than one) is an interface to the de{*filter*}. This excellent and very
useful tool, can `sort-of' be used within a pop immediate mode within emacs,
but you can't display the source at the same time. A real drag.

Quote:
>(I don't know why people like EMACS but they do...)

Why does anyone like anything? It is a subjective issue, based upon all
sorts of non directly related things. Personally I came across micro emacs
years ago (it was the only editor on our system), and after using that for
some time GNU emacs came along and I switched over to that (it was the
natural move to make), and have been using it ever since.

I did spend some time on a VMS machine, so obviously started using eve which
is a very powerful editor, but soon found a clash between it and my emacs
knowledge, so was glad when I could give it up and go back to unix.

With emacs, it is the same as anything, as more people invest more time and
effort producing more and more modes for it, its usefulness grows and grows.
The result is that at the moment emacs may be far from perfect, but I know it
very well, and don't see the point of converting to another editor like ved
that may be better in some ways but worse in others. This is subjective of
course, but so are likes and dislikes.

If I am going to learn a new editor, then I would tend to want to learn
something like sam, the plan 9 editor, which philosophically speaking
represents the way forward for editors. It is very small and fast and highly
integrated to its applications.

It is amusing to point out that in fact I have had to learn a little ved,
not only to get around the de{*filter*} problem, but also in order to
demonstrate pop11 to MSC students. Mind you when I have to go and help them
with a problem, and I try and use their set up, I have to ask things like
"Can you remind me how to mark this line" etc...

Tim

    Room LG23, School of Computer Science, The University of Birmingham,
    B15 2TT, England, Phone: +44-(0)21-414-4766, Fax: +44-(0)21-414-4281

Mon, 17 Jul 1995 21:43:41 GMT

1. Using Emacs with Pop...

2. New version of pop-mode for GNU Emacs/XEmacs

3. Output to emacs pop-up buffers

4. comp.lang.pop (and pop-forum) FAQ available in html

5. comp.lang.pop (and pop-forum) FAQ available in html

6. comp.lang.pop -> pop-forum gateway

7. comp.lang.pop and pop-forum gateway

8. pop FAQ (was Q: what is pop?)

9. news-relayFrom: pop@uucp.rabbit (pop)

10. POP and pop.py and/or poplib

11. Pop-up windows don't pop up for sub-widgets

12. Ruby Emacs-mode with Emacs 21.1.1