LInux Poplog beginner's questions
Author Message
 LInux Poplog beginner's questions

Hello,

Q1
How do I run Ved on its own.
ie I would like to use it as my standard file editor so I can type
ved <myfile>
from BASH

Q2
How do I run normal 'character-mode' ved in an X-term?
Poplog fires up Xved.

Q3
I have installed Sussex popvision in
/usr/pop/popvision
How do I make Poplog aware of its presence?
The Sussex README file tells me to put a file called popvision.p in a directory
listed by popuseslist.
But,
Some of the environment variables in popuseslist do not appear to have any
defined value - where should these variables be defined?
Some of the directories listed in popuseslist do not seem to match the ones in my
Poplog installation.  Where is popuseslist defined?

Thanks,

Liam Parnell.

Sun, 26 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 LInux Poplog beginner's questions

Quote:
> I have installed Sussex popvision in
> /usr/pop/popvision
> How do I make Poplog aware of its presence?
> The Sussex README file tells me to put a file called popvision.p in a directory
> listed by popuseslist.
> But,
> Some of the environment variables in popuseslist do not appear to have any
> defined value - where should these variables be defined?
> Some of the directories listed in popuseslist do not seem to match the ones in my
> Poplog installation.  Where is popuseslist defined?

It doesn't actually matter (for this purpose anyway) if some of the
variables in popuseslist are undefined. You only need to identify one
directory in the list as really existing and put the popvision.p file in
that.

In fact, even that is only for convenience; if you simply execute

    compile('/usr/pop/popvision/lib/popvision.p');

at the start of your session (by putting this line in your init.p for
instance) then Poplog will be aware of the existence of the popvision
libraries (i.e. the relevant search paths will be extended).

However, to the best of my knowledge, no-one has yet tried popvision
from Linux Poplog. As far as I know, there is no reason why it should
not work, but you will need to recompile the C code, and it is possible
that you will have to modify popvision/lib/objectfile.p so that it gets
the suffix correct (i.e. if it isn't '.o' under Linux). The README file
offers some advice, and I assume that the version of REF EXTERNAL that
comes with Linux Poplog will help with the compiler flags and so on.

I'd be interested to know whether popvision works on this system. Has
anyone else tried it?

David Young

Sun, 26 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 LInux Poplog beginner's questions
Robert Duncan's reply to Liam had:

Quote:
> But actually you can put the popvision.p file wherever you like,
> provided that you add the directory to popuseslist yourself, i.e. if
> the full pathname is /usr/pop/popvision/popvision.p, do
>     '/usr/pop/popvision/' :: popuseslist -> popuseslist;
> If you want this done every time you run Poplog, create an "init.p" file
> for yourself and add to it the line
>     extend_searchlist('/usr/pop/popvision/', popuseslist) -> popuseslist;

Don't do it this way. Do what I said in my message. Reason why on
request.

David

Sun, 26 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 LInux Poplog beginner's questions
David wrote

Quote:
> However, to the best of my knowledge, no-one has yet tried popvision
> from Linux Poplog. As far as I know, there is no reason why it should
> not work,

Alas, there is one problem. lib rc_graphic does not compile on the one
version of linux poplog I've seen demonstrated (Jonathan Sloman's
machine -- I don't have a PC).

It complained about missing motif libraries. They cost money, so few
people have them on linux systems.

However, RC_GRAPHIC does not need motif libraries, so with help from
John Gibson I tried again, after the following:

    ['-lXt' '-lX11'] -> XLINK_EXLIBFILES;

However, loading lib rc_graphic still complained about not being able
to find libXt, which is strange because it was there. I have not
investigated this further, but I would like to know whether anyone
has been able to compile rc_graphic on linux poplog. Without it
the popvision libraries won't work.

(Julian tells me that in the next release of linux poplog he will
include rc_graphic precompiled. We include it in our "startup" poplog
image here in Birmingham as otherwise compiling it takes too long.
There's a slight extra overhead for people who don't use rc_graphic, but
on a big shared sparcserver with demand paging I think that's marginal.)

If anyone finds they can compile rc_graphic and also want to use it for
teaching Pop-11 to experienced programmers, I an introductory graphics
based teach file, available as

        ftp://ftp.cs.bham.ac.uk/pub/dist/poplog/teach/gstart

(At Birmingham it is TEACH GSTART). It helps beginners get into Pop-11
faster than our normal teach files.

Aaron

Sun, 26 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Minor bug in B'ham Linux Poplog symlinks

2. Can't display Poplog on Linux

3. Can't display Poplog on Linux

4. Beginner's 'enum' question

5. the old free linux poplog comes to life on suse linux

6. Sorry it's beginner's question..

7. TK beginners question - how to 'beep'

8. Beginners question --- getting Gnat running under Linux

9. Beginner asks question about Python on Linux

10. Beginner's J question #12 - locales

11. Beginner's J question

12. Beginner's J questions, vol. 3