[Fwd: Re: Problem installing PopLog on RedHat 9 - error in
Author Message
 [Fwd: Re: Problem installing PopLog on RedHat 9 - error in

>If I run mklibpop on redhat 8 I get a lot of warnings, though it does
>actually rebuild the library.

I just ran mklibpop under Red Hat 9 but got no warnings.

--
Steve

Fri, 21 Oct 2005 18:13:45 GMT
 [Fwd: Re: Problem installing PopLog on RedHat 9 - error in

Quote:
Steve Leach writes:
> Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 10:13:45 +0000 (UTC)

[Aaron]

Quote:
> >If I run mklibpop on redhat 8 I get a lot of warnings, though it does
> >actually rebuild the library.

[Steve]

Quote:
> I just ran mklibpop under Red Hat 9 but got no warnings.

I've played some more and find that it depends on the value of the
environment variable $POP_X_INCLUDE which is set by the poplog
login scripts ($usepop/pop/com/popenv (.sh)) and for linux defaults
to /usr/include

With that value I get a lot of warning messages.

What's it's value in your environment?

Under some conditions, which I have not yet sussed out, mklibpop will
not even compile. Instead I get

    c_core.c:1430: conflicting types for `malloc'
        /usr/include/stdlib.h:554: previous declaration of `malloc'
    c_core.c:1624: conflicting types for `calloc'
        /usr/include/stdlib.h:557: previous declaration of `calloc'

in addition to several warnings of this form:

    cc1: warning: changing search order for system directory "/usr/include"
    cc1: warning:   as it has already been specified as a non-system directory

If I change the environmen variable to ./ or to /usr/X11R6/include
before running mklibpop I get no warnings.

Likewise, I can then run
    $popcom/mkXpw
without any warnings or errors.

This is probably a manifestation of the fact that the poplog system
has a whole lot of start-up scripts for various sub-tasks for
users and developers (e.g. $usepop/pop/com/get_archive_args )
which were designed to handle a wide variety of platforms
(different combinations of hardware and operating system).
However, linux was added only recently before ISL stopped
developing poplog, and probably a number of things were never
fully tested.

I think the files
    $usepop/pop/com/popenv
    $usepop/pop/com/popenv.sh

need to be altered to set appropriate values for linux.
I.e. in popenv
        case Linux:
        set X_INCL = /usr/X11R6/include/

with the appropriate change in popenv.sh

( Do any linux systems put the X11 stuff somewhere else? )

I note that the popenv file includes the following

        # libXm sometimes depends on libXext
        set XM_FILES = "-lXm -lXt -lXext -lX11"

it may be that that's a cause of some other problems recently
reported.

There's a lot of configuration management stuff in poplog that needs
to be cleaned up or replaced.

Is anyone an expert on xmkmf/imake?

That seems to solve the problem for some other packages I have installed.

Aaron
====
Aaron Sloman, ( http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~axs/ )

PAPERS: http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/research/cogaff/ (And free book on Philosophy of AI)
FREE TOOLS: http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/research/poplog/freepoplog.html

Fri, 21 Oct 2005 23:19:15 GMT

1. [Fwd: Re: Problem installing PopLog on RedHat 9 - error in linking]

2. Problem installing PopLog on RedHat 9 - error in linking

3. Problem installing SimpleScalar 2.0 on Redhat Linux 7.0

4. Problem installing HBC on REDHat 5.0

5. problems installing PGPLOT on redhat linux 9

6. python2.1 install problem on redhat 7.1

7. pyopengl install problem on redhat 8.0

8. Fwd: problem installing 1.6.8 on OS X 10.2

9. experimental patch for poplog for v15.53 on Redhat 9

10. relinking poplog for redhat 7.3

11. Error Condition Re: problem linking BLT under windows (fwd)

12. Installing poplog: some bugs and some thoughts