Folding in VED
Author Message
 Folding in VED

Quote:
> Before this glorious future arrives, there is one feature I would love
> to have incorporated into VED as soon as possible -- and that's
> folding.  I'm always frustrated that when I'm writing a large program
> I can't collapse a bunch of related functions togther into a single
> line.  I thinking that text "folding" (as in the original OCCAM editor)
> could well add something special to VED.

It is always a mistake to pronounce something "hard". But it seems to
me that there is a real problem here, namely the mapping between screen
space and buffer-space. In VED (unlike EMACS) a buffer is conceptually
2-dimensional (EMACS has a 1-dimensional model of a buffer as a string,
which is no doubt optimised behind-the-scenes). Thus the mapping from
buffer space to screen space in VED is a linear transform (if you play the
old projective-geometry hack of homogeneous coordinates). This is deeply
built into VED. Folding would of course change the mapping.

Similar probems arise with a system like Pantechnicon. Here, each logical
sub-unit has an associated size, and the mapping from buffer-space to
screen-space requires a recursive descent through the hierarchy (do-able in
log time if there is a bound on the tree-branching-ration).

Robin

Sat, 15 Jul 1995 02:43:14 GMT

1. Running Ved from Ved

2. General, state-passing fold over a tree [Was: Threading a state through a fold?]

3. 3 stack machine, folded for emailing

4. LMI folded?

5. Bringing Newcomers into the Fold

6. Folding Box Movie

7. Folding Box Movie

8. map, fold animations

9. More on fold

10. Symmetric difference in LC, P-numerals, and fold

11. feeling mangled by folding

12. Threading a state through a fold?