Running Linux Poplog without motif
Author Message
 Running Linux Poplog without motif

If you try to run the new Linux poplog without Motif installed
it complains.

For some time we have been trying to sort out a way of getting
an affordable multi-licence Motif so that Linux Poplog can be
used by students. So far it seems that the cheapest option is
about US $100 per motif user.

Anyhow, after a chat with Clark Morton at ISL (Julian Clinton
was away) I tried relinking the Linux poplog without X, and sure
enough it works fine.

Before relinking you may wish to make copies of
    $usepop/pop/pop
and
    $usepop/pop/lib/psv/
in case you later get Motif and want to restore the original without
relinking. Alternative you can keep both. The versions without
X should start up faster and use less space.

To relink do:

    cd $usepop/pop/src
    newpop -link -nox

On a 200 Mhz pentium it is very fast.

After that everything that does not involve X works fine, i.e.
pop11 prolog common lisp and SML

And ordinary Ved works fine in an Xterm window.

Of course you still need to get a cpu password from ISL to put in
    $usepop/pop/pop/cpu.dat

It's a pity you can't link Poplog to use the Poplog widget set
without linux. It should be possible.

If anyone is using Linux poplog (or any other) and wants any of
the Birmingham Poplog extensions (including Brian Logan's
latest Emacs interface to Poplog) feel free to browse in

    ftp://ftp.cs.bham.ac.uk/pub/dist/poplog

The README file gives an overview of what's available.
Aaron
--
Aaron Sloman, ( http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~axs )

Phone: +44-121-414-4775 (Sec 3711)       Fax:   +44-121-414-4281

Mon, 06 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Running linux poplog with Lesstif (now works)

2. Running the Poplog demo for Linux.

3. Running linux poplog with Lesstif (now works)

4. Running linux poplog with Lesstif (now works)

5. the old free linux poplog comes to life on suse linux

6. Free Motif (better than Lesstif) works with Poplog/Xved

7. geometry for HELP panel in motif Poplog

8. rebuilding poplog for motif

9. linking motif poplog - generic script wanted

10. How do i make my VIs run without the need to click the run button

11. running function autolisp without running AutoCad

12. Poplog running under Windows-95:A faq for a reason