VED's future
Author Message
 VED's future

There's been quite a lot of discussion about the role of VED in Poplog
recently.  While I certainly agree with the emacs-lovers that Poplog
should be properly integrated with emacs, emacs is not the program
development environment I'm looking for.

I think the newly added ability to display text with bold, italic,
underlining (etc) is the right way forward for VED.  I would like to
see VED developing into a word-processor or DTP like system.  And I
would like those facilities integrated into the system so I can apply
them to programs as well as help files.  Emacs is a great system for
manipulating text files.  VED's future doesn't lie in that direction,
in my view, but in the extension to full DTP status.

Before this glorious future arrives, there is one feature I would love
to have incorporated into VED as soon as possible -- and that's
folding.  I'm always frustrated that when I'm writing a large program
I can't collapse a bunch of related functions togther into a single
line.  I thinking that text "folding" (as in the original OCCAM editor)
could well add something special to VED.

Does anyone know how difficult it would be to add this to VED?  I'd really
like to see it.

Steve

Fri, 14 Jul 1995 00:47:27 GMT

1. Running Ved from Ved

2. extending VED's change character attribute facilities

3. Smalltalk's future.

4. Smalltalk's future.

5. Squeak News Dec-Jan, Feb and future issues, and season's greetings

6. Smalltalk's future.

7. Smalltalk's FUTURE

8. Smalltalk's Future??

9. Softvelocity's Future