survey of set based languages
Author Message
 survey of set based languages

Hi folks,

I am doing a survey of high level languages based on sets. The only
information I have currently is on the language SETL. I would appreciate any
pointers to articles, magazines, books, etc. that will have more information
on this issue.

Thanks in advance
--

Fri, 10 Nov 1995 04:18:37 GMT
 survey of set based languages

Quote:
(The Universal Hacker) writes:

|> I am doing a survey of high level languages based on sets. The only
|> information I have currently is on the language SETL. I would
|> appreciate any pointers to articles, magazines, books, etc. that
|> will have more information on this issue.

You may want to look at some developments in the area of database
programming languages (DBPL), especially those based on the relational
model.  After all, relations are sets of tuples (or records, if
you prefer).  Of course, the database people also look at issues
like persistence (what to do with data that should "live" longer
than your program runs) and concurrency control (what to do if
several programs try to update the same data), issues which may
be peripheral to your interests.

The earliest database programming language that I know of was
Pascal/R, an extension of Pascal with the datatype relation,
proposed by J.W. Schmidt of the University of Hamburg.  A
description of this work is found in ACM Transactions on Database
Systems, 1977.  This work evolved into Modula/R and DBPL.
Other efforts were Plain and Rigel (both described in the ACM
SIGMOD 1979 proceedings), and a bunch of other efforts (Astral,
Adaplex, PS-Algol, and Galileo are a few of the projects that
come to mind, although I don't know if they've all been implemented).

There are a few proceedings on DBPL-conferences, although I don't
remember if they were published by ACM or IEEE or ... .  There is also a
book on DBPL by ACM Press, although I don't recall the editor(s).
(either F. Bancilhon or P. Buneman may have been one of them).

You may also want to post your query to comp.databases (or better yet,
in comp.databases.theory).

--
Robert Marti                    |  Phone:    +41 1 254 72 60
Informationssysteme             |  FAX:      +41 1 262 39 73

CH-8092 Zurich, Switzerland     |

Fri, 10 Nov 1995 16:12:16 GMT

1. Survey of set based languages

2. Survey of set based languages