PLUG 94
Author Message
 PLUG 94

Well, PLUG 93 is now safely behind us. This year the PLUG conference was held
in conjunction with Expert Systems 93. This had some benefits.

1) The quality of PLUG papers was very much higher than in previous years.
   Presumably authors were spurred on by the thaught of a paper that would count in
   the various UK research assessment exercises. Perhaps, also, authors benefited
   from the reviewers' comments.

2) PLUG communicated its work to a wider audience - the Expert Sytems people.

There were, however, some disadvantages.

3) It cost too much.

4) There were no PLUG Tutorials.

5) The demos were not as well organised as we are used to in PLUG.

There are two options open to us that retain the advantages (1-2), both of which give
us an opportunity to ameliorate the disadvantages (3-5).

A) Run PLUG 94 in conjunction with Expert Systems, but start negotiations earlier.
   (If we start negotiating in January/February we will get more of what we want.)

B) Open Negotiations with AISB. If they are willing to have a PLUG stream then we
   might negotiate everything we want and have a conference that better reflects the
   diversity of PLUG members' interests. However, there is a real question of whether
   AISB would accept us. They have resisted multi-track conferences very strongly in
   the past.

What are your views: A, B, or some other C?

Fri, 07 Jun 1996 23:14:26 GMT
 PLUG 94

Quote:
>    However, there is a real
> question of whether
>    AISB would accept us. They have resisted multi-track conferences very
> strongly in
>    the past.

I don't see any problem with a plug activity in parallel with the AISB
tutorials before the main conference. Also if you wished plug to run
in parallel with the main conference, sharing a site with AISB I can't
see that AISB should object. That is not the same as having an extra
stream for the AISB conference. It might be possible to have a joint
registration for the two events that allowed people to move between
them. As programme chair of AISB93 last April I think I would not have
objected to that sort of arrangement. E.g. you could run PLUG
sessions so as not to clash with the invited talks?

The next major AISB conference would be some time in 1995. They are
every two years.

Aaron
PS
Sorry I couldn't make it this year.

Sun, 09 Jun 1996 23:46:59 GMT
 PLUG 94

Quote:
> I don't see any problem with a plug activity in parallel with the AISB
> tutorials before the main conference. Also if you wished plug to run
> in parallel with the main conference, sharing a site with AISB I can't
> see that AISB should object. That is not the same as having an extra
> stream for the AISB conference. It might be possible to have a joint
> registration for the two events that allowed people to move between
> them. As programme chair of AISB93 last April I think I would not have
> objected to that sort of arrangement. E.g. you could run PLUG
> sessions so as not to clash with the invited talks?

> The next major AISB conference would be some time in 1995. They are
> every two years.

I know that AISB is bi-anual. It might be a good idea for PLUG to join
the whole of the AISB cycle and hold a workshop on alternate years.

What does everyone (Aaron/pop-forum/comp.lang.pop) think?

James Anderson

Mon, 10 Jun 1996 00:15:39 GMT
 PLUG 94

Quote:

> There are two options open to us that retain the advantages (1-2),
> both of which give us an opportunity to ameliorate the
> disadvantages (3-5).

> A) Run PLUG 94 in conjunction with Expert Systems, but start
>    negotiations earlier.  (If we start negotiating in
>    January/February we will get more of what we want.)

> B) Open Negotiations with AISB. If they are willing to have a
>    PLUG stream then we might negotiate everything we want and
>    have a conference that better reflects the diversity of PLUG
>    members' interests. However, there is a real question of
>    whether AISB would accept us. They have resisted multi-track
>    conferences very strongly in the past.

> What are your views: A, B, or some other C?

I think the principal disadvantage with this year's association was
cost.  ES conferences are notoriously expensive, and I certainly
think the cost of the conference would dissuade people attending
*just* for the PLUG component, at a stroke disbarring the conference
to the majority of past attendees (those without ES interests).

We've debated before the merits and demerits of associating PLUG
with a "proper" conference, but from your summary of the conference
(anyone else willing to provide a report?) it appears that this year
we certainly benefited on the quality of presentation aspects, as
well of course in the quality of organisation.

So it may well be worth pursuing the association option for another
year, but I concur that AISB might be a better host, if we can
persuade them to take us.  So, option "B"'s the one for me.

James
--
School of Cognitive & Computing Sciences,             Talk: +44-(0)273-678587

Brighton BN1 9QH,                           UUCP: ...!mcsun!uknet!cogs!jamesg

Sun, 09 Jun 1996 21:26:29 GMT
 PLUG 94

I like the idea of the AISB conference hosting the PLUG event. (It might
mean that I'd actually get to the PLUG event...) And I'm sure Aaron's

right in thinking that there would be ways for AISB to host PLUG without
turning AISB into a multi-stream conference.

The next AISB committee meeting is in April sometime I think. So if
someone produces a proposal it could be discussed then.

Chris T

Tue, 11 Jun 1996 20:48:34 GMT

1. PLUG 94

2. PLUG 94

3. CFP (2nd): Parallel Symbolic Computation Symposium '94 (PASCO'94)

4. Important PLDI '94 Hotel Information (Mouse, Fla., JUn 94)

5. PEPM'94 Advance program (Jun 94, Orlando)

6. POPL '94 program and registration form (Portland OR, Jan 94)

7. PEPM'94 Advance program (Jun 94, Orlando)

8. CFP (2nd): Parallel Symbolic Computation Symposium '94 (PASCO'94)

9. ParcPlace Int'l Users Conference, 7/31/94-8/2/94, Santa Clara CA

10. PLDI '94 Conference Announcement (June 94, Mouse, Fla.)

11. Computer Graphics, Mathematical Visualization, APL, and J - 28 FEB 94

12. every 94 chars as a new line