sys_open_url and proxies
Author Message
 sys_open_url and proxies

Hi

In version 15.53 the is a new procedure showlib * sys_open_url
The will open files using ftp or http protocols. There is also the ved
command ved_ftp to open a file using ftp in a ved buffer.

I have written a ved_http command along the same lines as
ved_ftp. However here at the University access to external
http servers has to go via the Universities proxy server.

Before I start rewriting the code has anyone got sys_open_url to
work with http proxies or indeed know the commands I need to
use to authenticate with the proxy. The HTTP specification
did not seem to have this information ;-(.

--
Anthony Worrall
School IT Networking Coordinator

Fri, 28 Nov 2003 18:47:52 GMT
 sys_open_url and proxies
If I can follow-up my own message I have also discovered that
sys_open_url does not support the use of passive ftp which
we need here as our firewall does not allow incoming connections.

I have modified the code so it will use passive ftp if the global
variable FTP_USE_PASV is true.

The question is is this a good way to control the ftp protocol or
should there be an optional argument to sys_open_url which has
flags for the particular protocol?

Quote:

--
Anthony Worrall
School IT Networking Coordinator
The University of Reading,
School of Computer Science, {*filter*}netics and Electronic Engineering
Department of Computer Science,
Whiteknights, PO Box 225
Reading,
Berkshire, UK
RG6 6AY
Tel:   +44 (0)1189 318610
Fax:   +44 (0)1189 751994

Sat, 29 Nov 2003 17:00:19 GMT
 sys_open_url and proxies

Quote:
> Before I start rewriting the code has anyone got sys_open_url to
> work with http proxies or indeed know the commands I need to use to
> authenticate with the proxy. The HTTP specification did not seem to
> have this information ;-(.

Does the proxy require authentication? If not you can probably adapt
the Lisp or Dylan code I use for working through proxy servers. See:

  http://www.double.co.nz/cl
  http://www.double.co.nz/dylan

Look for the Dylan proxy-sockets or the Lisp Sockets package. The SSL
sockets package for both languages shows how to tunnel SSL through a
proxy.

It also depends on your proxy server. Do you know what it is? If it is
a Microsoft Proxy Server 2.0 it might be using NTLM authentication
which is harder to work through. In that case I'd recommend using
something like an HTTP Proxy instead:

  http://www.htthost.com

Chris.
--
http://www.double.co.nz/dylan

Sat, 29 Nov 2003 18:32:14 GMT

1. Bugs corrected in DBD/ODBC/ODBC.rb and DBD/Proxy/Proxy.rb

2. Proxy Server using TCL - PROXY.TXT (0/1)

3. Net::HTTP class: proxy user and proxy password args?

4. Proxy

5. Automatic protocol proxies to delegates instead of mixins or traits

6. Proxy Object as NonObject Subclass

7. Proxy reference help

8. Postings from Proxies and Dynamic Consulting

9. Defination of theFunction of a Proxy?

10. server or proxy

11. Proxy

12. NYC ST meeting / Topic: Proxy Pattern in Smalltalk and Java