oh *drat*, xved falls over on redhat 7.3 
Author Message
 oh *drat*, xved falls over on redhat 7.3

Dear All

I have just switched to a new machine running red Hat 7.3 (my old
beast ran 7.2) and Xved has decided it doesn't want to play. It falls
over in xved_standalone_setup with

;;; MISHAP - ste: STACK EMPTY (missing argument? missing result?)
;;; DOING    :  sys_exception_final sys_exception_handler
;;;     sys_raise_exception() xved_standalone_setup setpop

and some poking says that it's really failing in xvedsetup.

Any suggestions?

PS plain Ved is also unhappy with the key bindings I use, but I may
manage to sort that out myself.

--
Chris "feeling deprived" Dollin



Tue, 26 Oct 2004 17:22:48 GMT  
 oh *drat*, xved falls over on redhat 7.3
[To reply replace "Aaron.Sloman.XX" with "A.Sloman"]

Quote:

> Date: 10 May 2002 09:22:48 GMT
> Organization: Hewlett-Packard Laboratories, Bristol, UK

> Dear All

> I have just switched to a new machine running red Hat 7.3 (my old
> beast ran 7.2) and Xved has decided it doesn't want to play. It falls
> over in xved_standalone_setup with

> ;;; MISHAP - ste: STACK EMPTY (missing argument? missing result?)
> ;;; DOING    :  sys_exception_final sys_exception_handler
> ;;;     sys_raise_exception() xved_standalone_setup setpop

> and some poking says that it's really failing in xvedsetup.

This is very alarming. I don't know anyone else who has tried 7.3

have you tried recompiling the poplog X widget stuff
    $usepop/pop/com/mkXpw

Or perhaps relink everything?

    $usepop/pop/src/newpop -link

This assumes that you have
    $usepop/pop/pop/corepop
    $usepop/pop/pop/newpop.psv

it's just possible (but unlikely) that you will have to rebuild
newpop.psv (and other saved images).

See this file
    http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/research/poplog/sysdoc/rebuilding

Or this script
    http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/research/poplog/tools/relinking.linux.poplog

If those measures do not fix your problem it may be worth
investigating to see whether the problem lies with Xved or with any
use of X in poplog. E.g. can you compile and use LIB rc_graphic
    uses popxlib
    uses rc_graphic
    rc_start();

If you can't do anything, try re-linking poplog not to use motif
(are you using motif?) and see if that helps.

As a last resort put print commands throughout the xvesetup
procedure (in $usepop/pop/x/ved/src/xvedsetup.p )

    1 =>
    2 =>

etc. so that you can see see how far it gets before crashing.
(you'll have to rebuild startup.psv or else start from basepop11
and compile xved).

Quote:
> PS plain Ved is also unhappy with the key bindings I use, but I may
> manage to sort that out myself.

We use a system that works across a variety of platforms, using the
format specified in

    http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/research/poplog/help/ncdxtermkeys

Aaron
====
Aaron Sloman, ( http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~axs/ )
School of Computer Science, The University of Birmingham, B15 2TT, UK

PAPERS: http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/research/cogaff/ (And free book on Philosophy of AI)
FREE TOOLS: http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/research/poplog/freepoplog.html



Tue, 26 Oct 2004 18:41:11 GMT  
 oh *drat*, xved falls over on redhat 7.3


Quote:


>> I have just switched to a new machine running red Hat 7.3 (my old
>> beast ran 7.2) and Xved has decided it doesn't want to play. It falls
>> over in xved_standalone_setup with [...]
>> and some poking says that it's really failing in xvedsetup.

> This is very alarming. I don't know anyone else who has tried 7.3

> have you tried recompiling the poplog X widget stuff
>     $usepop/pop/com/mkXpw

[deletions]

The easy options did not work; but I did what the /rebuilding document
said, and lo! xved, he stands, he walks, he runs!

Thanks very much, Aaron; my sanity, such as it is, will be preserved
a while yet.

It's been so plainless moving in recent years that I had forgotten
everything I ever knew about the core system ...

--
Chris "electric hedgehog" Dollin
C FAQs at: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/by-newsgroup/comp/comp.lang.c.html
C welcome: http://www.angelfire.com/ms3/bchambless0/welcome_to_clc.html



Tue, 26 Oct 2004 20:51:39 GMT  
 oh *drat*, xved falls over on redhat 7.3

Quote:

> > Date: 10 May 2002 09:22:48 GMT
> > Organization: Hewlett-Packard Laboratories, Bristol, UK

> > Dear All

> > I have just switched to a new machine running red Hat 7.3 (my old
> > beast ran 7.2) and Xved has decided it doesn't want to play. It falls
> > over in xved_standalone_setup with

> > ;;; MISHAP - ste: STACK EMPTY (missing argument? missing result?)
> > ;;; DOING    :  sys_exception_final sys_exception_handler
> > ;;;     sys_raise_exception() xved_standalone_setup setpop

> > and some poking says that it's really failing in xvedsetup.

> This is very alarming. I don't know anyone else who has tried 7.3

> have you tried ..........

Let's rephrase this to:
 "redhat 7.3 falls over on xved".

 Alarming for redhat 7.3, not poplog which is mature and stable ?

Quote:
> The standard Red Hat 7.x installer won't work in 8MB. You need at
> least 32MB, or try using the RULE installer
> (http://www.rule-project.org)

It's getting bigger but is it getting better ?

-- Chris Glur.



Sun, 31 Oct 2004 01:14:42 GMT  
 
 [ 4 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. strange behaviour of LIB mkind on redhat 7.3 (sysfileok problem)

2. relinking poplog for redhat 7.3

3. bash via ved:imsh under Redhat 7.3

4. Ruby in Redhat 7.3

5. PHP 4.2.2 or 4.2.3 on RedHat 7.3

6. RedHat 7.3

7. RedHat 7.3 (Kevin Dahlhausen)

8. RedHat 7.3 and Python2.2.1

9. Redhat 7.3 PHP RPM + Payflow Pro functions -- HELP

10. PyXML-0.7.1, python-2.2.1, and Redhat 7.3

11. PHP 4.1.2 on apache 1.3.23, on RedHat 7.3 - weird problem with LoadModule php4_module

12. Help Porting PHP Sites from Solaris to RedHat 7.3

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software