VED in VT100 mode
Author Message
 VED in VT100 mode

I've been having problems running VED on our Dec Alpha on the so-called
VT100-compatible terminal emulators. I sometimes find that although, when
it's first started up, the display is fine, scrolling gets the screen
image out of sync with the buffer. Quite often, the status line will be
overwritten by the first line of the buffer, or the line at the bottom
of the buffer will appear twice on the screen.

I had similar problems many years ago when running VED on some of our
VT100 terminals, and the cause then turned out to be that it was not
quite adhering to the VT100 standard: I think it was failing to emit
a semicolon in one of the control sequences, or a second half of some
control code just after this semicolon. I wonder whether this bug
persists, and is now upsetting our emulators. Has anyone else experienced
similar difficulties?

Jocelyn Paine

Sun, 24 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 VED in VT100 mode

Quote:

> Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 11:15:42 +0100

> I've been having problems running VED on our Dec Alpha on the so-called
> VT100-compatible terminal emulators.

Could you say more precisely what you are using?

We have Poplog V15.5 running on our DEC Alphastations and DEC Alpha
servers. It is used both by students and others at an Alpha
workstation, running either Xved, or VED in an Xterm window.

(We don't use the DEC window manager by default, instead everyone
gets twm by default so that they have the same interface whether
they log in on a Sun, a Dec alpha, an X terminal connected to a sun
or an Alpha, or a PC running X).

There was a problem in Poplog V15.01 on the alphas, to do with
compilation errors not being handled properly in VED, but that was
fixed in V15.5, and it doesn't sound like your problem.

Quote:
> I sometimes find that although, when
> it's first started up, the display is fine, scrolling gets the screen
> image out of sync with the buffer.

This could be due to the the VT100 emulation on your terminal being
buggy.

It could be due the problems with line wrap (fix that by either
turning off line wrap in the VT100 emulation, or add an extra column
to the window, or reduce vedscreenwidth by 1. (It should normally be
1 less than the actual screen width. Try making it 2 less.) The
symptom for this is the problem occurring only when there is a long
line at the bottom of the window.

Quote:
> I wonder whether this bug
> persists, and is now upsetting our emulators. Has anyone else experienced
> similar difficulties?

If you are running VT100 emulators under X, why not ditch them and
use xterm windows instead. If you are using a PC you should be able
to use X, and then students can use graphics also. (I have X menu
panels that make it much easier for people to start off on VED even
without Xved).

Even Macs can run X.... Maybe the problem is the cost of the X
software?

Aaron
--
Aaron Sloman, ( http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~axs )

Phone: +44-121-414-4775 (Sec 3711)       Fax:   +44-121-414-4281

Sun, 24 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. VED in VT100 mode

2. ved and modes

3. modes, ved, emacs, UI

4. Running Ved from Ved

5. Modes for ved

6. VT100 emulator

7. TERMINAL VT100 IN CLIPPER

8. VT100 LabVIEW VI's

9. Looking for VT100 emulator in Z80 source

10. vt100 programming problem

11. VT100 specs

12. REQ: 80x86 VT100 terminal emulation assembly code!!!