nupop202/serial/RETR-mailheaders
Author Message
 nupop202/serial/RETR-mailheaders

Quote:
>> I could not - for whatever reason - post to 'info.nupop'...

 I have configured nupop (v.2.0.2.) scripts to make a serial
connection to our pop3-server. I dial the PABX terminal-
server. One service of this server is telnet. I make a telnet
connection to the pop-server (port 110) when retrieving mails,
and to the smpt-server (port 25) when sending mails. Everything
works fine. But - in retrieving mails - I found out in the trace
log that every header is transferred first, then the header with
body of mail. As I use a 2400 modem, this takes a lot of extra
time. What is the use of retrieving the header first? When Nupop
has to detect it first, I see no use in retrieving the
header *again* every second time (RETR=retry/retrieve? - retrieve
I suppose). I have added the main part of the log below. Thanks!

ps1. I'm a bit surprised to see nupop does not use any form of
 compression - in sending/receiving mails.
ps2. I'v configured nupop for a slow xt with 2400 modem. An
 ideal pc for inexpensive internetting ;-)

 Fred Melssen

=======================

 ----> trace window

Quote:
>>Modem response was <10>
>>Sending string <|>

DECserver 200 Terminal Server V3.1 (BL37) - LAT V5.1
-- DS200  PABX-users en Services      --
Please type HELP if you need assistance
Quote:
>>Sending string <c TELNET|>

Local>>>Sending string <open|>
Quote:
>>Sending string <mc01.azn.kun.nl 110|>

Waiting for a line starting with a <+>
Error signalled if line starts with a <->
<--" c TELNET"
<--"Local -010- Session 1 to TELNET on node KUNIX1 established[K"
<--"[K"
<--""
<--"LAT to TELNET gateway on ultrix"
<--"telnet> open"
<--"(to) mc01.azn.kun.nl 110"
<--"Trying 131.174.83.229..."
<--"Connected to mc01.azn.kun.nl."
<--"Escape character is '^]'."
<--"+OK POP3 Server PMDF5.0-1 at Mon, 27 Nov 1995 21:37:02 +0100 (MET)

-->USER melssen
Waiting for a line starting with a <+OK>
Error signalled if line starts with a <-ERR>
<--"USER melssen"
<--"+OK USER completed"
-->****************
-->
Waiting for a line starting with a <+OK>
Error signalled if line starts with a <-ERR>
<--"derf"
<--"+OK Mailbox open, 1 messages"
-->STAT
Waiting for a line starting with a <+OK>
Error signalled if line starts with a <-ERR>
<--"STAT"
<--"+OK 1 954"
-->LIST 1
Waiting for a line starting with a <+OK>
Error signalled if line starts with a <-ERR>
<--"LIST 1"
<--"+OK 1 954"
-->TOP 1 1
Waiting for a line starting with a <+OK>
Error signalled if line starts with a <-ERR>
<--"TOP 1 1"
<--"+OK Top of message follows"

 [SNIP SNIP]

 body of mail...

-->RETR 1
Waiting for a line starting with a <+OK>
Error signalled if line starts with a <-ERR>
<--"RETR 1"
<--"+OK 954 octets"

[SNIP SNIP]

Sat, 16 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT

2. We need importers,distributors,resellers,salesreps

3. RS-485 Half Duplex and Serial vi's

4. push botton for RS 232 serial bus

5. serial (rs-232) input through digital i/o

6. Need to accept continuous RS-232 data over serial line

7. JAI CV-M10 RS serial interface

8. Programming the RS-232 Serial card for external controller

9. Nee help with Serial IO (RS-232) using ADA

10. Ways to Implement an RS-232 Serial Interface in Ada