Forwarded: java interface and x window emulator
Author Message
 Forwarded: java interface and x window emulator

Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 01:24:59 -0300

Hi,
I am a begginer with pop-11 e poplog and I am running it under Windows 98.
I want to know two things:

- Which "X window emulator" can I use to have a graphic interface?
- Is there an Java Interface to use with Poplog?

Thanks all.
Ligia.

Fri, 10 Dec 2004 01:50:48 GMT
 Forwarded: java interface and x window emulator
[To reply replace "Aaron.Sloman.XX" with "A.Sloman"]

Quote:

> Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 01:24:59 -0300

> Hi,
> I am a begginer with pop-11 e poplog and I am running it under Windows 98.
> I want to know two things:

> - Which "X window emulator" can I use to have a graphic interface?
> - Is there an Java Interface to use with Poplog?

> Thanks all.
> Ligia.

Alas, I don't know of any way of getting the linux/unix poplog
graphical facilities to work with windows poplog.

If you wish to have access to the poplog graphical facilties, e.g.
those demonstrated here,
    http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/research/poplog/figs/rclib/

You have only two options at present:
1. Either run poplog on a unix/linux machine (e.g. PC+Linux --
remember linux is free and you can combine linux and windows on
one machine if you have enough spare disk space and don't mind
having to reboot to switch between windows and linux)

2. Run Poplog remotely on a linux/unix machine to which you connect
using an X server emulator, such as eXceed. I don't know if there
are any others. Some of my colleagues use eXceed regularly and it
seems to work, though I don't use it myself as I never use windows.

Maybe one day somebody who understands poplog and windows graphics
will extend windows poplog to use graphics.

It may be worth mentioning that the Clementine data-mining system,
originally developed by ISL and now distributed by SPSS
describe here:
        http://www.spss.com/spssbi/clementine/
        http://www.isl.co.uk
was originally developed on unix poplog and then ported to windows
NT, using an expensive X emulator.

Incidentally anyone who wishes to send email direc to

instead of posting to comp.lang.pop should join the email list,
since otherwise the messages will be blocked until I find time to
forward them. Moreover, unless you are on the list you may not
see the replies sent there.

To join pop-forum send a message to

from your normal email address, and include just one line
in your message:

    subscribe pop-forum

The list is now spam free as I do not allow spam to be forwarded.

Aaron
====
Aaron Sloman, ( http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~axs/ )

PAPERS: http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/research/cogaff/ (And free book on Philosophy of AI)
FREE TOOLS: http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/research/poplog/freepoplog.html

Fri, 10 Dec 2004 04:34:05 GMT
 Forwarded: java interface and x window emulator

From: "Ligia" <ligiafab AT inbrapenet.com.br>

Writes:

Quote:
> Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 01:24:59 -0300

> Hi,
> I am a begginer with pop-11 e poplog and I am running it under Windows 98.
> I want to know two things:

> - Which "X window emulator" can I use to have a graphic interface?

If you wish to use poplog with a graphic interface then you will
have to run it on a linux or unix system.

If you can get linux running on your PC it should be far more robust
and reliable than Windows. And it is completely free of charge.

Quote:
> - Is there an Java Interface to use with Poplog?

Not that I know of. Someone may one day development one, but I don't
know of any work in progress.

Quote:

====
Aaron Sloman, ( http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~axs/ )

PAPERS: http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/research/cogaff/ (And free book on Philosophy of AI)
FREE TOOLS: http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/research/poplog/freepoplog.html

Tue, 28 Dec 2004 06:36:26 GMT

1. Forwarded: java interface and x window emulator

2. Interface Woes...Emulator/TCP/IP or GDDM?

3. Looking for Interface for terminal emulator

4. Forwarded Re: INVALID ARRAY SUBSCRIPT leads to Pop core dump (PC linux + Windows 2000)

5. Forwarded: Prolog, windows and buffered output?

6. Forwarded: Prolog, windows and buffered output?

7. Forwarded Re: Fw: Re: Windows questions: New user

8. Forwarded: Re: Windows questions: New user

9. Forwarded: Still Windows problems with popautolib?

10. VWNC30 on PowerMac with Windows emulator?

11. Looking for IBM 3270 Terminal Emulator for Windows

12. MacOS Emulator for Windows ?